The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is the husband and father of two well known riders. He only been riding for a few years and his work schedule does not allow him to practice too much. His horse is perfect and has won a lot. This was Easter Sunday and he asked the judge's permission to celebrate by wearing his pink jacket with lime green lining. It was a wonderful, festive way to celebrate Easter and the end of circuit. He rode great and everyone who was there loved the outfit!! Kudos to him for making everyone smile that day and Congrats to him on a job well done!!!

36 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I believe this was for breast cancer awareness week at WEF.
    This was week 12, so not breast cancer awareness week.

Now for me personally I like a more bubble gum pink. My husband has yet to find me a gun with the correct shade of pink. If hunt coats were one day not traditional colors and people started going for fun ones I would totally rock a bubble gum pink jacket. I admit that I like that black hunt coat with the pink piping that that crazy British chick designed...Katie...Price? but would never wear it unless tradition changed or something fun like what this guy is doing. Where do you suppose he found it? Custom made?

Those were really 2'6"???

I HATE the jacket!!!! if it was for Breast Cancer Awareness, I'd be marginally more accepting, but not for Easter. I hate, hate, hate it.....

the horse I like
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

1 members found this post helpful.

Cool love it

Leave him alone...the rider (a DAD) asked the judge's permission and rode beautifully, yes beautifully because he let his absolutely gorgeous horse do his/her job perfectly. My goodness people...lighten up. This DAD did and he still placed!!!!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by majanick View Post
    This is the husband and father of two well known riders. He only been riding for a few years and his work schedule does not allow him to practice too much. His horse is perfect and has won a lot. This was Easter Sunday and he asked the judge's permission to celebrate by wearing his pink jacket with lime green lining. It was a wonderful, festive way to celebrate Easter and the end of circuit. He rode great and everyone who was there loved the outfit!! Kudos to him for making everyone smile that day and Congrats to him on a job well done!!!
    I'm with you... We H/J riders are so critical- sometimes we need to just enjoy watching another rider having fun with their horse, equitation is important but it does not supersede enjoyment of the sport! I love the jacket and kudos to him for wearing it and not having to come to COTH to ask if it's on trend for this year he did a great job

12 members found this post helpful.

My first thought for his round was that he was a cross over from another discipline like barrel racing or something where you urge a horse on with your hands. His seat looked so soft and natural that I assumed he was somewhat new over fences but not on horseback in general.

Lovely horse and they make a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesrealfast View Post
    Leave him alone...the rider (a DAD) asked the judge's permission and rode beautifully, yes beautifully because he let his absolutely gorgeous horse do his/her job perfectly. My goodness people...lighten up. This DAD did and he still placed!!!!
    Really! The Dad bit is irrelevant, but the guy is obviously having fun, the horse is obviously having fun, no one is getting hurt. Everyone is happy...if you don't like the jacket, don't wear one like it.

There are people who are irreverant and have a sense of humor...learn to live with them, they'll make your live more tolerable .

I loved the jacket, not only perfect for breast cancer awareness but for Florida.

We should all be so lucky to ride as older adults and have the joy of competing on a great horse.

Kick on ...... signed Old Lady Amateur

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Uncalled for. He's obviously a beginner and certainly did not ask to be critiqued. Let's not pretend we all rode perfectly when we were learning to jump.

I was a little surprised by the coat, but I actually think it looks kind of nice on a grey.
    Heck, I've been riding 30+ years and STILL don't ride perfectly. I think the rider is doing a fine job on a nice horse! And he is rockin' the jacket!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Smile This made me smile!

I loved it all - the jacket, the horse (to die for!), and the rider, who I thought did a great job letting his horse do his thing. This is what it is supposed to be about for amateurs - getting out there and having a good time! And, if you can have a little style while doing it, then why not?
    Proud Member of Team Barbaro!!!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I think he just needs some spurs.

Just curious, is there anyone left on Planet Earth now who is not "aware," as in continuously scared sh*tless, of BC? My mom and sister-in-law have both had it, and if there is ONE THING we'd like to be able to forget about (gee, 15 minutes would be enough!) it would be the Sword of Damocles hanging over all our heads.

Please forgive my rant, but I am SOOOOOOO tired of being reminded of "morbidity and mortality" every time I pick up a show program, a tack catalog, a can of peas, or even walk past a trash can in the train station. Just . . . ENUFF!

NO ONE, especially those who've dealt with it, want to have to think about it all the time. NO ONE. It's like a continual mental beating. Rant over.

I understand your frustration Lady Ebshi, but this campaign has really made a LOT of money to help with the cure. It's a trade off. We all are aware, but that slogan is what helps them get donations so less people have to suffer.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I love this vid! The horse + rider combo is great, and they look beautiful, pink jacket and all. Makes me want to go out and ride, actually...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I understand your frustration Lady Ebshi, but this campaign has really made a LOT of money to help with the cure. It's a trade off. We all are aware, but that slogan is what helps them get donations so less people have to suffer.
    Not as much as you'd think...
    http://www.guidestar.org/organizatio...al-office.aspx
    You'll want to look at their 990. You can create a free account to see it.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_793176.html
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Default Be not deceived . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Not as much as you'd think...
    http://www.guidestar.org/organizatio...al-office.aspx
    You'll want to look at their 990. You can create a free account to see it.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_793176.html
    Yep, hate to be the pigeon that craps on the Pink Parade, but there are some things people need to know before thinking this is all Dr. Feelgood "for a good cause." Read this site thoroughly; Breast Cancer Action lifts up a lot of the rocks and gives it to you straight:

http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org/?page_id=13

If most/some/ANY of the money was going toward research into WHERE this disease is coming from and exploring meaningful PREVENTION, I would be right there pinked out beyond belief too. The trouble is, they're not. It's all about "The Cure," aka "treatment" and the trouble with that is, there AIN'T no stinkin' "cure." It's STILL slash, poison and burn and even if you survive THAT and it doesn't come back, you WILL have significant disabilities for life that they will NOT inform you of fully going in. Because they honestly don't know what it may do to any individual. You find this out, of course, AFTER the fact. Nor can they tell you with anything other than a handicapper's crapshoot if all that "cure" DID anything at all. But it sure does pay well, hence all those new "Cancer Centers" named after the recently deceased!

There are some important theories about what is driving this disease process and they are carefully NOT being explored by the BC community which makes tons, I mean BOATLOADS, of money off of your and my FEAR. Including the fine ladies of Susan G. Komen who are not only right-wingnuts (you remember Planned Parenthood last year?) but ALSO privately own a major chain of mammography clinics. FASCINATING to peer inside this icky little world.

Be afraid--be VERY afraid. But don't believe the marketing, decide for yourself what if anything you need to "do" about it, and be very careful which happy-horsesh*t "charity" you give your dollars to.

Do not assume altruism where there is money to be made. EVER.

Look, if when it comes to finding a cure, there are many things at stake here. First of all, there isn't much money to be made my big pharma with curing as there is with maintaining. Second, while I agree a lot of these organization could use their finances better, there is one HUGE thing that Komen does provide - screenings for women who would otherwise not be able to afford them. A cure does no good if there is no awareness and people can't be aware. It would be great if big pharma would focus on a cure, but for now we are stuck with prevention and catching it early.
    I am speaking from experience as a close friend just found her BC is back. Two years ago she was diagnosed with a very agressive form, and now it is stage 4 and spread to her bones. She is 28!
    If my doing the ride for cure "donates" a mamogram to a woman who could not otherwise afford it, I am more that willing to do it.

This thread has officially jumped the pink shark.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi
    It's STILL slash, poison and burn and even if you survive THAT and it doesn't come back, you WILL have significant disabilities for life that they will NOT inform you of fully going in. Because they honestly don't know what it may do to any individual. You find this out, of course, AFTER the fact. Nor can they tell you with anything other than a handicapper's crapshoot if all that "cure" DID anything at all.
    Sorry , I'm not buying this. Not everyone who undergoes breast cancer treatment ends up with significant disabilities for life because of the treatment. And if you or your family members are seeing doctors who don't give you detailed information on risks and prognosis BEFORE treatment takes place, your entire family needs to find new doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
    Look, if when it comes to finding a cure, there are many things at stake here. First of all, there isn't much money to be made my big pharma with curing as there is with maintaining. Second, while I agree a lot of these organization could use their finances better, there is one HUGE thing that Komen does provide - screenings for women who would otherwise not be able to afford them. A cure does no good if there is no awareness and people can't be aware. It would be great if big pharma would focus on a cure, but for now we are stuck with prevention and catching it early.
    I am speaking from experience as a close friend just found her BC is back. Two years ago she was diagnosed with a very agressive form, and now it is stage 4 and spread to her bones. She is 28!
    If my doing the ride for cure "donates" a mamogram to a woman who could not otherwise afford it, I am more that willing to do it.
    Big Pharma isn't jumping on a cure because academia hasn't yet come up with one that makes sense to jump on. Or maybe potential cures are being discovered every day, but the projects don't make it past the very early stages of development (that no one ever hears about) due to lack of safety or effectiveness upon further investigation (it happens every day in the life of Big Pharma, at a huge cost). It costs a TON of money and then some to take a drug from early development to market. If you want to blame someone for lack of cure, blame the NIH for cutting grants to university researchers. That's where most of this stuff has to start.

And don't be so sure that "there isn't much money to be made my [sic] big pharma with curing as there is with maintaining". Have you ever heard of vaccines? Those don't maintain OR cure; they PREVENT DISEASE ALTOGETHER.