The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    In a big division at an A show?!? That has not been my experience. At all. Not unless there were so few horses in the class that they all got ribbons.
    Yeah, I agree. A simple change is a break of gait = automatic 55.

2 members found this post helpful.

I didn't even think about having cash instead of my charge card. That definitely a good thing to know haha.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHunter View Post
    Well we wouldn't be in the actual rated division of the show since it's the baby greens. But I'm pretty sure he will have them by then (fingers crossed). We just started jumping less than 2 months ago and he only even started being ridden this past October. We can bring our own golf cart then? I also was planning on bringing my dog (very well behaved around people and horses) do I have to bring proof of shots for him?
    Yes, you can bring your own golf cart. The baby greens that pin will have clean flying changes. Not sure about proof of shots, but I'm leaning toward no.

I have some trips on my YouTube account of a horse in the baby greens at an AA show last year (not as many horses in the class as there will be at HITS) if you want an idea of what pins.

Every hunter division at an A show is judged by the same standards, unless something different is specified in the prize list, like "simple changes not to be penalized" for a particular division. So from Pre-Children's to Baby Greens to Conformation hunters, they are all trying to have eight good jumps with smooth lead changes as needed between the jumps. Some will come closer than others to that ideal, but everybody is shooting for the same goal.

Also, if you bring your dog to Saugerties, keep it close to you. I know somebody who had his dogs grabbed there by a local who tried to ransom them back to my friend. Very scary.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
    Also, you can get a food card at the office. It's a card with a number and you can "charge" the food at the "restaurant" and they add it to your horse show bill when you check out! Very handy, especially if you are dying of thirst and have no cash. (ask how I know this lol)
    Definitely wish I had known this!!!
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Definitely wish I had known this!!!
    It may not have been there when you were, I think they just introduced that option last year.

it was there when I showed there last in 2008. I know Culpeper has it so I would think Saugerties would as well?

Going on the HITS website will provide you with updated information regarding health requirements. I hope you have a great time, hun!

www.hitsshows.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
    it was there when I showed there last in 2008. I know Culpeper has it so I would think Saugerties would as well?
    I know Saugerties has it now, but they made a big deal out of it last spring, which leads me to think either that it was new or that few people were aware of it and so it was a service that wasn't getting used.

I have to ask. Is there a fee tacked onto the food card?

They've had the food cards since at least 2011, which is the last time I showed there. There is no fee attached to the card. I'm pretty sure I just left a separate check in the horse show office for it.

OP, I would not expect a ribbon without a clean change. But you can still go and have fun with your friends and gain valuable mileage for your horse. Also, be aware that not all of the hotels or B&Bs allow dogs, and even the Kingston hotels that accept them can fill up quickly depending on which weeks you go.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyHalter View Post
    There is no fee attached to the card. I'm pretty sure I just left a separate check in the horse show office for it.
    Huh. Interesting. Thanks!

Has anyone ever started in the campgrounds? Someone mentioned it here before. I doubt we'd go that route but I couldn't even find information on showers or bathrooms? In the baby green division how important to your success is a completely solid lead change? My guy has just been starting to toy around with them and very consistently gets the front but gets the back probably 60% of the time. We still have plenty of time to get them more solid but wondering what happens if worst case we had to do a simple change?
    Rain. Every single day. And when you leave there will be sun.

There are no showers or bathrooms, it's not really a true campground. It's an RV area where you pay for a space for a week and hook up your camper. Then you can use the water and electricity in your own vehicle.

Don't stay at the Rodeway, at least not in the smoking rooms. gross.

It's a big showgrounds and the competition level runs the gamut; you won't necessarily find tip top competition in the unrated divisions but classes can be very big. Definitely bring wheels of some sort or you'll walk youself to death. You can also rent a golf cart there.

I haven't been to Saugerties in at least 2 or 3 years, and I remember there were food cards, so its nothing new, maybe last year they were just trying to encourage more people to take advantage of them.

Bring rain gear and maybe it won't rain. Bring bikes. Go to El Rancho! For a close by option you may be able to find a room at the Greens Inn (sp?) right near the show

And make sure your horse's shoes are stuck on tight, I have never paid so much to have a shoe put on!!!!

Wow thanks everyone! You're all super helpful. I will definitely look into that food card option! It would be so much more convenient. And I'll definitely work on those lead changes. I'm used to my pony who does them completely automatic so remembering ahead of time to ask isn't my strongest feature yet so I'm sure it's me in part. We'll get there, he's a good sport and tries hard = )

Is there anything really different I should know about riding in the Hunter Classic besides a black coat and white shirt? Or pretty much just ride it like I would the rest of my o/f classes?

Wow thanks everyone! You're all super helpful. I will definitely look into that food card option! It would be so much more convenient. And I'll definitely work on those lead changes. I'm used to my pony who does them completely automatic so remembering ahead of time to ask isn't my strongest feature yet so I'm sure it's me in part. We'll get there, he's a good sport and tries hard = )

Is there anything really different I should know about riding in the Hunter Classic besides a black coat and white shirt? Or pretty much just ride it like I would the rest of my o/f classes?
    1) Missing a lead change will likely be a "deal breaker" for ribbons in the baby greens.

2) You do not need a shad (in fact it would look a bit out of place, IMO) in the Bit O Straw. Regular black coat and white shirt are totally appropriate for this class.

Food is good. Yes it rains quite a bit. The walk is very long from the stabling area to the far hunter rings especially.

If you've only done local shows before, be sure your horse is prepared to go into the show ring without having schooled over the course. All schooling at HITS is done in warm up rings with plain rails (no oxers, flowers, walls, etc.) unlike local shows where you are often permitted to jump the actual course in a schooling session before the division begins.

HAVE FUN

I definitely chortled when I read the "torrential rain comment". I was there a few years ago and went out for a morning hack in the rain, and I am still drying out
    Coming from the opposite coast, I got a kick out of it, but I can see how it would be a huge inconvenience. It was sweltering in the sun for a few days too so I spent most of the time drinking cold water and wearing a sun hat that would make the Kentucky Derby proud.
    Also, try to stay close if you can. After a long show day, that 20 min drive to the only available hotel rooms is not the most ideal.