The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What can I expect at HITS Saugerties?

Hey all, I was hoping for some insight on what I might expect or be ready for my first time showing at Saugerties. I've only really shown on our local unrated (but fairly competitive) circuit and I'm really excited to take it the next step and go to a bigger show this summer. My trainer will be coming with me, but I'd like to take as much knowledge with me as I can. I'll only be taking my new greenie into the Baby Green division and probably the Bit O Straw Hunter Classic. Any pointers or advice for a newbie so I know what to expect would be much appreciated!

Be sure that your horse is used to golf carts and large vehicles like water trucks, etc They try to keep all separate but like any other show that large they are necessary and need to be trained for,
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 11-13, 2016

1 members found this post helpful.

Bring a bike or dirt bike or golf cart if you can. It can be a hike to get around at that place.

Expect rain.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    Expect rain.
    Torrential rain.

Definitely bring a bike. And if you can, split your food with someone - it's expensive but the portions are huge, so if you can split it with someone, it's quite affordable (I also think it's delicious because they have pasta, stir fry, and an awesome salad bar).

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    Expect rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Torrential rain.

Haha, of course it will rain. That's the usual case with the shows we attend. It's scorching hot the day before and horrible rain the day of. I have a rain cover that extends up the neck to go over my saddle. Luckily we have golf carts at our barn so he's used to them. That's a good idea about the food! I hadn't thought of that. Thank you = )

Anything else?

Book your hotel way ahead of time. If you don't get into one of the two nice ones (Comfort Inn or Howard Johnson's if memory serves), stay in Kingston. I've tried several of the others in Saugerties and found the 20 min to Kingston well worth the time. And yes, expect blazing heat and torrential rain.

2 members found this post helpful.

Expect overpriced everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateHooves View Post
    Expect overpriced everything.
    My first thought...

Does anyone know if they have improved the ventilation system in the permanent barns? At one point the management was promising ceiling fans, but I haven't been to that show in a few years so have no idea if they came through. Those buildings were toaster ovens. I hope that's no longer the case.

Everything the others have already said, its expensive, but the food is surprisingly good, a bicycle or golf cart is a necessity, although I always end up walking anyway, and it will rain at some point, or else be hot and muggy.

I definitely recommend either HoJo's or the Comfort Inn, they are both about 2 minutes from the showground, otherwise that 20 minute drive from Kingston gets to be old pretty quick. A lot of my friends now rent houses that are within walking distance or almost, of the showgrounds and that is another option which works out well for us, the moms who aren't horsey stay home and cook and do laundry, its great to come home from the show to a home cooked meal.

Torrential Down-pouring Rain! Haha, it always rains! Lots of bikes/golf carts, and lots of walking. =)

Has anyone ever started in the campgrounds? Someone mentioned it here before. I doubt we'd go that route but I couldn't even find information on showers or bathrooms? In the baby green division how important to your success is a completely solid lead change? My guy has just been starting to toy around with them and very consistently gets the front but gets the back probably 60% of the time. We still have plenty of time to get them more solid but wondering what happens if worst case we had to do a simple change?

Stayed* in the campgrounds

Kind of obvious but...bring cash! I am terrible about having cash on me (although I usually am good about including it in my horse show packing list) and of course the one time I forgot every single ATM on the grounds was out of order. I ended up making a run in to town between classes for food money.

OP, if you do a perfect simple change you can pin, I've done it. Some judges don't mind it, some won't use you, but really its your choice. if you do chose to go that route, make sure it is 100% your choice and not your horses
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Kat. View Post
    OP, if you do a perfect simple change you can pin, I've done it.
    In a big division at an A show?!? That has not been my experience. At all. Not unless there were so few horses in the class that they all got ribbons.

7 members found this post helpful.

most, if not all, of the horses will have a clean flying change. Also, you can get a food card at the office. It's a card with a number and you can "charge" the food at the "restaurant" and they add it to your horse show bill when you check out! Very handy, especially if you are dying of thirst and have no cash. (ask how I know this lol)

2 members found this post helpful.

Well we wouldn't be in the actual rated division of the show since it's the baby greens. But I'm pretty sure he will have them by then (fingers crossed). We just started jumping less than 2 months ago and he only even started being ridden this past October. We can bring our own golf cart then? I also was planning on bringing my dog (very well behaved around people and horses) do I have to bring proof of shots for him?