The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Safe 2+1 Trailer for WB?

You all may have read my posts before. I am looking for a used 2+1 trailer. As I am shopping, I realize that there are certain features/specs that I need. So, I am posting this thread for advise on this. I want a trailer that is 7' wide, 7'6" high, all aluminum (except for coupler/axles of course), has a higher center divider between the 2 straight load stalls (even the Sundowner Charter's divider is only 45" high (my horse's stifle is that high), has a full width gate that opens off of one side that divides the 2H from the 1H, higher butt and breast bars, doors in DR from outside as well as into the horse area, side ramp, rear ramp (I could live without this though). I have a 2H straight load Exiss GN w/DR that fills the bill in a 2H version. I don't know that I've ever seen a 2+1 Exiss though I'm sure they exist.

I'm looking for brand and model recommendations then for a trailer that has the above measurements. I also want the whole thing insulated (Sundowner just has an exterior skin in the horse and DR-not acceptable to me. With my shopping list I do not think I can afford new. This will be my last trailer. Thanks in advance.

4 Star. They have full divider doors in front of the straight stalls. Don't know about insulation. I also don;t know why you would want the whole thing insulated.

Jamco

1 members found this post helpful.

I have an Adams with Irish horses
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I love my Hawk 2+1. Bought it new through Risa at Happy Trails for a good price, pretty much with her recommendations and what I thought I needed and would only make a few changes. Hawk is an aluminum skin, but I wouldn't want all aluminum (the floors are a no go for me ~ I have a lifetime warranty with the wood floors, and I am uncomfortable with warranty voids with aluminum floors if I don't pull mats after every time I haul).

Second recommendation for Hawk.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I think Shadow makes a fully insulated one. I am happy with my second hand Hawk. Its not insulated, and not all aluminum, but I like the Rumbar floor option. The roof is Fiberglass I believe.
    It fits my big WBs very well, length, width and height.

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sixpoundfarm View Post
    I think Shadow makes a fully insulated one. I am happy with my second hand Hawk. Its not insulated, and not all aluminum, but I like the Rumbar floor option. The roof is Fiberglass I believe.
    It fits my big WBs very well, length, width and height.
    sixpound - you may be pleasantly surprised to know that your Hawk is insulated to the roof all the way thru including the dressing room ( if you have one ) yes, one piece integrated fiberglass top ( galvanized frame )

Risa
    www.HappyTrailsTrailers.com
    www.BalancedRideTrailers.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a Balanced Ride which I purchased from Risa. Two thumbs up!!!
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Would this work?
    http://www.eclipsealuminumtrailers.c...ht-loads/st-sr

I have one with the delux package of enhancements and bigger tires. I have the Euro divider which is 58 inches off the floor though you can get other dividers. If you want I can go measure the height of the breast and butt bars.

I was pulling out of the supermarket parking lot this morning when I saw the almost identical trailer going by, headed to the show at Rose Mont. I followed them and spoke with the owner. She has had hers for 2 years and is very satisfied with it.

I just got mine in Nov, cost about $16K.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Carol, That trailer looks very nice, but I want a goose. Looks like they do not offer one?

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    Carol, That trailer looks very nice, but I want a goose. Looks like they do not offer one?
    no, just bp's
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by grinanride View Post
    sixpound - you may be pleasantly surprised to know that your Hawk is insulated to the roof all the way thru including the dressing room ( if you have one ) yes, one piece integrated fiberglass top ( galvanized frame )

Risa
    www.HappyTrailsTrailers.com
    www.BalancedRideTrailers.com
    Cool! Thanks for the info! My Hawk is a 2005, does that make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by sixpoundfarm View Post
    Cool! Thanks for the info! My Hawk is a 2005, does that make a difference?
    Nope, you are in great shape!

Maude, at least you have the configuration figured out!

Hi to Nip & Pony!
    Risa

Default Bought One!

So, after much searching on a daily basis for a used 2+1 I am picking up a new 2013 tomorrow. The Adam had all the features that I was looking for at the best value for the $$. I have many friends/acquaintances who have Adams and they all love them. Ronnie at Delwood Trailer Sales in Felton, DE could not have been nicer and gave me a great trade-in price for my current Exiss trailer. I splurged (my mid-life crisis?) and am having them install a hydraulic jack before I pick it up. Delwood is 50 some miles away so very accessable. If I was near Risa I sure would have looked into a new Hawk though based on Hawk's and Risa's reputation.

Adams are super nice. Congrats!
    ~Veronica

I live 10 min from Delwood but truthfully would never buy a trailer from them. Instead I bought my Hawk (2+1) from Risa and had it shipped out. Best decison that I ever made and I am still in love with my trailer. Crazy to love a trailer so much but it has made my life easier.

4star is the ultimate. They just recently released a new "quiet ride" 2+1 that looks pretty neat. Turnbow Trailers are also a very well made trailer and a great company to work with.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I live 10 min from Delwood but truthfully would never buy a trailer from them. Instead I bought my Hawk (2+1) from Risa and had it shipped out. Best decison that I ever made and I am still in love with my trailer. Crazy to love a trailer so much but it has made my life easier.
    Yours is the BOMB and even in "my" colors. So I remind you again, don't EVER sell it without calling my first

Though I have to say, the whole reason I wanted a 2+1 is for my huge horse who sits on the butt bars. I didn't find a 2+1 and ended up with a warmblood sized 2 horse SL GN Hawk instead. It's the SAME trailer as my old trainer's except I have full back doors. And... he doesn't seem to but bar sit in mine?! I don't know if it's the door configuration, how I drive, or what?!
    ~Veronica