The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Feeding flax....

Yeah, I know this has been hashed over ad nauseum. I have used the search function to the best of my abilities. So...

Do you feed it?
    In what form do you feed it?

I keep reading that yes, indeed, feeding whole flax seeds is just fine and they DO indeed get the benefit from it.

And I also read that you MUST, MUST, MUST feed ground, stabilized flax to get any benefit from it.

So which is it?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I feed flax.

1 cup per day
    Whole

I put them on it last year (summertime) and notice a huge difference when their winter coats came in [you need to give it time over a shedding/growing cycle, it isn't going to change current hair coats].

Last spring (when I started them on it) my mare's hair coat was literally like a wire-haired terrior - rough, uneven, didn't shed worth a crap. She was on 1 cup of whole flax all summer long, and when her winter coat came in last fall, it was soft, dense, shorter/not straggly hair.

They are both on it, and I'm keeping them on it after seeing such a change in my mare's coat.

ETA: this spring will be the first shedding cycle with her having been given flax, so I'm very interested to see how she sheds out this year versus last year.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I decided to try it about a month ago to improve spring hair coat. I went with Omega Horse Shine since it has better shelf life.

My mare has become more cranky and spooky and TOTALLY attached to her pet lamb.

The flax has been the only change, but my research on these issues indicates it's not due to flax.

I may stop it for a month to see if there is any difference.

As far as hair coat, she is sleek and shiny anyway, so can't tell any difference there.

Quote Originally Posted by horseshrink View Post
    I went with Omega Horse Shine since it has better shelf life.
    Just FYI, if you keep the flax whole, the shelf life is actually quite long as well. It's when you grind it that it can go bad much quicker.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I started feeding it about a year ago for my mare with Sweet Itch per my vet's instructions. Started her out on 2 oz. and have since bumped her up to 3 oz. - although my vet told me not to bother with more than 4. I buy the Bob's Red Mill whole ground flaxseed meal right from the grocery store - more expensive than from a feed store but with the amount I feed it would go bad too quickly. I also portion out about 2 weeks worth at a time in bags and keep the rest in the freezer to keep it from going rancid.

She certainly is shiny but I won't be sure about how it helps the sweet itch for a couple of months!

Quote Originally Posted by horseshrink View Post
    I decided to try it about a month ago to improve spring hair coat. I went with Omega Horse Shine since it has better shelf life.

The flax has been the only change, but my research on these issues indicates it's not due to flax.

I may stop it for a month to see if there is any difference.

As far as hair coat, she is sleek and shiny anyway, so can't tell any difference there.
    Well, you never know

My mare stocks up if she is fed flax. That's not supposed to happen, but it does.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Well, you never know

My mare stocks up if she is fed flax. That's not supposed to happen, but it does.

Interesting. She DID stock up after I started it, so just thought I started too much too fast. Started at 1/4 cup so went down to 1/8, now back up to 1/4 cup.

I feed whole. I have slick,shiny,dripping oil looking coats and dapples out the ying yang. There might be something better, I dunno, but this is pretty cheap and has great benefits for my guys.
    Kerri

I feed whole flax, 1 c. per day.

I've been feeding it for about a year, but fed Omega Horseshine before that. My horses have dapples when they shed out in the spring, so I'm pretty happy with how the whole flax is working.

I feed ground, a cup a day. Started grinding it to feed to my mini with horrible teeth, and have just kept it up since then. I've been feeding it for the last 10 years or so and love how soft and shiny my boys are. I grind about a week's worth at a time and have never had it go bad.

I feed 1/2 cup a day. I buy whole and use a coffee grinder to grind it daily. Takes 15 -30 seconds to grind.

Spring-Fall: whole. 2 OZ a day.

Winter: whole. 1/2 c per day.

Great coat, great appetite, no flax flowers or any other indication of poor digestion.

If you feed it whole, just feed a little more to make up for the small amount that is lost in the process of digestion vs. ground. Simple.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cool

The flax has been the only change, but my research on these issues indicates it's not due to flax
    This always strikes me as so strange--if you had said you were feeding SOY instead of FLAX everyone would be going bonkers telling you that there are phytoestrogens in the soy and that was what was making your mare's behavior change.

Truth is, flax is loaded with phytoestrogens, too. It is just somehow immune from the "taint" that soy seems to have in this department. One might say flax is "teflon" in this regard. It is SO widely regarded as completely beneficial and without risk that no accusation of an animal being intolerant will stick!

That said, even my placid and non-mareish mare revs up with a few cranky and bizarre days, behavior-wise, in the spring, presumably when the ovaries wake up from their long winter's nap. I'd blame the time of year, myself.
    Click here before you buy.

I feed "my" 40 head in training a cup a day, ground fresh. Within a month, there were dapples galore. It time consuming to grind that much with a Magic Bullet, so if that aint love, I dunno what is..

1 members found this post helpful.

I feed it whole, soaked, 1/2 cup per day. It gets soaked with her beet pulp.

I cook it in a crock pot each day. start with whole seeds, add water and let it cook for a few hours. they love it.

I feed whole -- a bit more than a cup per day. It gets soaked with my horse's grain but I've fed it dry without any problems.

I buy 50 pound bags from my feed store and my horses have always been shiny.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    This always strikes me as so strange--if you had said you were feeding SOY instead of FLAX everyone would be going bonkers telling you that there are phytoestrogens in the soy and that was what was making your mare's behavior change.

Truth is, flax is loaded with phytoestrogens, too. It is just somehow immune from the "taint" that soy seems to have in this department. One might say flax is "teflon" in this regard. It is SO widely regarded as completely beneficial and without risk that no accusation of an animal being intolerant will stick!

That said, even my placid and non-mareish mare revs up with a few cranky and bizarre days, behavior-wise, in the spring, presumably when the ovaries wake up from their long winter's nap. I'd blame the time of year, myself.
    Wow...think I knew this at one time and totally forgot. I have tried to keep her off of soy for a variety of reasons, but thanks for the reminder. I think I may take her off for awhile and see if there is a difference. The bad thing is that I purchased an expensive bag of Horse Shine that I would hate to go to waste.

I did think it was just "that time of the year" also, but that behavior is not normal for her in the spring, but won't rule it out yet.

About half the horses at my barn get flax.
    We feed 1 cup ground per day.
    We buy it ground in 50lb bags and everyone takes turns buying it, I think a bag lasts about 2 weeks so we dont worry about it going bad