The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gryhrs View Post
    Please tell me about the Kan- tek vests. Do they custom measure??
    I tried one on today and really liked it, though just bought a Rodney Powell year before last, so won't be buying one. They come in standard sizes, but they will customize them a bit (the one I tried on was too long in the back for me- the gal said that it can be trimmed up a bit).
    Last edited by FoxChaser; Apr. 25, 2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added quote.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Blew my shopping budget day one - guess that means I'm gonna have to watch dressage now

Kan-tek was in Bit of Britain booth. LOVED the vest - good shoulder protectIon without the gladiator look. Fox chaser- I loved my Rodney Powell - mine is close to 15 years old....time for an update. I could not find clearance store either.

Smart Pak booth is great.....love their undies.

1 members found this post helpful.

Blew my shopping budget day one - guess that means I'm gonna have to watch dressage now

Kan-tek was in Bit of Britain booth. LOVED the vest - good shoulder protectIon without the gladiator look. Fox chaser- I loved my Rodney Powell - mine is close to 15 years old....time for an update. I could not find clearance store either.

Smart Pak booth is great.....love their undies.
    Yay! You're there! I fly in tomorrow am and can't wait to catch up

I'm thinking of hitting the Kan-tek booth also. I love my Tipp but I think the KT's are a good investment (and I want shoulder protection without looking like Xena, Warrior Princess)
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Bought a Kanteq vest. Very expensive but since my Rodney Powell is almost 15years old, and I'm not getting any younger, it should be my last vest I think if she can't fit you here, she'll take an order for the same price. She was able to alter one to fit my short body!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

The Kan/Kanteq body protector is a very nice piece of equipment. It gets high marks for comfort and style, and the Knox foam is interesting material. The Kan is every-ride-just-because comfortable and because the fit is customized, there's a simple zipper with no velcro or adjustments.

I like the idea of shoulder protection, and while the Kan has it for certification purposes, most equestrian clavicle and shoulder injuries are caused by torsional or axial loading and won't be helped by any shoulder pads. Impact, however, is another story. I'd rather hit a fence or a tree with padding than no padding -- but that's just not how the vast majority of collarbone and shoulder injuries happen.

Also, Wendy of KanTeq is very nice and she's happy to talk in detail about her body protector. She even wears one all day.

2 members found this post helpful.

I encourage you all to try on the Kan vest. I got one at the USEA convention and it's more comfortable than my Tipp was. I did have an issue with the shoulder pads biting into my neck but Wendy called me from the UK to work out the issue. I was directed to cut some of the foam off the shoulder pad and now I'm not having an issue with it. I wore it at my first event of the season two weeks ago at St Johns Pics of it

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Yay! You're there! I fly in tomorrow am and can't wait to catch up

I'm thinking of hitting the Kan-tek booth also. I love my Tipp but I think the KT's are a good investment (and I want shoulder protection without looking like Xena, Warrior Princess)
    Hooray!!! We can be Kan- tek twins! Mine is mongrammed with my Initial on the back. Nice touch I think when they scoop me out of the water jump.

OH! I did the Land Rover test drive!! Totally COOL!!! You have to do it! That is now on my wish list right after the fancy smancy toter.

Gryhrs,

I enjoyed seeing Riderboy and you yesterday! I did go ahead and get the Smart Pac undies that you suggested. Now, if only Tess will be good to go for MayDaze, I will be able to try them out.

Did anyone else think that the number of English, horse related vendors has shrunk, again? The number of food vendors is lighter, too. It is way overpriced. My grilled chicken sandwich was cold and the fries were undercooked. Today, I am bringing a PB &J sandwich, with my large bottle of water.

The guy that is selling curling irons (yes, I said curling irons) asked me when all of the people would be coming? I told him that Thursday is always light. Friday gets better and Saturday is the big day. For those of you who do not have time to curl your hair, they will do it for you.

I was able to replace my Micklem bridle and show jumping reins, which got broken recently. As my DH said, "Happy Mothers Day!" What a nice Mothers Day gift!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Hooray!!! We can be Kan- tek twins! Mine is mongrammed with my Initial on the back. Nice touch I think when they scoop me out of the water jump.

Monogrammed personal flotation device. Love it.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

3 members found this post helpful.

Got my Kan-tek today and let me tell you, Wendy was fantastic! She trimmed the back to make it fit my torso better and was an absolute pleasure to do business with.

I am very happy with it!
    Cotton would fight.

No clearance booth, sob.

Also fewer booths then last year, the double row under the trade fair arena was only one row this year.

Good buys on random pieces of leather in the stubben booth. Albright leather has the nicest halters there, leather you could make a pillow case out of but Perris and Central Kentucky Tack and Leather had very nice halters at a cheap price.

PLEASE check out the Bourbon chicken place and try the holy trinity. Incredible. Also there is a crawfish/shrimp/crab/oyster Louisiana type place that looked good, as well as a crepe booth.

5 star tack is there selling out that last of their items to the public, they are going to begin selling to only tack stores from now on.

I really liked the new Tipperary vests. Very comfortable.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Apr. 26, 2013 at 09:56 PM.

Default underwhelming shopping

And food court has more horse park food (think WEG) than the good stuff in years past. Very thin on the vendors.

After going forever, this year I finally caved in and got Dubarrys. The short ones. Wore them the last half of the day, very comfy and I'm a hard fit. We'll see how they are tomorrow, though truly I'm hoping I don't get to test the waterproofness.

Even the Rolex gear tent was pretty disappointing. How do you sell out of the coolest jacket you've had in years in every size except small by day 2? Really? I worked retail for years, and I don't get it. The first day, a lot of the high end, nice stuff went xs, s, m and that was it, a large, if you can call it that, was rare. As my niece says, I have a butt and boobs, I'd spend all kinds of money if I could find stuff in my size.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Do we miss Janie A?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Do we miss Janie Atkinson?

You betcha! Every year since she "retired" has been worse, especially for the volunteers. DH is volunteering today and tomorrow. I am home sick today.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I ordered my Kan! I found it to be so comfortable and can't wait to get it!

I thought the shopping was disappointing compared to last year. I did however still manage to spend plenty of money. I was able to get a pair of FITS 20% off, 2 SmartPak saddle pads, and I caved in yesterday and bought a pair of Dubarrys. I probably won't get to wear them a ton while it is hotter than haiti but next fall/ winter I will be set. They seem ubber comfy!

Can't wait until next year!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    My shopping gratification will be delayed till next week --

-- at Badminton.
    Please tell us all about it! I'll be watching it on the Internet but unfortunately they don't include the Trade Fair!

I thought shopping was better this year than last, though still subpar from earlier years. I bought a new dressage saddle (and got a really great deal on it), also several show shirts as gifts, a belt, some saddle soap, a leather nameplate bracelet (as a gift) and Dark Horse chocolates for the DH.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!