The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Need a gadget--does this exist?

Y'all know those dog poop picker uppers that have scissored handles and a rake on one side and a box on the other?

I'd like to find one of those that is long enough to use to pick up horse poop from a riding mower and deposit in a cart pulled by the mower. Do they exist? Would they work?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

If there is such a thing, I'll betcha it would be sold in a Zoo supply emporium. (if such a thing exists, LOL)
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Y'all know those dog poop picker uppers that have scissored handles and a rake on one side and a box on the other?

I'd like to find one of those that is long enough to use to pick up horse poop from a riding mower and deposit in a cart pulled by the mower. Do they exist? Would they work?
    I have one, got it at Petsmart not so long ago.
    It would take forever to use it on horse apples, I think, but good idea, if your arms are long enough to reach the cart back there.

I've scooped poop at the Memphis Zoo several times, and they are VERY low tech.

Bluey, I'm thinking in terms of at least 3' handles.

Friend of mine has a poop vacuum off their lawn tractor.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I have the Jumbo Jaw scoop and it is about 2 1/2', I think.
    Would that not be kind of hard on your shoulder, if you have many to scoop?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Might this work?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELUXE-FULLY...item20c7c7fb18

Poop vacuums cost 100 times more than this.

Might this work?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELUXE-FULLY...item20c7c7fb18

Poop vacuums cost 100 times more than this.
    I think that one would be easier to flip onto a cart than the jaw model and if you miss an apple here and there, in a pasture, well, that is no big loss, the tumblebugs can take care of those.

This is what I hate about online shopping. American Livestock Supply, whom I've used before, has the same thing for $18.00, but their shipping is $19. The ebay place has only $9 shipping. Now if I were to order $100 from American Livestock, the shipping comes "free". Guess I'll have to see if ALS has stuff that I might be able to persuade myself that I need.

Found something that said that ALS was now wholesale only with minimum order of $300. Guess I'll need to call and see what the situation is with them. I did decide that I could use a couple of Safeguard Power Dose boxes, so that would bring my order to over $100.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 7, 2013 at 08:22 PM.

I would think the act of trying to pick up manure from a lawnmower would really cause a lot of twisting and turning on the lower back muscles and a lot of stress on the elbows due to the heaviness of the manure and the distance from the body.

I had one of those doggie jaw type pooper scoopers and I found it hard to get the poop especially if the grass is a bit long. I went and got a little metal pitchfork designed for dog poop and I find it a lot easier to use. Probably part of the reason is because I'm much more adept with a pitchfork than anything else, haha!

I'm wondering if you can try using something long handled from your mower first and see if it's uncomfortable before investing in the scooper?

I do have a manure fork that might work, but it is very heavy. Aluminum and plastic would be much, much lighter. I'm thinking "pick up manure, shift to back of fork, twist and flip into cart." And, as Bluey said, if I miss some, well, it's a grass paddock anyway.

Martin's Farm Supply has the Easy Scoop 2 for $19 with $8 shipping. I've found a number of livestock supply places that sell them aimed at goats. As long as we are talking apples and not patties, it ought to work. Even if I have to get off the lawnmower to get the poop in the cart, this thing is much lighter than what I've been using.

Those little dog poop rakes also look interesting but I doubt if they would be long enough.

Martin's Farm Supply has the Easy Scoop 2 for $19 with $8 shipping. I've found a number of livestock supply places that sell them aimed at goats. As long as we are talking apples and not patties, it ought to work. Even if I have to get off the lawnmower to get the poop in the cart, this thing is much lighter than what I've been using.

Those little dog poop rakes also look interesting but I doubt if they would be long enough.
    Amazon has it for $15 and shipping, that may be again that much to where you are, or less, may want to check with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Amazon has it for $15 and shipping, that may be again that much to where you are, or less, may want to check with them.
    I couldn't find the Easy Scoop 2. I did find the Easy Scoop but that had a non-telescoping wooden handle. The 2 has an aluminum handle which is bound to be lighter and/or more durable. IIIRC, one can buy replacement heads which are the same for both.

It might be easier on your body, to walk the paddock instead of trying to drive the mower with cart. That turning and reaching is going to hurt you, body is NOT designed to work that way. Plus any of those poop grabber machines look HEAVY to be using at the length of arm extension, both picking up poop and dropping it into cart.

Might I suggest using a plastic toboggan type sled, maybe with a muck tub on it to hold the poop. With the poop grabber tool, designed to be used standing above the poop, you can lift the tool and drop poops in the tub. If tub gets fullish, you can empty it into the lawn cart behind the mower. Keeps the sled easy to pull around, no reaching and twisting of the body. ALSO give you walking exercise, which is GREAT for you in building and retaining your bone density gently.

Cashman's Equipment used to sell an aluminum copy of the plastic fork head used with sawdust. You could call and ask if it is still available from them, to use for picking up dog poop. Much less able to break it than the plastic ones hanging up in grass. They weren't cheap, but would be well worth the money if it lasts forever and is much lighter than steel forks. I haven't seen an aluminum fork head offered any other place.

http://www.cashmans.com/Cashman/CA_W...tDoor?OpenForm