The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default More Trailer Questions

I looked at a beautiful 2+1 trailer today. 2009 in brand new condition. It is a Collin-Arndt which is no longer in business and was taken over by Shetron Mfg. I had the bank check and trailer tag in hand and traveled 60 miles, but passed on it and am wondering if I did the right thing. I currently have an Exiss 2H GN w/DR. It is a 2003 that I bought new in '05. I am selling it to get a 2+1.

The CA that I looked at today seemed smaller so I did take measurements. MY trailer (Exiss) is 7'6" high, 6"10" wide in horse area. The breast and butt bars are 48" high (I had them raised). The half divider is ear high in the front and tapers in a straight line to the back so it is very high. I got cold feet when I looked at the CA because even though it is 7'6" high, it only measures 6"4" wide in horse area. When the gate that divides the front (+1) from the back (2 H str. stalls) is open flat against the wall it cuts the +1space to 6' wide (where I would groom and tack up). Also the breast bar is not a bar, but is a heavy chain covered with a pad that hooks with caribiners on each side. So, it sags and therefore is lower at the chest. Also, the 1/2 divider is not very high compared to my Exiss. The CA is expensive and I did not buy it due to the chest chain, narrower width and low divider between left and right straight stalls.

Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? My horse is a climber and can be quite fractious. I guess I could have alterations done, but then the trailer is still a bit narrow. Plus, I would be paying premium $$ for it and it would be hard to spend even more money. The trailer is beautifully made and maintained and puts many makes out there to shame. The DR and horse area are lined and insulated except for the roof. It also has a wood floor which I like. The trailer and frame are aluminum. I really am not crazy, but this would drain my savings and be my last trailer. Thoughts anyone. Anyone else go through this agony? I am in a quandry...The trailer is $19,000.00
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

From what I understand 2 + 1s are hard to find, BUT would you be settling with this trailer? Would it really make you happy?

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    From what I understand 2 + 1s are hard to find, BUT would you be settling with this trailer? Would it really make you happy?
    This. If you're going to curse the day you bought it everytime you bump your elbow against the wall, I'd pass.

There are other 2+1's out there. If you're ready to buy, "cash in hand" as it were, you can probably get some screaming good deals, too.

Thanks. I think I could live with the width, but not the breast bar height (which I could change for $$), the butt bar height (which I could not change) and the divider height which is 45". My horse's stifle is 45" off the groung so I could just see her kicking up and getting hung up on the divider. I can rob my savings for the right trailer at the right price so I think I will just sit on it. The more I think about it, the more I love my Exiss. Maybe I could find a 2+1 Exiss used though I don't think I've ever seen one. Maybe I'll start a new thread on trailer recommendatiosn for tall horses. Love COTHers.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

If its going to be the last trailer you ever buy on earth, then maybe save your pennies and get a customized Exiss. I was in the same quandry and ended up splurging and buying my trailer customized. I had a Merhow which I loved but bought off the lot, so I wrote down all the " I wish it had this, or that" and when I went to upgrade, I had Merhow incorporate all the things I wanted in the new trailer. It is also my last trailer I will buy. I looked at used trailers, but they didnt have all the features I wanted. Plus the final straw was that the used prices weren't all that much cheaper than new. I had my old trailer for close to 20 years, so its a very long term investment, so might as well get what I want.

Try searching on horsetrailerworld.com. Look at custom ordering a trailer. I have bought in the past just to satisfy a need at that particular moment and always regretted it. If it is not an emergency, like you need this trailer yesterday, sit back and take a deep breath and let the right trailer present itself to you!

That came across much more New Agey than I intended it too!

Great thoughts. I keep forgetting about Hawk. I guess the stel frame puts me off a bit. Can you get a wood floor option on trailers like Jamco, Eby and 4 Star?