The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Fugly Horse of the Day gone forever?

I still enjoyed it (most of the time) even if I preferred the original. Does anyone know the blogger who was the current writer? I'd like to know what happened and if it is permanent.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I saw FHOTD commentary on the Lori Tucker emaciated mare of twins debacle the other day...

Has it moved? All I get is the page not found error.

Comments on the FB page seem to indicate it is done, but I sure hope not.

https://www.facebook.com/fhotd
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I was wondering what happened too, unfortunate.

I've followed their blog through the ..erm.. curves in leadership, and was enjoying Ontario's posts. Worries me that Ontario left the face of the Earth..hope she's doing okay.

I gave up on FHOTD after Cathy gave up the reins. This is a similar blog I've been following recently:
    http://hoovesblog.com/2013/04/05/the...ains-it-pours/
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Well it is too bad but hopefully this new blog will help fill the gap.

Heard that lawsuits kept piling up. As each author stepped-up and spouted off with half-baked exposes, they kept stepping in it. The authors lost everything and the last suit actually required the website to be taken down. A lesson to many who jump to conclusions and think their comments are safe from consequences. Remember, the truth is a defense to libel. When you post less than the truth, you lose money and even your website.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Heard that lawsuits kept piling up. As each author stepped-up and spouted off with half-baked exposes, they kept stepping in it. The authors lost everything and the last suit actually required the website to be taken down. A lesson to many who jump to conclusions and think their comments are safe from consequences. Remember, the truth is a defense to libel. When you post less than the truth, you lose money and even your website.
    Does anyone have any info on who sued and for what comments? Those would probably be some interesting case documents to read.

5 members found this post helpful.

Cathy is on one of my FB horse boards and in the not too distant past, she has stated that no one ever pursued a lawsuit because some reason, I don't remember why. Actually, I'm surprised the site stayed up as long as it did. Towards the end, it made me uncomfortable and I had stopped reading.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

I loved Fugly back in the early days. Are all those old blog posts gone for good?

2 members found this post helpful.

As nearly as I can figure out, yes, they are gone. The new owner (Ontario) went awol for a while. She appears to be fine, or if she isn't she has managed to be 'not fine' without getting her real name plastered anywhere, including obits (yea, I looked). I suspect she got the blog for a song, decided it was actual work (heh), and quit with it.

I have no idea if there were lawsuits after I left (I'm Charm), but there weren't any while or before I was there. I think I only fielded two threats, actually-- both from trainers who attempted to object to their deeds being posted on Fugly. As someone else has noted, the truth doesn't qualify as libel, and if you are going to run a chain saw around a two year old (and jump the poor thing over barrels over and over...) then expect to be called an idiot.

I'm really upset about the old posts, and I wish I had thought of or been comfortable with archiving everything before I left; I have frequently utilized the information on Fugly when writing or even just when trying to find out if someone is 'legit' or crooked. Unfortunately, my permissions didn't extend to controlling whether the page was viewable or 'up'-- I'd have been willing to pay a fair bit to keep the information online, even if the blog itself stopped. Cathy was a wealth of knowledge about the horse industry (still is, technically), and I enjoyed her old posts.

Anyway, I actually thought of Fugly today, did a search, and saw this post on COTH. Hope all the old readers (and writers!) are doing well. Happy Trails!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    It used to be "the fugly horse of the day" forum, but it hasn't been that for years. It got turned over to a different "owner" and is now the "free speech horse forum".

So no, not the new fugly, though you'll see a lot of the same kinds of topics and discussion.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    I saw FHOTD commentary on the Lori Tucker emaciated mare of twins debacle the other day...
    Where? I check both the FB page and the website regularly, and can't get the site to come up.

Cathy (the original Fugly) posted this on the FB page a while ago: "I am in the process of putting the original Fugly blog content back up for the people who want to read it. It will not be open for further commentary. This will only be the blogs I wrote, from the beginning until July of 2011. Details to come."

Recently, it was posted on the FB page that someone has "...been in touch with a friend of Ontario's, she is dealing with personal issues and has had to take time for herself. Beyond that I don't know anything."

7Arabians, I'm intrigued because I've never heard anything concrete about lawsuits regarding FHOTD, and that seems to contradict the recent update above...?

Really? And just exactly where did you become privy to this supposed information, when people who were involved with the site in some way haven't heard of it?

4 members found this post helpful.

It has nothing to do with lawsuits. As posted on the facebook page, it's a personal issue. I wouldn't expect to see it back anytime soon with the same ownership.

This is absolutely 100% untrue. You should probably take your own advice.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2horseygirls View Post
    Cathy (the original Fugly) posted this on the FB page a while ago: "I am in the process of putting the original Fugly blog content back up for the people who want to read it. It will not be open for further commentary. This will only be the blogs I wrote, from the beginning until July of 2011. Details to come."
    Oh I hope this happens! Cathy had some fabulous commentary and some very helpful information too. Loved the 'knuckle-dragging Cretan" labels, have used it a couple of times myself ;-)