The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Best off-the-rack boots

I have been searching for the perfect off-the-rack boots that can fit my odd chicken legs- huge feet, really long legs, and tiny calves. Customs seem to be out of my budget , so I have been looking everywhere for these perfect, gorgeous, AND durable boots- but they just don't seem to exist!

So please tell me about your favorite off-the-rack boots (or even some inexpensive customs)! Pictures are great too!

Thank you!

I have the exact same problem! My feet are 9 (Street Sz) my calves are 20" tall, and my ankles are tiny!

I'm also on the hunt for boots; I have tried a few on though that did fit me quite well..

Tredstep DaVinci, Ariat Contour, Sergio Grasso...

But out of the ones I've tried; Deniros are by far my favourite. Love. Love Love. Too expensive for me though... But hey! If you can afford them, Go for it.

Also, I've heard good things about La Mundials. They're custom; and I believe run about $700? But not entirely sure.

Goodluck!
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

Wait, didn't you just get Parlantis?

Wait, didn't you just get Parlantis?
    No, after contacting the seller for further measurements, I sadly found out that they would be too short and too wide. I think I mentioned that in my previous thread.

If Parlantis are too wide, you may be out of luck without going custom. They run super slim because they have a stretch panel.

I would go with La Mundial, I think my next boots will be from them because Even my Sergio's (which were the only things that fit my ankle and were tall enough off the rack) are getting to big
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Time;y topic as my daughter wants new boots as her Sergio's never became comfortable for her.

My good boots are Parlantis, but my everyday boots are the new Heritage Contour from Ariat.

I love my Dublin Aristocrats (though I think there is a new model now and I'm not sure of the name). I don't show A circuit, but I don't see why you couldn't in them. I have the dress boot version, but they make a field boot as well. I think they're super comfortable and have held up well to the abuse I've put mine through. I foxhunt in mine as well as trail ride and sometimes do barn chores. I'm terrible to them, but they still clean up nicely.

I don't know your exact measurements (other than the height), but big feet/scrawny calves/long legs have slim pickings in off the rack boots. What most companies consider "tall and slim" aren't as tall and slim as some of us need. The off the rack Parlantis aren't even close. I'm looking for the same thing (9 foot, 13" calf, 19.5" height).

Some things I've come across that are in the ball park (based on size charts or trying on something close (usually a regular height), have not been able to try any on in my exact size, as no one every stocks it:

DeNiro (several models)
    Treadstep Davinci
    Ariat Monaco (the other Ariats don't actually fit slim enough)
    Non-custom Tucci
    Beval Puissance (discontinued, but you can search around for some leftovers on sale). I have some of these now, and the do fit, but they need replacing.

Some that can be ordered from Europe and come in more sizes: Broghini doesn't work for me, but you migh check out their size charts. Rectignle, also don't fit me personally, but worth a look, Soubirac (these would fit, based on size charts).

That's really about it for off the shelf. Tidy Rabbit had a thread on this recently and she came up with some Ovations that will hold her over until customs can arrive:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...all-and-skinny

A lot of the boots that are likely to fit you well are expensive, even off the rack. The Treadsteps are pretty reasonable and the Ovations above are inexpensive. Other than that, most of them will cost as much as La Mundial customs. Several people in my barn have them, they are really very nice. Not sure where you can get measured, though, unless they happen to be at a show in your area.

If you're feet are as big as mine, you can try mens - I have the Mountain Horse Richmonds. The size 9 Long is slightly taller and slimmer than the equivalent ladies 11.

Granted, they're still slightly too short and a little too wide, but they were the best I could do in my budget.

I'm really interested in the Tredsteps but am saving for a new saddle so those will have to wait. Good luck - I'll be watching this thread!

This is an off-the-wall suggestion, but how about new black paddock boots and a pair of the dressier black half chaps? This wouldn't do for an A show, but this solution may tide you over while you save for customs. A girl at our barn was impossible to fit in off-the-rack boots, and she wore dressy half-chaps at several shows while waiting for customs to arrive. To tell you the truth, it wasn't that noticeable.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I recently went to try boots-and nothing fit! I tried monacos, tredstep da Vincis, and even sergios. My foot is 9 1/2, my calf 12.3 inches, and my height 20 in. Honestly I think that I'm going to have to go custom!

Could you buy the closest height and calf combo that will fit you in the height but is big in the calf and have the calf taken in?
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

That's a good idea, but where can I get it done?

Not sure where you live, but in my area there is a spot where you can get things such as having the calf of your boot taken in done. In most major cities there should be.
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

I would go with a custom Galileo Tucci boot. They last, are not that expensive and are absolutely gorgeous. We just custom fitted a young lady who was almost the exact same size..but with a 12" calf.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    You have quite a few options. Good luck!

The tuccis are gorgeous, but they're still expensive. Most cobblers can do it or there are places you can send them to.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים