The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kineton Noseband

Do they really work? What bits have you used one with?

Tell me a bit about the horse you used one on.

TIA!

Worked great for me. Takes the bit pressure off of the bars and puts it on the nose instead. I used it with a very sensitive horse and a soft snaffle bit.

bM is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

Why did you decide to try the noseband? Was the horse a puller?

I used one for a while on a TB that was built incredibly downhill, but had a relatively soft mouth and was a fun horse to jump. It worked great to help keep him off the forehand and from pulling downward without having to upgrade the bit.

1 members found this post helpful.

The horses I used it on were not comfortable with the bits pressure on the bars of their mouths. That can result in pulling....but using a harsh bit is, in my opinion not the answer. Training the horse to listedn to the seat and leg when they were not distracted by mouth pain was helpful.

I am riding a horse that gets bruised bars irrespective of what bit is being used and how how soft you are. I ride at a large H/J barn and no one has seen this before and we have about 50 horses in training. However, the experienced equine dentist that comes up 2x per year has, and recommended a noseband to keep the bit from pulling on the horse's bars. The horse is currenlty in a worcester noseband (quite similar action to the kineton) with a rubber snaffle and is happy as all get out. Many people consider this a harsh piece of equipment but for horses that are very sensitive to bar pressure I would suggest this is a much kinder alternative. Having said all this, I do find that I have lost some sensitivity with this gear (no surprise) and really need to set up tight turns with the leg first. I expect in the right hands and being used for the right reasons, a kineton can be very useful. Depending on the issue, you may also want to look at some of the combination bit/hackamores. Good luck.

Are these legal in the hunter ring? It looks like something my gelding would love.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I don't think they are illegal in the hunter ring but a judge would definitely consider them unconventional and likely assume that you are using it because you require more control than a bit would give you. My intent is to do a quick noseband change before warming up.

lynnland- could you use a Baucher for your horse? I think that type of bit keeps the pressure off the bars and is more stable in the horses mouth. Still not a traditional hunter bit but less noticeable than the Kineton.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Hi SonnysMom,
    I can see how the Baucher would keep a bit steadier in the mouth but pulling back on the reins would still pull it onto the bars when the horse is moving properly, or am I missing something here? A 2-3 ring gag would raise a bit off his bars when you pull on the reins but I am hesitant to go there unless I have to. Sorry for accidently hijacking the post

bM is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

No problem about the hijack.

I am looking for more information from people who have used it on a puller/rooter versus a sensitive mouth.

bM - I wonder if the reason it works on pullers and rooters is because the pulling and rooting is a reaction to the horse not appreciating pressure in a sensitive mouth? I use one on my TB mare, and she goes beautifully in it, I think due to the stability it provides the bit. Truly, I don't see how it could stop a very strong horse, but because the action is so different, I think horses that are strong (as an avoidance) in a regular bit accept the action more readily, and in turn it seems like a train stopper as they're much more ridable.

I don't think I would use this noseband on a stereotypical puller/ rooter. It applies pressure to the nose, like a hackamore, and encourages them to drop their heads down. I can see how it would work for a bar sensitive horse.

I have successfully used it on a sensitive mouthed head tosser (Tossing head to avoid contact - no physical problems) who liked to get WAY above the bit and take off. The classes I showed him in I couldn't use a standing martingale (otherwise I would have done that). I used it with a D Waterford.

It's not that strong, wouldn't have much effect on a truly determined horse.

we had a TB in the jumpers we used one on. could be a bit of a runaway at shows especially, just freight train strong, not rooting. we used it only at shows, and only the fitst day if a multi-day show,worked great. (there have been a number of other threads on this, btw)