The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird Q any reason a horse can't eat from stainless steel bowl

My horse makes her ration balancer into a paste by dumping a mouthful of water on it. It's hard to clean from the barn's feed tubs. My thought is to put a stainless mixing bowl in so it's easier to clean. Am I going to poison her?

It's fine, but I wouldn't put it where she could step on it. It might have sharp edges when broken!

When providing soaked grain, I always use a separate rubber feed pan, inserted into the wall-mounted feed tub (sort of a "double boiler" look). That way, I just pull out the messy tub to scrub out when she's done and the wall-mounted tub stays clean.

There is no problem with stainless steel -- its used in human food preparation too. The point about not leaving it on the ground and in stalls is a great one - metal does more damage than plastic and horses can be pretty hard on equipment! Also, had a young mare freak out from metal feed bin because of the sound -- someone dropped it on concrete and she also spooked at the sound of the carrot and treat pieces when dropped in the bowl. With horses its always something! Plastic is generally safer and more flexible. Good luck.

Thanks all! The feed tub is not on the floor (thanks for the reminder about that). I'll get one tight enough that (presumably ) she can't get out.

We used to feed our horses out of 20 gallon galvanized wash tubs. After about a year of use they were pretty abused. The bottoms would begin to be concave instead of flat, the sides would be more and more oval and the welds on the sides and around the rim would slowly break. So we replaced them with some of those old fashion cement laundry tubs - those lasted till we didn't have horses anymore.

Right now I use a dedicated muck tub on the ground tied to a tree so they can't kick it too far. I like the idea of the insert but since there are so many different sizes and types of wall mounted feed containers it might be easy or impossible. Would your BO permit your own containers, like a muck tub or inserts?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

You could use a hard plastic container--maybe one of those hanging feeders with the build in molded hooks that fit over a stall door