The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crap. Not another one.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Is this person related to Donja Vaughn?

ETA: Just did a search. Donja's mom is Sharon.

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Local TV stations are reporting that Carolyn Vaughn, the accused, was an animal and trash hoarder who had previously been convicted of animal cruelty when she ran a puppy mill. In OK animal cruelty can be charged as a felony with fines + up to 5yrs. in prison. According to news reports she was to pay a $10,000 vet bill on the puppy mill. I'm questioning how she came to have 100 horses on her place and wondering why she wasn't at least on probation for the previous charges. That way a home visit might have picked this up earlier. As of today, 63 horses have been taken to Blaze's Tribute Equine Rescue; some look absolutely horrible, some are just plain horrible. It's going to be a long term major project to get so many horses back to health, provided from this point everything goes in the right direction.
    "I never met a man I didn't like who liked horses." Will Rogers

Animal hoarding is a sickness and we need to identify these people before the situations become this dire. Authorities are notoriously reluctant and slow to respond to these situations and prevent people from owning animals again.

I do have to say though, with several auction houses in OK that sell to slaughter, this confirms the hypothesis that people who starve/neglect/hoard do so whether or not slaughter is an option. If we are to truly address prevention of these kinds of situations, we need to better understand and identify those prone to this kind of treatment to animals.
    "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingPaints View Post
    I do have to say though, with several auction houses in OK that sell to slaughter, this confirms the hypothesis that people who starve/neglect/hoard do so whether or not slaughter is an option. If we are to truly address prevention of these kinds of situations, we need to better understand and identify those prone to this kind of treatment to animals.
    I totally agree.

What I don't understand is how people get away with it, especially those who have already been convicted of animal cruelty? It just doesn't make sense.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

5 members found this post helpful.

Animal hoarding is a sickness and we need to identify these people before the situations become this dire. Authorities are notoriously reluctant and slow to respond to these situations and prevent people from owning animals again.

I, on the other hand, think that the mentality of hoarders is pushed to the edge and beyond by all the anti slaughter talk and rescuing from slaughter and such.

That lady considered herself a "rescue" and was getting donations to buy and feed horses and overextended badly.

Sure, there is pathology involved there, she is a mentally sick person, but just as the shooters that kill people, they are incited by others and so are these people like this lady.

Not that it matters on the ban slaughter debate, really, that is incidental, but it is worth noting when these cases come up that in these, the increase we have seen in those is in part because of the anti slaughter drives.

Those cases have always been common with small animals.
    With large animals, especially horses, those were very rare before that and are more common now.
    We used to buy, retrain and resell all kinds of horses, some the traders would call and find someone to sell their promising horses, rather than send them to slaugther.
    That was how the horse world worked, now that has become "saving from slaughter".
    See that one thread about the trader selling on his web site as "rescuing" before he sends them to slaughter, see the many rescues that mostly buy and sell horses from sale barns they insist were going to slaughter, if that may be so or not.

I am not sure that new way to market those horses is helping them any more than the old way of just selling and buying and retraining and reselling as a useful horse.
    I think that maybe that "rescue" mentality has some to do with these sad situations.

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure where to add this in, but, it seems to me, 'these' people either breed for too many or buy/rescue too many, then they get overextended, but can't let go. It seems, from the last several big explosions, people get in this position but tend to think things are going to turn around...just around the corner. It gets worse and worse, spiraling down.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Bluey: "Not that it matters on the ban slaughter debate, really, that is incidental, but it is worth noting when these cases come up that in these, the increase we have seen in those is in part because of the anti slaughter drives."

Do you HEAR what Bluey is saying? She is saying this is the fault of the anti-slaughter people. That if the anti-slaughter people would just shut up and let the horses get slaughtered, there would be no hoarding.

Now that is what I call spin.

No Bluey, this is a mentality issue caused by too much breeding and irresponsible ownership. The point is that slaughter is not the answer for it. Slaughter houses are not going to make idiots any less stupid.

Those poor horses need help, but we need to stop more from being bred. Horse slaughter is only going to start a whole new business and reason to breed. Money, money, money. All those slaughter houses that are failing because of the drought and fewer cattle, need to stop licking their lips over horses.
    friend of bar.ka

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    Do you HEAR what Bluey is saying? She is saying this is the fault of the anti-slaughter people. That if the anti-slaughter people would just shut up and let the horses get slaughtered, there would be no hoarding.

No Bluey, this is a mentality issue caused by too much breeding and irresponsible ownership. The point is that slaughter is not the answer for it. Slaughter houses are not going to make idiots any less stupid.

All those slaughter houses that are failing because of the drought and fewer cattle, need to stop licking their lips over horses.
    I know, there is much more to these people and said so, if you read what I posted without anti slaughter bias.
    I was suggesting, that is a thought that has been crossing my mind, that all the anti slaughter, "lets rescue from slaughter" mentality is what has at times, in some cases, maybe here too, helped fuel some those disturbed individuals actions.

I know, slaughter is not going to make people stupid, it is also not going to make them breed more, that is also proven wrong.

Just one more opinion, responding to the, as you say, "spin" of the post I quoted.

3 members found this post helpful.

Does this really have to turn into a slaughter debate?

Bluey, she was a trash hoarder too. Last I heard there was no ban on the slaughter of trash.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Does this really have to turn into a slaughter debate?
    Well, it may if that is where some want to take this.
    Don't blame me for bringing slaughter up.
    I was responding to that thought someone presented in this discussion.

There was some similar case here a few months ago, but didn't involve that many horses.
    Those people are sick and need to be on probation and supervision if not taken out of circulation.

Not that I know, don't have the numbers to show so, but I think the police already has so much else they consider very important, like keeping people safe, that they are getting to animal abuse cases when they can, more than right away.
    Maybe that is why they can get this far and be repeaters, as this lady here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I was suggesting, that is a thought that has been crossing my mind, that all the anti slaughter, "lets rescue from slaughter" mentality is what has at times, in some cases, maybe here too, helped fuel some those disturbed individuals actions.
    Yes. Nailed it.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

You know, Bluey, that's just total crap. This happens because people don't report it, they don't want to get involved, they make excuses. When the case comes up for trial, they ignore it. We don't argue for laws for more punishment and oversight of animal abusers. Since the abuse laws are state based, there's no way to track someone who pulls up stakes and moves from state to state.

But ultimately, at least for the hoarders? They do it because we let them.

7 members found this post helpful.

ya..sooo...she does it again-this time with horses instead of dogs. And they REDUCE her bond..letting her back out on the street. Again.
    Seems NO ONE learned a lesson the first time..
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    ya..sooo...she does it again-this time with horses instead of dogs. And they REDUCE her bond..letting her back out on the street. Again.
    Seems NO ONE learned a lesson the first time..
    That's exactly my point. We (the collective we) let her get away with it. At the very least, she needs psychological help.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    Bluey: "Not that it matters on the ban slaughter debate, really, that is incidental, but it is worth noting when these cases come up that in these, the increase we have seen in those is in part because of the anti slaughter drives."

Those poor horses need help, but we need to stop more from being bred. Horse slaughter is only going to start a whole new business and reason to breed. Money, money, money. All those slaughter houses that are failing because of the drought and fewer cattle, need to stop licking their lips over horses.
    Not to mention that slaughter is a very active industry and if this woman had wanted to she could have called a dealer to come take them away to a plant very easily... which she didn't. Just like other neglect cases we've seen in the last few years: Trupia, Parkinson, 3 Strikes Ranch,...

This kind of neglect is not a slaughter/lack of slaughter issues in the least, except when it's convenient for people w/an agenda to make it one.

6 members found this post helpful.

Is the hypothesis that hoarders would sell their horses? I don't think so. I think people understand that hoarders hang onto stuff even if it means the stuff is infested with rats, rusting, rotting, starving, dying etc.

I think the hypothesis is that if people who are unable to care for their horses are unable to sell their horses- or if the price of horses goes below the price of a week of feed... that you will see more cases of neglect.

I have seen that "rescue" mentality in hoarders long ago in the dog world, it had not hit horses then yet, where hoarders would take dogs from streets and animal control so they would not be killed and get too many and before they knew it, some were dying, starving because hoarders don't believe anyone else can care for their animals as much as they do and can't see they are not handling it and need help.