The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default going from full care to self care- ah!

Hello all,
    My husband was recently stationed in Grand Forks, ND so we had to move and in June I am shipping out my 6 yo OTTB gelding. He's my first horse and although I have been riding since I was little I am not all that knowledgeable about different feeds and supplements. Right now he gets 10 lbs of Southern States Triple 10 and all the 1st cut timothy he wants and is turned out about 8 hours a day. Now the new stable on the base is self care only and I am looking for a feed since no one around here seems to carry Southern States. My BM suggested Blue Seal Vintage Victory and I was looking into Triple Crown Complete; I know we will probably have to adjust amounts depending on the feed. Once he gets out here he will be ridden most likely 5x a week. If anyone has any thoughts on either of those feeds I would appreciate hearing them!!
    Also he is a pretty good weight now and seems to be staying there fairly easily

Vintage Victory is close to 40% NSC - not anything I'd ever feed a horse.

TC Complete is 20% - much more acceptable

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you!

Get a label from the feed bag or see if their website has the nutritional content, take it to your new feed store and ask them for advice. If you haven't moved yet, I would take at least a few bags of his old stuff with you so you could mix in the new stuff and get him adjusted to it slowly.

If you want an even lower NSC feed, look into Triple Crown Senior.

There are a lot of different things to look into, from calorie content, protein and fat, nsc, amount of grain you're "supposed" to feed, etc.

Since you mentioned looking at TC grains, I would strongly recommend going with that and researching the different feeds within the brand. They are one of the highest quality brands you can get and a lot of people on this forum feed TC grains. TC Senior is VERY popular, and it isn't just for senior horses. It is a great, high protein/high fat/high fiber/low nsc grain perfect for med/hard keepers. Since your horse is currently eating 10 pounds of grain he definitely falls into the "hard keeper" category. With a grain like TC Senior, you will probably be able to lower the amount you feed. I wouldn't even bother looking at TC Complete, sure it's a good feed, but Senior is lower NSC.

Now you also mention your horse is on all first cutting hay. Does your new barn supply hay? If so what kind? IMO hay is always the bigger issue to deal with. If you are going to be buying your own hay, look for a 2nd cutting grass/alfalfa mix, it will provide much better nutrition/more calories (usually) than your average 1st cutting hay. The amount of grain your horse is on is definitely on the high side (although there isn't anything wrong with that) but IMO, it would be nice to get your horse on a more reasonable 5-6 lb of grain a day, and feeding higher calorie hay will help. If your barn is supplying the hay, what kind of hay is available?

The basis of any equine ration is good quality, grass hay. Buy the best you can find. I don't understand whether your moving to or from ND. That can make a VERY big difference in hay type. Once you set your hay type, then look at what supplementation you might need.

Ask around your stable mates. Look at their horses. If you like what you see then try it. If it doesn't work then try something else.

Remember that, except in very rare circumstances, it take a period of time (a week to a month) to see the true effect of most changes. So don't get too "jumpy" on making changes.

Don't obsess over feed! Time is your friend. Set up a base, give it some time, assess where you are, then change or stand pat as you will.

Good luck in your move.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

You won't find timothy hay in ND unless you have it shipped in. The basic grass hay in the midwest is brome hay and normally it has only one cutting. The debate about two cuttings of brome hay between farmers and ag guys is more volatile than the Ford verses Dodge truck debate. Prairie grass hay is also baled and folks tend to use it for a diet hay because horses don't wolf it down like they do properly cut brome hay.

I don't know about North Dakota but South Dakota is a huge, huge producer of terrific alfalfa hay that is shipped throughout the USA. The producers up there get three cuttings which are generally- Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day from the irrigated fields.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback and for the info about the hay! That was going to be my next question! I am glad I have some time to do more research and will definitely ask the people at the barn when I go to visit/check out the place for real! For clarification we moved from PA to ND

Tractor Supply stores (the ones I know in Nebraska and Missouri anyway) carry Standlee compressed bale and cube hay of many varieties. Cubed hay or hay pellets should be fed well moistened to prevent choke, but their baled hay comes in both straight alfalfa and an alfalfa/grass mix. Pricing on a 50lb bale here is $14 - $15 bucks, pricey but very high quality. That was great advice for you to get some extra bags of the grain your horse is accustomed to, to be able to do a gradual transition to different grain. TC feeds are top of the line, IMO, but Purina has improved their feed a lot, so if you have any trouble getting TC, you would probably want to try the Purina Ultium.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.