The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What type of show bridle do you use? Very interested to hear.

I am interested in learning about what kind of bridle you use when showing on the circuit (local, A, or AA.) Although I am more interested in hunter bridles, I would also love to hear what the jumpers prefer as well. What do you feel looks best on a pony or a horse? Do you like fancy stitched? How about padding and size? Really interested in what you use when in the ring. Thanks in advance!

I have a Showmark because it was really cheap and couldn't afford a different one (yay sales!) my trainer has everyone else in my barn in five star bridles which are beautiful. before my current one I had an ADT that was perfect and beautiful
    yes to fancy stitch, padding depends on the horse and we do local, A and AA shows
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

My horse wears a pessoa flat wide noseband fancy stitched bridle in the hunters and a custom designed fancy stitched figure 8 in the jumpers.

Jumps in an older Jimmys and hacks in an edgewood because Im too lazy to switch bits, Id rather switch bridles
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Edgewood, ADT, BET, and Ovation.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

Antares figure 8, of course for jumpers only! Also, just waiting for my new Dy'on Dressage Bridle to arrive.. very excited!

I have a Vespucci, Antares and D'yon bridle.

All are flash bridles. Whatever one I show in depends on what bit I want to use.

Hadfield (wide noseband for one, and regular fancy stitched for the other)

My horse has a large head so I use the fancy stitch, padded in the hunter ring. I have the Red-Barn Fusion and love it. http://www.justbridles.com/index.php...d=167&parent=1

It was fairly inexpensive, has held up well and I receive quite a few compliments.
    ~ Because sometimes you need a rainbow, butterfly, unicorn kitten.

I have a Red Barn Synergy bridle for hunter/eq classes. My horse loves it because of the unicrown, and I get tons of compliments on it- its super soft too. And the best part is I got it brand new on ebay for less than half of the normal price! I have a Dy'on figure-8 jumper bridle, which is the most gorgeous and soft piece of tack that I own. It was very expensive though

I have an ADT. It is super soft--almost too soft--but seems to hold up well so far. You have to be careful with Edgewoods--if you over oil them when they are new they stretch out badly. D'yon's are my fave.

I usually show in old New Calvary bridles, but my new guy is more cob sized and they don't fit. The bridle I need for him needs to be very narrow to suit his delicate head. So far I haven't found anything fine enough (1/2" noseband, mostly cob sized, but with a few horse-sized parts. I also have some Edgewoods, which are also too big for the new guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I usually show in old New Calvary bridles, but my new guy is more cob sized and they don't fit. The bridle I need for him needs to be very narrow to suit his delicate head. So far I haven't found anything fine enough (1/2" noseband, mostly cob sized, but with a few horse-sized parts. I also have some Edgewoods, which are also too big for the new guy.
    I haven't ordered anything from them, but Just Bridles lets you order the bridle piece-meal. That might be a solution for you. Just an idea.
    ~ Because sometimes you need a rainbow, butterfly, unicorn kitten.

All of my horses have Antares show bridles. I swear by them!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Where the seasons consist of winter and road construction.

Before I retired my mare, she showed in a square raised Showmark bridle which was very flattering for her quarter-horsey head, but I LOVE her in my old Edgewood - it actually seems to be flattering on almost any horse I put it on - though I joke that it is a reinvented Edgewood because I have had so much leather repair done on it over the years that the majority of it might not be fully Edgewood.

I love my wide noseband padded fancy stitched Bobby's. In the past, I've had an assortment of Edgewoods and a Pessoa wide noseband that I really liked.

I have a wide, padded, fancy stitched edgewood for my gigantor headed horse. And a plain padded edgewood for my petite headed horse.

I also have an ovation that I use as a hack bridle that I get a lot of complements on and you really can't beat the quality for the price.

Edgewood, Aramas chocolate and Vespucci. All hunters all the time. I don't like the really wide nosebands as I ride TBs and mine have refined heads. Mostly square raised and fancy stitched.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

I have two Smartpak Harwich bridles that I show in- one is just the plain raised bridle, no fancy stitching or padding, just plain and simple. The other is the Harwich fancy stiched and padded bridle, I got it because it has a matching standing martingale. Both were soft right out of the box and fit well and are beautiful!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare