The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How many bags of shavings for 2 horses?

Trying to estimate cost for shavings. (basic shavings from Southern States). This would be for 2 horses, turned in/out 12/12. One is older and SUPER clean and neat. Think, one poop pile in the same place every time, and doesn't mess things up. One/same pee area each time. Basically a few mucks and you're done...Horse # 2 is "medium" messy. How much approx. should I earmark for shavings per week? Between seasons they can be out 24/7 but this is for winter and summer.

I have two that could match yours, I have 12x12 matted stalls, use approx. 15 bags a month, maybe 20 if they need to stay in for really bad weather. Of course that is after the initial bedding of 5 bags per stall.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

I have two horses (one very clean, one medium!) that are in/out 12/12 like yours and I generally go through 1-2 bags per horse each week.

I'm thinking along the lines of the above posters, 1 bag/week for the neat one and 2 or 3/week for the other, once the stalls are bedded initially.

I've got one guy that mostly goes back outside to urinate and leave most of his manure there as well so often nothing to pick up at all. The other horse rarely goes out to do his business so quite often I move bedding from the clean horses stall to the dirty one. I'm guessing my dirty horse is probably a lot worse than your dirtier one so you'll probably use less than I do. I've only once counted the # of bags for a 2 wk period and figured ~10 or 5 bags per wk but I also bed pretty deep, especially come winter.

I don't know what size bag Southern States has but my bags are called Topp Bedding and are 6.5 cubic feet loose and 3.25 cubic feet compressed so they are on the larger size. I usually order my shavings at 100/load so I figure I get about 240-300 bags/yr total.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

Dirt floors, 11X15' stalls, one super messy, one super clean horse and I go through 2 bags a week of the TSC flake shavings.
    Boarded horse, clay floors, 12'X12' stall, horse has been completely stall bound for months, and I go through around 2-3 bags/week there.

We have 10x14 stalls, 12:12 turnout, rubber matts, three horses(one super neat, one stomper, one so-so): we go through 25 bags of shavings each month. So it appears that everyone is averaging about 6-8 bags per horse per month minimum. This is the kraft paper 3 1/2 cubic feet per bag compressed shavings at about $5 per bag.

I have 5 matted stalls, 3 are in and out, all are turned out 9 hours a day. We use pretty much one bag of shavings every other day, might have to double up occasionally. These are big bags though, 4.25 cubic feet compressed.

1-2 a week. You will use less if you deep bed. It just takes longer to clean, but stays a lot cleaner and less waste.

From reading other replies...looks like I use a lot less. I have 4 horses turned in for about 10-12 hrs daily. I use 4 bags a week...sometimes 5. I pick my stalls at night too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    1-2 a week. You will use less if you deep bed. It just takes longer to clean, but stays a lot cleaner and less waste.
    THIS. I have dirt/clay floors and I've used deep bed/deep litter method for 5 years. Never stinky, always soft, uses less shavings overall.

I have stall mats, 12x12 box stalls and two faily tidy horses. I use 2-3 bales a week. Bales are 7.5 cu. ft. loose.

Less if you're using pelleted bedding, more if you're using big fat fluffy shavings.

I go through 1-2 bags of shavings a week per horse. My horses are free to come and go but they are probably in about 16 -18 hours a day by choice (in the winter).
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010