The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default XC fences at Schooley Mill Park (MD)?

I'm headed to a PVDA show at Schooley Mill Park next weekend, and I know they used to have a few XC fences there to school. I was hoping to take my vest and jumping saddle along, and go do a little jump school after our two (BN) dressage tests. Nothing major, just a first school of the year while we're already somewhere with the opportunity to do so.

However, I was trying to look on their website to see if I needed to sign any additional waivers, etc., and can't seem to find any information at all on there being any kind of XC schooling there, only the riding rings. I know I saw fences when we showed there last summer--not a lot of stuff, but enough to canter around and jump a few things, horrify the DQs Does anyone know if there are still XC fences there?

They still have the jumps - they'll probably be there until the rot away or decide to turn the xc field into more baseball diamonds. I don't think you need to sign a waiver to jump in the field (I never have and go over there all the time).

Quote Originally Posted by jclevel2 View Post
    They still have the jumps - they'll probably be there until the rot away or decide to turn the xc field into more baseball diamonds. I don't think you need to sign a waiver to jump in the field (I never have and go over there all the time).
    Thanks for the info! I know there used to be information on the park website about there being XC jumps, but I was worried at not seeing anything on the site now. Glad to know we can go pop over a few things after we get our dressage on!

Oh, you will definitely wig some people out doing that while they are showing
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I got funny looks last summer when we went out on the trails (me on horse, BF on foot) after my ride. I'm sure a tack quick-change and heading out over fences will get even funnier ones! But I don't think you can see much of the XC stuff directly from the show ring, so while it might freak people out coming in or warming up, hopefully it won't bother anyone showing. Especially since I do like showing there, and that there's opportunity to do something more while we're there. I just wish the HoCo parks page had more information on it, because I bet if they made an effort there would be more use of it.