The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awwww, thanks wcporter!!! That was really very nice!!! You just made my day!!
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
    friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
    Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow i'm suprised more people haven't sided with the OP. I totally get what you mean...when my 90 lb german shepherd is playing with 3 other dogs and your 5 lb little dog goes running into the middle of it...my dog just isn't going to notice absolutely smoshing your dog.

2 members found this post helpful.

NO WAY should that owner have taken a 5 lb dog to the dog park & turned it loose!!! That's asking for trouble for sure. I would have removed my larger dog also but would have had to say something to the owner of the small dog. Ignorance has killed so many animals. This owner obviously doesn't understand the minds of dogs. I wouldn't let my JRs play with something that small. You did the right thing. That pup should have been in a special enclosure with very small dogs.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

3 members found this post helpful.

I have a Ridgeback. She was socialized with teenie dogs and huge dogs alike and has never been anything but gentle and sweet even with an 8 week old Boston Terrier puppy that my friend had. Killing tiny dogs is not "hardwired" in their brains. Socialize them the right way and you won't have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    I have a Ridgeback. She was socialized with teenie dogs and huge dogs alike and has never been anything but gentle and sweet even with an 8 week old Boston Terrier puppy that my friend had. Killing tiny dogs is not "hardwired" in their brains. Socialize them the right way and you won't have any issues.
    Certainly it will help, but the fact remains that plenty of working breeds will chase anything small and fast. Or just the size difference. Just because my 90 lb Dobe isn't going to hurt the 5 lb toy dog on purpose, it doesn't mean that in playing an errant paw won't send it flying.

So, I totally see where the OP is coming from and I would have been annoyed that someone showed up and messed up the doggy park dynamic. I also would have done the same thing and left with my dog, just like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by callmegold View Post
    Certainly it will help, but the fact remains that plenty of working breeds will chase anything small and fast. Or just the size difference. Just because my 90 lb Dobe isn't going to hurt the 5 lb toy dog on purpose, it doesn't mean that in playing an errant paw won't send it flying.

So, I totally see where the OP is coming from and I would have been annoyed that someone showed up and messed up the doggy park dynamic. I also would have done the same thing and left with my dog, just like you did.
    True, and she has very valid points. OP, I think it's great you mitigated a potentially bad situation and removed your dog. I understand your frustration. I am lucky my dog is good with big and small dogs but I imagine having a dog that would like to eat a small dog is pretty stressful when small dog owners don't understand that. My local dog park has a small dog area and a big dog area and if not many people are there, sometimes the small dog people will ask if they can come in the big dog area, but they don't just waltz in with a small dog and think that will be ok with everyone. There are absolutely some large dogs that go to that dog park that wouldn't think twice about ripping a small dog to shreds.

I see both sides of this as well. I have big dogs (a Chessie, a lab/hound mix and a fat Corgi) as well as a 10lb chihuahua and a 5 lb chihuahua. Thankfully I never took the small dogs to a dog park like I have with the big dogs - partially because of this BB! The other day, I was at a local pet boutique buying dog food, and they do have a back-yard area that is set up as sort of a dog park. They had a photographer there that day, so I took my guys out there. There were some owners with 2 Great Danes and a hound mix in there, so I did not put my guys down or let them off leash. I asked if their dogs were okay with small dogs (I know, I know), and they said yes. The lady with the hound mix said she is fine as long as they don't squeak. I put the bigger of my 2 guys down, and he is super socialized, He went trotting off but stayed fairly close to me. The little one I put down and the hound mix came over to sniff her. She is pretty socialized - we go to PetSmart every weekend and walk around and as I said, I have 3 other dogs. She panicked and started squeaking and the hound was just following her but with that look of possible intent. Thank goodness my girl was wearing her harness and I was able to scoop her back up as well as grab my larger guy. I was VERY lucky that it did not escalate from there and that the hound mix did not jump up. I will NEVER do that again. It can just happen too quickly, and my guys can run and play on the farm with my other dogs safely.

I just say this because it CAN happen quickly and even saavy owners sometimes make a mistake - I knew better, but wanted pictures of my guys, and the other dogs seemed very well behaved. It's about instinct and prey drive here with these tiny guys.

Just a word about the small dog "frou frou" issue. I never thought I would be one of those people, but I freely admit that I enjoy dressing my little one up (she DOES need the clothes some of the time as she has very little hair and gets cold easily). I see nothing wrong with it, and even if I carry her, she is NOT an accessory or a "baby" to me - she is loved and is treated like a dog in all other ways, but she is tiny and sweet and I enjoy having her with me and fussing over her a bit. I do not see why that causes disdain with some. Unless you know how the person treats the dog (yes, some people treat them as throwaways, but that happens with big dogs too - the ones tied outside all day and night etc.).

I've come to the conclusion that dog parks are just too dangerous on so many levels and am glad I have other options for my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was saying my dog is wired to kill small animals, NOT small dogs.

There were other small dogs in there too (like 10-20 lbs) and while I kept a sharp eye to make sure she didn't play too rough and correct her if she did, I was not worried about her "going after" them.

It was just that the teeeeny little dog, when running around from a distance, absolutely looked like a rodent (no offense intended!) she wants to eat.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

When I worked at a vet clinic we had a chiauhua pup come in with a broken leg from jumping off the sofa, 4 weeks later it broke a second leg, stepped on by a kid, it's xrays were on the light box at the same time as xrays of a 8 month old cat and its bones were half the size. I think the worry that a big dog would injure something that little accidently by stepping on it or knocking it sideways is really valid. I would never let my dogs play with something that small, they are all about 70lbs and they wrestle hard and fast, and will send each other a$$ over teakettle at speed, I shudder to think what would happen to something that small.

I don't think anyone is really arguing with the point that a tiny dog in the middle of dog park chaos can be dangerous. I think it was your attitude toward small dogs and their owners. You were mean and crabby about it when you didn't have to be.

You're right and I corrected myself.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

IMO dog parks that don't separate dogs by size are a disaster waiting to happen.

OP did the right thing by removing her dog. Better safe than sorry. Me? I wouldn't bring such a small dog and turn it loose with a bunch of strange dogs, but then I don't utilize dog parks at all for even the big guys.

If your park doesn't have restrictions as to size/weight and mixes everyone in together, just keeping doing what you do. Teach your dog to play nice with others but keep your
    attitude of discretion is the better part of valor.

Too many dog owners think it's adorable when mighty mite bites the big dogs but scream bloody murder (and it will be just that) when the big dogs bite back.

I don't see where anyone is saying the OP did the wrong thing removing her dog. I'm sure there are many risks, not just related to relative size, with dog parks. If the dog parks are open to all, expect to run into problems .

It's unfortunate for those who must rely on this to exercise their dogs. I'd not want to take my dogs to a place like that because of exposure to parasites, etc.

4 members found this post helpful.

So basically, the big dog owners think it messes up the dog park dynamic when some little dog that their big dog will interpret as "lunch" comes and wants to make use of the dog park too.

Meanwhile, little dog owners surely think it messes up the dog park dynamic when everything in there views their little dog as "lunch."

Both sides think the other side's desire to use the dog park at the expense of their continued participation is unreasonable. The other side should have to go home, not me. I am not messing up THEIR dynamic, THEY are messing up MINE.

In sum, everyone behaves like a toddler and nobody works on their "sharing" skills.

A+.

4 members found this post helpful.

Protecting someone else's dog when that someone is either too ignorant or too delusional is not behaving like a toddler. It's extremely responsible behavior of putting safety first.

It's not the owners' sharing skills that could wreak havoc here. It's the dogs'. Even nice dogs. As others have said, in a frenzy of playing & tussling with a bunch of big dogs the tiny one gets stepped on and squeaks, it would only take a fraction of a second to end that dog's life. And the big dogs would be like, what? I didn't grab you nearly as hard as I tumble with Spot over there. Why are you dead now?

The owners obviously have sharing skills since they're sharing the dog park to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Protecting someone else's dog when that someone is either too ignorant or too delusional is not behaving like a toddler. It's extremely responsible behavior of putting safety first.

It's not the owners' sharing skills that could wreak havoc here. It's the dogs'. Even nice dogs. As others have said, in a frenzy of playing & tussling with a bunch of big dogs the tiny one gets stepped on and squeaks, it would only take a fraction of a second to end that dog's life. And the big dogs would be like, what? I didn't grab you nearly as hard as I tumble with Spot over there. Why are you dead now?

The owners obviously have sharing skills since they're sharing the dog park to begin with.
    Actually to me it read like b*tching that, "omg, guys, after my big dog and I had a turn some little dog came and ruined it and we had to leave so they could have a turn too."

Sometimes in this thing called Life it is perfectly reasonable to stop having your turn so someone else can have theirs too.

Let's all wrap our heads around it.

Didn't read like that to me. Small dogs are one thing, but according to the OP this dog is the size of a guinea pig. As Taylor Swift says, Trouble, trouble....

my 150 pound great dane, extremely high prey drive, used to play with a tiny miniature pinscher- they were great buddies. The dane would lower his head and wave his ears around and the min pin would leap up and try to grab them. They were hilarious to watch together.
    despite his extremely high prey drive he never had the slightest difficulty distinguishing between dogs and other animals. Once he was attacked by a suicidal jack russel, and despite the fact he could have killed it with one swipe with his paw, all he did was look to me to save him.

I've seen that behavior in a number of Great Danes. In fact, the internet is full of photos of GD's on top of the couch while tiny Chihuahuas stare them down. It's probably anecdotes like this that make some people extrapolate to "oh, my guinea pig-sized dog will be just fine at the dog park."

Meup, you're right. Tiny Dog does have the right to go in there. And note that I didn't tell TD's owner to please leave. I left instead and took Osa and he older sister -who I have no problems with anywhere - for a long loop around the human park in hopes that when I got back 30 mins later, TD would be gone and Osa could go back to romping around. Before TD came we had only been in there for 5 mins.

But if we're going to talking about "sharing the dog park" then I would say TD's owners are the ones who need to work on that since I came back twice over the course of an hour hoping they'd left....but they never did. So we went home.

No big deal. I guess I was just annoyed because the DP is the one place where Osa actually wears her psychopath puppy energy out, so I came on here to vent.

As always COTH helps me see other perspectives.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse