The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have a chihuahua cross that is 10lbs. I also have 2 different city dog parks near me and we have been to both.

Both cities have large and small dog areas. I find both types of owners to be clueless at times in the more relaxed dog park!

I do watch out for my tiny pooch and we leave if there are large dogs coming into the same paddock as my guy.

the "better" one takes license tag numbers and thus the owners are a bit more knowledgeable.

as a small dog owner, I appreciate you caring for the little one, pink sweater and all!
    My little guy is somewhat timid with large dogs and was chased horribly by a GS once when they were combined.
    never again!

I think it can only partially be trained, some dogs really just have a high drive for prey and if your dog is one of them it does not belong in a dog park.

If you can teach your dog to be gentle (ie. not to kill shake his toys, but make him treat it like a baby), it may help. If he can "leave it" and not chase small animals like squirrels this will help too.

I have a pitty and a min poodle. Odd combo, but pittie since day one was not allowed to do anything but sniff the rabbits, cats etc. She ignores squirrels, birds etc. The poodle is also taught not to be a stupid dog. She is not yappy, she is well commanded and she is treated like a dog and not a toy.

I dont dog park either of them, but they certainly meet and greet new dogs on a daily basis. All sizes, including ones in sweaters

2 members found this post helpful.

The dog park I have been to had two enclosures - one for small dogs, one for large. It went by weight.

Over-reaction, have to say. And kinda mean. Just b/c it's not your type of dog doesn't mean your type of dog has more rights. I have huge dogs, hunting dogs and a tiny dog and they're all good. I have a Blackmouth Cur that manages not to chase and kill things despite her hunting drive.

I happen to really dislike dogs that want to chase and kill small/other creatures, for that matter. And I detest dog parks most of all...

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    So how might I go about working on something like that? I mean, to get to the point where I can be sure,while off-leash, that she wouldn't at the very least, even accidentally, maim such a small dog?
    You have to see things before she does. You have to have a terrific "HEY!(STOP AND LOOK AT ME!!)" Not just a recall. The HEY! is more important. Most of all, you need to be aware of your surroundings and control your dog accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    You have to see things before she does. You have to have a terrific "HEY!(STOP AND LOOK AT ME!!)" Not just a recall. The HEY! is more important. Most of all, you need to be aware of your surroundings and control your dog accordingly.
    Oh trust me, I have the aware of surroundings thing down pat! I saw the little dog long before she did and on the leash she went.

I'm not convinced she'd do anything but I would never ever forgive myself if something happened that I could have prevented, esp. if it involved someone's pet.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I have both small and huge dogs.........and in the role of small dog owner, it is MY responsibility to watch out for their safety, just as I would look after a small child, and not leave it to its own devices..................but, it is ALSO my responsibility as a large dog owner to be aware of potential disasters and avert them as well......JUST AS YOU DID........

perhaps the owners of the wee puppy were/are ignorant of their role in the world of the dog park.....I find that many owners of small dogs tend to be clueless of typical "doggie issues" because , "oh, poopsie is soooo small it really doesn't matter, does it?".......many don't really have the knowledge or ability to see the world through a dog's eyes, because they simply see their dog as more of an accessory, if that mkes sense...

BOTH parties need to be responsible owners, and unfortunately, if one party does not act accordingly, it may mean the other owner must suck it up and have the sole responsibility for avoiding disaster..........
    good luck, and thankfully , you are aware enough to BE that responsible owner, even if it ruined your fun.......

were you able to perhaps enlighten them to the potential dangers of bringing such a young and small dog to the park, and the similarity it may have to a toy or rodent,as viewed by other dogs?

Yeah, somewhat I agree that you are overreacting when you thought that the very small dog would = squirrel in your dog's mind. Even with a sweater, it would still smell like a dog. But, if your worried, better to remove one's self

I wouldn't be so worried about my big dog eating the less than 5 pounder, I would be worried if my dog stepped on it or sat on it or something. That little dog is, well, very small. My Rottie liked to poke stuff with her foot. No problem for a regular sized small dog, but a less than 5 pounder? If it were my dog, I would be very concerned about it getting inadvertently hurt.

A stray boxer came through our yard chasing the ducks last weekend and my 4 lb chi chased her before we even knew what was going on. My biggest fear was that the boxer would chomp her back or chase/roll her. She's been sat on or stepped on or trampled by the big dogs here and been just fine but a well-places chomp on the spine is tough for any small animal to recover from. Thankfully she came back when I called her and I already had the boxer on the run...

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho392 View Post
    were you able to perhaps enlighten them to the potential dangers of bringing such a young and small dog to the park, and the similarity it may have to a toy or rodent,as viewed by other dogs?
    I did explain why my dog went promptly on the leash as their little dogs (they also had a 10-pounder with them that I was much less concerned about since it was at least bigger than my dog's head) came bounding over. But they just kept saying, "oh she'll (tiny puppy) be fine! You don't have to do that."

I just smiled and told them it wasn't their dog I was worried about. Clearly they didnt get it.

Like I said, even if she had no intent of going after it, one misplaced bounce or swat and tiny dog would be a goner.
    Last edited by wcporter; Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: removing condescending names ;-)
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Even the littlest POSs need a place to play.

I think what you wrote last, that you are worried your dog might make their dog into an hors d'oeuvre, should have been said out loud. The Little POS's owner was clueless but well-meaning, so give her a clue and let you know that you are well-meaning, too. Maybe she would have offered to gather up her dog after 10 minutes or so, so that you could have a turn.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I did explain why my dog went promptly on the leash as poopsie and moopsie (they also had a 10-pounder with them that I was much less concerned about since it was at least bigger than my dog's head) came bounding over. But they just kept saying, "oh she'll (Poopsie) be fine! You don't have to do that."

I just smiled and told them it wasn't their dog I was worried about. Clearly they didnt get it.

Like I said, even if she had no intent of going after it, one misplaced bounce or swat and Poopsie would be a goner.
    I do not think that you overreacted at all by removing your dog from that situation. A local dog park installed separate areas for small and large dogs because a dog later described by onlookers as a spaniel mix killed a 4 month old Chihuahua puppy. Sometimes dogs do have their prey drive kicked in by a much smaller dog that is running, and even though the other dog smells like a dog a terrible accident can happen.
    I am one who avoids dog parks because they make me nervous. If I had a small dog, I would never allow him or her to play with unfamiliar large dogs. I have had large dogs that were really good with small dogs and never had that prey drive reaction towards them, but I have also had large dogs that did have a prey drive-type reaction to small dogs. All of these dogs were socialized with small dogs, but sometimes instinct takes over. I've been fortunate to have never had a serious incident with any of my dogs, but I only went to a dog park a few times before I realized that I didn't feel comfortable allowing my dogs to run loose with a bunch of other dogs without knowing how they would get along. Now my dogs play with each other and with other dogs that are similar in size and that they have been very carefully introduced to. Other than that, my ultimate goal is for my dogs to ignore other dogs in public settings as much as possible.
    Good luck. I don't think that they were wise to let that tiny little puppy loose with much larger dogs that they didn't know. It was a good idea to remove your dog from that situation. There have definitely been problems between large and small dogs at these parks - that is why many have little dog areas and big dog areas.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can sympathize with the OP largely because of the many times I've resignedly left a park (regular, not dog) early, or executed an abrupt about-face on a street because of a "hippo" running at large. Those "hippos" and their lame owners who think owning a big, powerful dog is somehow cute... Man, they irk me. Seriously, it cuts both ways. And honestly, while I think the dog's owners are troublingly naive about how fragile life is, it is not the responsibility of the smaller/lighter/less aggressive party to avoid trouble. It's common sense, but in a civilized world, that's not the final verdict. If your dog is thinking of attacking another dog, you leave. OP's behavior was common courtesy and I commend her for leaving. Sorry, it sucks, but sometimes we all have to leave the party early.

The language - guinea pig, it - may be intended to lighten the mood, but it makes me wonder if the OP's dog may be reacting less to the size of the dog, and more to its owner's reaction to the dog as less-than.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    The language - guinea pig, it - may be intended to lighten the mood, but it makes me wonder if the OP's dog may be reacting less to the size of the dog, and more to its owner's reaction to the dog as less-than.
    You might have me there!

And FWIW, I love guinea pigs, I would just never bring one to a dog park
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Like owner...

We have a dog park here with a small dog side and a large dog side. There is no way I would ever let a small dog go in with the big dogs/vise versa. It's too easy for prey drive to kick in, and the little dog is toast. And it can happen to a normally good big dog that never shows aggression...a yelp from a small dog, a noisy "fight" among two big dogs that get the others excited, or a small dog running can all trigger prey drive in a normally non aggressive dog.

Our park is great about having all of the small dog owners, basically form a circle around someone trying to bring a large dog into the small side, and "kicking them out". Someone tried to bring a Rott into the small side, and it looked like a villager uprising minus the torches...

4 members found this post helpful.

Can you please knock off with the Poopsie crap? It is rude. You don't have to like small dogs any more than they have to like your dog but you are just being condescending and rude. Not all tiny dogs that wear sweaters have clueless owners. Many little dogs are rescues just like mine, not paid for designer purse dogs. Many little dogs actually NEED to
    wear sweaters and the like.

Geez, small dog owners take more crap than anyone. If you don't take your dog out or keep them from socializing with big dogs, you must be a coddling idiot and if you DO try to get them out you are an idiot guilty of ruining the fun of "real dog" owners. It gets REALLY old.
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
    friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
    Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

14 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

We should also remember that little dogs like terriers were originally bred as working dogs just like larger breeds were. Why are their owners any different from those of us with larger breeds? We've all "domesticated" our pets, meaning very few of us use them for their originally bred purpose, regardless of their size.

Heck, I lived in Paris for 6 months, so I've seen it all when it comes to dog ownership. Little dogs being carted around under arms or in carriers in clothing stores (have you ever seen a terrier in a GAP changing room? Yup...only in Paris!), larger dogs dressed like ballerinas...you name it. I don't judge anymore after that experience, but I will never dress my lab as a ballerina.

I guess my relevant point is when it comes to dog parks I think they should all have separate areas for small and large dogs to avoid the awful scenario described above with the spaniel. I would never be able to forgive myself if my dog killed someone else's. OP, you definitely did the right thing, and maybe if you run into those owners again some gentle education is in order. Just something like, "While I trust my dog, he is still a dog and follows his instincts. Yours is extremely small and still a puppy (?). If my dogs prey drive kicks in there's little I could do to stop him and I'd never forgive myself if something happens to your cute dog!"
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by kelliope View Post
    Can you please knock off with the Poopsie crap? It is rude. You don't have to like small dogs any more than they have to like your dog but you are just being condescending and rude. Not all tiny dogs that wear sweaters have clueless owners. Many little dogs are rescues just like mine, not paid for designer purse dogs. Many little dogs actually NEED to
    wear sweaters and the like.

Geez, small dog owners take more crap than anyone. If you don't take your dog out or keep them from socializing with big dogs, you must be a coddling idiot and if you DO try to get them out you are an idiot guilty of ruining the fun of "real dog" owners. It gets REALLY old.
    You're right. I'm sorry. I do not want to offend anyone. And I do not have a problem with small dogs...or dogs wearing clothes. Mine wears a SP Thinsulate in the winter.

It was not that it was a little dog...it was that it was a very very very tiny, fragile puppy that I could have held in one hand. I think its great they want to socialize it (seriously!).

I just 100% do not think it belongs in a public dog park running around with other strange dogs 10-20x times its size. That was my point from the beginning.

ETA: Poopsie et al. is now removed from my posts.
    Last edited by wcporter; Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: ETA
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

We fostered a 5 lb poodle the other month and I know how you feel. Abraham was the sweetest thing and a joy to have around but I decided I couldn't own one that small. He was really good about skedaddling out of the way of the big dogs, and the big dogs barely paid him attention after the initial wtf reaction but I was just too nervous that something would happen, like getting rolled or stepped on. My aunt has teacup poodles and one broke a leg just from jumping off the bed, so I'm hyper aware of how fragile they can be.
    And I will add that sweaters, especially the dogs who haven't seen dogs in them, a really intriguing, and not always in a safe way. We have to be careful not to let the clothed dog get swarmed by the others if we put a sweater on one in our house.