The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Magnetic sheets. Research supporting them? Opinions? Kool-Aid drinkers?

Specifically, this one:
    http://www.sstack.com/horse-care_the...agnetic-sheet/

I have a credit at Schneider's and instead of getting another winter blanket (since it is April) I'm looking at other goodies.

My big TB tends to get tight in his back. We do lots of stretching in warm-up, but I was wondering if something like this would help before or after our ride. If I had enough credits, I would get the BoT sheet, but alas, I do not. So, what's the verdict on said magnetic sheets? Handy, or horse-owners-are-suckers tool?

There is zero evidence of the value of static magnets in any healing therapy. That is, if you don't have to plug it in to a power source, it's not the magnets that help.

It may be that for some horses simply wearing any blanket warms the back in a helpful way.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Yeah. I don't know about something like that, but at this very moment, Toby is "cooking" in our fancy-pants magnetic/massage blanket (20 minute mag cycle, 10 minute gentle massage). Makes a huge difference in him. Ours has a battery pack. I'm less convinced of the BOT sheet, but I do think it helps some, as long as it doesn't piss him off by binding up on his shoulders.

Money well wasted.
    Click here before you buy.

4 members found this post helpful.

I would think that if there is massage, or it creates a warmer area, it may help the horse. But magnets? Please. I agree with DW, money well wasted. Put on a warmer cooler.

I bought that SS magnetic sheet a few months ago because 1) my trainer let me borrow hers (a different brand) and I thought it MIGHT be doing something - there was some heat under the magnets after 20 minutes or so) and 2) this article by Dr. Kellon http://www.horse-journal.com/magazin...the-real-deal/ and 3) positive reviews on the SS website.
    As Dr. Kellon suggests I use SoreNo More under the magnets. Unfortunately I don't think this sheet works as wells as trainer's much more expensive model. No heat under magnets. Sorry to say - I think any kind of heat applied to the back works just as well.

Warmth and massage does help. I usually start off with a quarter sheet during the winter and sometimes massage my horse before I ride. But magnets? How did that ever get started?

1 members found this post helpful.

Somebody with a brilliant marketing mind (but who no doubt got terrible marks in science class) had a brainstorm, and human nature took it the rest of the way.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Somebody with a brilliant marketing mind (but who no doubt got terrible marks in science class) had a brainstorm, and human nature took it the rest of the way.
    Probably the French. For Heaven's sake, they got us hooked on bottled water. Bottled water!

Evian. Marketing genius.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Probably the French. For Heaven's sake, they got us hooked on bottled water. Bottled water!

Evian. Marketing genius.
    Hey now. . . it's all in the presentation. Or as your neighbor is fond of saying. . . it's only weird if it doesn't work.

Thanks all. I did some searching around and didn't see much that was conclusive, so I figured I'd ask the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I'm less convinced of the BOT sheet, but I do think it helps some, as long as it doesn't piss him off by binding up on his shoulders.
    Ooh, tell me more. I had written off all of these blankety treatmenty things, but am actually coming around to BOT products as it has a simple, logical explanation (heat is good - the ceramic helps the BOT wraps reflect more heat back rather than just absorbing and dissipating it like a plain fabric wrap does) and studies to show that it works. The blimming explanations for magnet therapy are so frustrating to me as they demonstrate a complete lack of basic science and how the body works/interacts with magnets. What are your thoughts on BOT stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    I am old enough to remember when the tap water in France (and Italy) was not cosidered safe to drink (at least for foreigners). Bottled water was then needed for health reasons.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I strongly suspect that the primary benefit of all these magnetic horse gadgets is the placebo effect they exert on the human.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I constantly wish I had such a mind (although I'd hate to give up my science). Warmth and massage no doubt will help loosen muscles. Magnets...ummm...not so much.

The only thing I've seen consistent good evidence about is far infrared therapy for various types of pain. There is some evidence about pulsed electromagnetic field therapy (both in humans).
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Er... no. But their Dura-Mesh fly sheets are nice and around the same price.

I use to have a magnetic blanket, but switched over to a Draper Therapy stable sheet.
    Magnetic blanket= a tiny bit of warmth, no improvement in horse's way of going
    Draper blanket= warmth + improvement