The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can an LR4 pull a 3-horse trailer?

Can a LR4 (land rover 4 2012) pull a nice sized three horse trailer with a dressing room? I can't find the approximate weight of a trailer anywhere- plus the weight of three horses. The maximum towing capacity if the truck is 7,716 lbs. The truck itself weighs 5,860 lbs. Thank you!

Absolutely not.

It also took just a little Googling to figure out that the average weight for Featherlite and Eclipse 3h + dressing room trailers is right around 4,000lbs.

Also, a 3h slant +dressing room bumper pull trailer is an unwieldy beast of a trailer. I didn't bother looking up the specs for the Land Rover because it's not a suitable vehicle anyway, but in addition to a weight issue it's quite likely you have a wheelbase/stability issue as well.

2 members found this post helpful.

No way. I wouldn't pull that with anything less than an Excursion or 3/4 ton truck.

1 members found this post helpful.

A three horse steel trailer fully loaded? Maybe, theoretically, with very skinny horses, but not for long, fast, or up an incline. Three 1200lbs horses puts you within 100 lbs of the maximum capacity. Add equipment, feed, you're over the limit. You could haul a Brenderup or similar trailer designed for smaller vehicles but I doubt you'd get very far with the trailer you describe.

You are absolutely crazy if you think you can put close to 8,000 pounds of shifting weight behind anything with a 114" wheelbase.

You are also going to be way over the max tongue weight of 550 pounds for the LR4.
    Last edited by airhorse; Apr. 6, 2013 at 08:00 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Definitely not. Don't even try it.

Okay thank you! I guess I'll stick with the two horse

Quote Originally Posted by SofiPony View Post
    Okay thank you! I guess I'll stick with the two horse
    I am pretty sure a 2 horse is still way over the tongue weight. My 2H straight aluminum trailer's tongue weight is 592lbs and that is considered light.

3 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't pull the 400 lb tag along trailer I used to take to the dump on my Hummer H2 with a Landrover of any kind, nevermind an LR4. I would rethink your choice in towing vehicles, OP!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

No.

Punkie, right on, me neither.

You may be able to pull, but the real question is: can you stop.

No, probably not. I wouldn't haul my little darling(s) with a rover at all.

Stuff happens.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    I wouldn't pull the 400 lb tag along trailer I used to take to the dump on my Hummer H2 with a Landrover of any kind, nevermind an LR4. I would rethink your choice in towing vehicles, OP!
    I find this statement moderately fascinating because apart from the slightly longer wheelbase, the H2 actually has about 1000lbs less for towing capacity.

Not that I'm advocating towing anything more than a stripped down 2-horse with the L4, but just keeping things in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    No.

Punkie, right on, me neither.

You may be able to pull, but the real question is: can you stop.

No, probably not. I wouldn't haul my little darling(s) with a rover at all.

Stuff happens.
    Just because this argument drives me insane....

I have a GMC 2500 truck. A vehicle that nobody would argue is not a good tow vehicle. It's rated for 11,000lbs. It's curb weight is under 5,000lbs. Do you honestly think that, should the trailer brakes go out and my truck needed to stop a 10,000lb load, that it would be able to? (Quickly/emergency situation here.) No, it's highly unlikely.

Yes, shit happens, and yes, it's best to have a large truck. But if it all really goes to hell in a handbasket, that larger truck is not going to be a huge asset, all things considered.

So yes, OP needs to reconsider her trailer options. No, her original 3h+dr is absolutely not an acceptable option. Heck, I am of the mind that most 2h+dr are not going to be an option either. But there's no reason she can't buy one of the newer, lighter Euro/Brenderup style trailers to pull with her vehicle that has an almost 8000lb tow rating. (Although for safety's sake I'd round down and call it 7, and try to stay below 6.5, and get all sorts of equalizer hitches and sway bars.)

Brenderup's have tongue weights under 200lbs, for most models. There are Safr trailers and others with similar specs. Probably not going to fit into the OP's image of an ideal trailer, and they're going to be pricer, but if you're hauling with a Range Rover you can up the trailer budget a bit.
    Last edited by GoForAGallop; Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post

So yes, OP needs to reconsider her trailer options. No, her original 3h+dr is absolutely not an acceptable option. Heck, I am of the mind that most 2h+dr are not going to be an option either. But there's no reason she can't buy one of the newer, lighter Euro/Brenderup style trailers to pull with her vehicle that has an almost 8000lb tow rating. (Although for safety's sake I'd round down and call it 7, and try to stay below 6.5, and get all sorts of equalizer hitches and sway bars.)

Brenderup's have tongue weights under 200lbs, for most models. There are Safr trailers and others with similar specs. Probably not going to fit into the OP's image of an ideal trailer, and they're going to be pricer, but if you're hauling with a Range Rover you can up the trailer budget a bit.
    Yep. Brenderup/equivalent would be fine (we haul ours with a 2010 Explorer). No wobble or wind problems like people who don't have one insist they must have, either.