The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reasonably Priced Secure Saddle for Amateur Adult

I am riding in a Beval, which is just OK. It does fit my horse well. I don't feel very secure with it, meaning I've ridden in other saddles (Todd Minikus, CWD for example) where I felt like my legs were tight and my seat stayed in place. The wake up call was the other night when I was coming back from a hack out in the state park. My horse spooked at deer and I don't know how I stayed on because I slid right off the side of the saddle before pulling myself back up (good horse for spinning and stopping, not running away!). When I am completely relaxed in my saddle, there is just absolutely nothing there keeping me in place.

I don't want to fork over $2k for a saddle. I don't show a lot, do a lot of trail riding, and spend most of my time on flatwork instead of jumping because I trailer to lessons. I would definitely get a used saddle, and have no problem buying off ebay.

Am I ridiculous and out of touch with how expensive saddles are that I can't get something decent for my needs?

Maybe I just need full seat breeches?

Could you maybe get a second saddle for trail riding? I know a lot of H/J people don't like All purpose type saddles, but my Ainsley Chester saddle makes me feel very secure. A flat seated, close contact type saddle does not give me that same feeling. Find something that you like and then try finding it used online. Something like a Wintec, Ainsley, etc. can be found for a few hundred. A deeper seat and knee rolls/blocks might do the trick. Then you could keep the Beval for jumping and showing.

How much time do you spend in the saddle when you trail ride? Do you jump much while trail riding?

Have you considered using an endurance or dressage saddle? -- I was particularly fond of an old Wintec dressage saddle for trail riding --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Are you opposed to older saddles that are perhaps not fashionable any more, but are very secure? I've got an old Keiffer all-purpose saddle that is a beautiful saddle, but just not in style any more. It's the kind of saddle that actually takes effort to fall out of, but is well balanced and well made at the same time. Nice old saddles like this can be had for next-to-nothing as well, since most people turn their noses up at how they look (round cantle, suede knee rolls, etc.).

Agree with Small Change--look for a good, used all-purpose saddle with knee and thigh blocks. Stubben Siegfrieds are available on e-bay all the time. There's an MF Siegfried Special on e-bay right now that is in beautiful condition--maybe a little pricey for you, but it looks especially secure. Regular Siegfrieds in good condition can be had for cheap.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    How much time do you spend in the saddle when you trail ride? Do you jump much while trail riding?

Have you considered using an endurance or dressage saddle? -- I was particularly fond of an old Wintec dressage saddle for trail riding --
    I laughed when I read this, because I trail ride in an older Wintec dressage saddle as well (ca. 2003) and let me tell you, that sucker is SECURE. It doesn't belong to me, I ride my friend's horse and it's what fits him so I use it instead of my own H/J saddle. But I have definitely developed a fondness for its nice grippy, deep seat! OP, you could do a lot worse for a trail saddle - and it wouldn't be expensive.

I have a Crosby XLE and feel very secure. I got it used and seems to fit many horses. May be a good option!

The most secure saddle I've ever ridden in is my Stubben Roxane. Its meant for foxhunting (which is the main reason I got it). Its comfortable to be in for hours on end. I also trail ride and do endurance rides in it. I believe they call it a 'half deep' seat and it has really small blocks. I don't ever feel like I'm locked into it. I can move around any way I'd like still, but I also feel 100% secure in it no matter what shenanigans my Arab pulls.

You can find them for under $1000 on ebay. Mine was about $700 at a local tack shop.

I love, love, love my Barnsby Cirrus, which I bought slightly used for $600 - 700 some years ago. It has knee blocks that are positioned correctly in front of my knee, is extremely comfy, but still allows me to ride in a correct two point without me feeling locked in.

I rode in an absolutely flat Prix de Nations type saddle for years, when I stepped down to recreational riding, I wanted something a little more substantial and secure.

Here's one for sale -

http://http://www.saddlesource.com/cons00001292.html

I have an AP collegiate saddle for sale.

look into collegiatte's.

County Innovation hands down

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Think about what you liked in the CWD, etc. that made you feel more secure. I suspect that you liked knee and thigh blocks and a half-deep to deep seat- in which case focus on saddles that have those aspects and the shape to fit you and your horse, rather than a brand name, because most brands these days have something like that.

Another consideration is that calf or buffalo leather are "stickier" than grain. The trade-off is that calf wears more quickly and good buffalo is expensive. If you could find a saddle with, say, a calf seat but grain flaps, that might be a good compromise.

Another option, if you really liked knee and thigh blocks but like the seat on yours, might be to look into having these installed on your current saddle. This may change the fit of it, and you'd be well served to ask a good saddler about it, but it can be done and would not be as expensive as purchasing new.

Without knowing anything about your build or your horse's I won't say anything about brands that might do, but knowing the specific features that you want will be a good place to start.

(Or you could get full seat breeches and put a martingale on for an oh-crap strap to grab onto if the horse does a 180. )
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I have a Marc Toulouse Padjette that I feel very secure in.