The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *UPDATE* Good Ending - For the love of all that is good and holy, call the vet!

I will duly warn everyone that this is a vent.

I went to help my neighbor look at a horse for her kid. Horse is sweet, quiet, and dead lame on the longe. Not "a little off", we're talking about looks like a cripple lame in the front end. Owner comes over and cheerfully says "Ready to get on"? Then says "he was only a little off in one direction" (uh, no, only a cripple in one direction, definitely headbobbing in the other).

I try to gently say that perhaps said horse should not be ridden, and that the vet should come look at him. Owner has a strange emotional reaction, but we assure her that these things happen. (Did not advise neighbor to ride the horse and she did not)

I take a look at horse's leg, reactive to palpation around the lower cannon/high fetlock area which feels squishy but cold. Feet are extremely uneven (high heel on "sound" leg, low heel and massive quarter crack on unsound leg). Conformation somewhat poor to begin with.

Later that evening, I spoke with former owner (who I found out that I know) who said horse was given to current owner as a trail horse if that. Current owner selling for much more than $0. Former owner may be able to get him back. I look at pictures of him in the past when sound and feet look good, even though he's still over at the knee.

Me? I feel terrible. Current owner will not be getting vet out. Horse has never had a formal diagnosis. What are the chances that it is mechanical and can be fixed? I feel like he needs to get out of there before he gets sold to some poor shmuck who would ride him when lame.

I'd love to be able to just say "can't save them all", but he is weighing on my mind. I know that it's unwise to buy a horse with a condition, and am thinking I'm crazy for considering opening my pasture to another horse who has an uncertain future but damn. People suck.

So, shy of becoming a 50whatever c, what would you do?
    Last edited by OneGrayPony; Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM.

Bless you for tracking down former owner, and I certainly hope former owner will get the horse back. Mechanical issues definitely need fixing before any further diagnostics will be reliable. The critter certainly needs an owner upgrade!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know. I've come to the conclusion that I can't save them all. Can you help the former owner get him back?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Vent over! Talked to former owner this morning who was worried about stall space and I happen to have an open stall he can use temporarily! Best of all worlds!! :-)

9 members found this post helpful.

I hear ya only in a different way, here's why you need to move on because whatever happens happens! If it ends up you can do something, great, but probably not.

To make a long story short friends of mine were looking for a horse for their daughter ( 90 lbs soaking wet, not a great rider) They ask me to look at a video, video is of a nondescript chestnut gelding, not a good mover and way too big for girl, I tell them my opinion. After investigation, I find out horse has an attitude, no one will buy him and I tell them to look else where.

So, they spend 25K on the horse and a few weeks later girl is in hospital (ICU, shes could have died.) She eventually stopped riding altogether. I mean what do I know, I've been riding all my life and neither of the parents ride and barely know anything about horses. Instructor took an nice commission as well. End of sad story.

I tried to save a girl and your trying to save a horse I hope it works out. People do not listen and you can't make them, my heart breaks for horses all the time and I wish it didn't.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

2 members found this post helpful.

A couple of years ago I paid $2500 for a horse I loved (previous boarder), that I knew was lame, and I knew the owners didn't think she was....and they were selling her as sound. It wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done - after 2 years she's doing much better but I doubt she'll ever be usable for much at all.

I don't recommend it, but I don't regret it. I love the mare and feel like she deserves at worst, to be retired here.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Vent over! Talked to former owner this morning who was worried about stall space and I happen to have an open stall he can use temporarily! Best of all worlds!! :-)
    Yea!!!! I posted not seeing your final end. . . yea again.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

That's awesome!

Well done, Onegray!
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran