The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bedding question

Why are some people only bedding the back 1/2 of the stall? I've seen a few pictures in real estate ads of farms and some of them that show stalls that have only bedding in the back 1/2? One is a farm that is listed at $1,495,000. I've got a friend that does the same but I know she's always been very skimpy with the bedding anyway-now even less.

I'm not saying you have to bed the stalls a foot deep in shavings but I don't care what anyone says, a bare stall mat is still cold to lie down on.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Were there horses in the stalls? Sometimes, after cleaning a stall- I rake all the bedding off any wet places on the floor so it can really air out- and then I redistribute the bedding when I put the horse back in.

Also there is a style of bedding where you bank shavings against a wall- and rotate around the stall- using more bedding that you actually need- but giving the spare bedding several days "rest" between use. A banked stall could potentially give the appearance of having all the shavings off to one side.

Both barns I work at sweep the shavings about 2-3 feet back from the front of the stall. It helps keep the shavings from being dragged out of the stall when the horse goes out. It helps keep the hay from being mixed into the bedding.

The bigger barn I work at is a bit skimpy on shavings but that has nothing to do with sweeping the shavings back. The other barn is a 6 stall, only 3 horses atm and each stall has 3-4 bags of fluffy shavings at any given time. The horses lay down in the bedded area, not the bare mats.

Also, at the bigger barn, most of the horses get their grain dumped on the ground so the bare mats are a clean surface to eat off of.

1 members found this post helpful.

plainandtall-no horses in the stall in the pictures BUT my friend, who beds like that, did finish bedding the stalls and then put the horse in.

As for moving the bedding to let wet spot dry, I do the same after I've cleaned but I wait to rebed till the wet spot is dry or put down some lime.

Right now my set up is a 4-stall barn with all 4 stalls opening to paddocks. I rarely shut the horses in for much longer than to eat unless the weather is really vile. I only have 2 horses so the horses have day time turnout stalls and night time turnout stalls so the wet spots have plenty of time to dry. About the only time I have to use lime is in very rainy weather where there is so much moisture in the air that the stalls don't dry in 12 hrs.

When I bed the stall I do leave space around the entire edge and bed about 6" deep because the horses will move around enough and spread it out to the walls.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

The barn where I board does this--sweeps the bedding back 3-4 feet from the fronts of the stalls. Supposedly it looks neater and keeps the horses from dragging bedding out of the stall as much when they come out. Within 20 minutes it's all scattered anyhow, so it's a very temporary "look".
    Click here before you buy.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I bed the center of my 12 x 12 stalls, essentially the middle 10 x 10. No bedding on the aisle side under the water buckets and grain feeder, so 2 feet in from the door/buckets. I feed hay in the back right corner (in a feeder), so I also sweep back the bedding there about 2 feet. The left back corner is the Dutch door, so I keep the bedding back there, too, so it doesn't get dragged out to the overhang. I use pelleted bedding, wetted to a fluffy 3-4" deep, over mats. This system is keeps bedding where it is needed, saves me time, and, since I have geldings, they pee in the middle and poop along the edges, so it makes cleaning a snap. They both lie down, and it keeps the hay (mostly) out of the bedding.

The barn I board my other horse at does this as well, sweeping away from the front (water, grain, hay) and from the back slider door to the attached paddocks, thus keeping the majority of the bedding in the stall where it's needed.

Really, not that unusual IME. For photos in a real estate ad, it also lets the viewer see the mats and it is neat and clean looking.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

"Both barns I work at sweep the shavings about 2-3 feet back from the front of the stall. It helps keep the shavings from being dragged out of the stall when the horse goes out. It helps keep the hay from being mixed into the bedding."

This^

It's common to sweep it away from the door. Stalls here are bedded deeply in the center , lightly on the sides with fresh bedding, which becomes tomorrow's deep center.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I keep the shavings away from the stall door/dutch door, and away from the area where hay is given. I don't like getting hay mixed in with the shavings... and keeping it away from the doors keeps it from being dragged out as much.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    The barn where I board does this--sweeps the bedding back 3-4 feet from the fronts of the stalls. Supposedly it looks neater and keeps the horses from dragging bedding out of the stall as much when they come out. Within 20 minutes it's all scattered anyhow, so it's a very temporary "look".
    Temporary look is right Deltawave. I do like CalvinCrowe and bed the center and leave at least 18"-24" of bare mat exposed all the way around and within no time whatsoever they have managed to spread it just about everywhere. My guys both pull beddding out when I bring them into the aisle to groom even if they are just in the stalls for 5 minutes and it's been pulled back from the door. My one horse also makes sure overnight that he leaves at least one pile of manure just at stall door opening so when I open the door to give him breakfast or dinner, I have to maneuver around it.
    Sue

If it is a real estate advertisement, could they be sweeping the shavings back to show the stall floor?

FWIW, I sweep my shavings back from the door as well. Keeps the shavings from coming out with the horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I also sweep the bedding back about 3'-4' from the door to keep the bedding out of the hay and to keep the aisle a bit cleaner. This is how my family has always done it and I've honestly never thought of doing it any other way.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My 2 have In-Out privileges, so I not only sweep back about 1' from the door to the aisle, but another 1-2' back from the Dutch door at the back of the stalls so they don't drag bedding out to the paddock.

I have to keep up sweeping these spaces daily, as they lie down at night or for noontime naps and the bedding gets pushed out into my cleared areas.

For my messy haydunker I also have a "placemat" of rubber roofing material under his hay pile on the ground and another under his grain bucket as he is also a messy eater. They form a T so his dripping hay doesn't soak that corner and he Hoovers all the dropped grain up from the mat.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by ridethehide View Post
    Both barns I work at sweep the shavings about 2-3 feet back from the front of the stall. It helps keep the shavings from being dragged out of the stall when the horse goes out. It helps keep the hay from being mixed into the bedding.
    This is why we do it at the barn I work at...less hay waste, and when the horses flip over their grain tubs, they eat it off the mat instead of eating it with shavings. By the morning, the whole stall is covered in shavings.

Ok, it's no big deal to sweep the shavings back 2-3' BUT if any of you read what I posted, the shavings are ONLY bedding the back 1/2 of a stall. If a stall is 12' x 12' that means the shavings are 6' back. In other words 2-3 times what most of you are sweeping back.

To be honest, in the real estate ad, I think it looks terrible. Either bed the stall completely and deep (for the pictures only) or have the stall completely empty showing the mat. JMHO

I sweep completely around all 4 edges because I have 2 stall doors, one the paddock and one to the aisle and most of the time, my horses have pushed some shavings out one or both doors, especially when I bring the horses into the aisle. I also bed about 6"deep so I expect the horses will drag some shavings out either door.
    Sue