The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Great american trail horse sale

I watched the trail competition and parade of sale horses yesterday at the Virginia Horse Center

Some of the the sellers are very creative writers. One horse described as a husband horse, almost spun its rider off and the announcer had to ask the crowd not to clap after it competed. Another rider couldn't get her "hunter" horse to walk over a tiny and not imposing log. Another horse, described as the perfect horse for anything, kept flipping her head most of the way around the ring.

There were some lovely, well- schooled horses, but after seeing the husband horse spin, that was enough to re-convince me you buy the seller along with the horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

I love your phrase, "buy the seller along with the horse".

I guess a sale is a sale is a sale when it comes to horses. Still a crap shoot.

Are there many in attendance? I am curious as to how the prices will go, as everybody else is.

Are you just looking, have your eye on horse, or do you have a horse in the sale? Anything you can't live with out?

Tell us more on the sale when you can.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not going back, because even though Ive re convinced myself that you buy the seller with the horse, Im still an idiot. I don't trust myself to hold true to my convictions!

As stated, there were some lovely horses there. But it is impossible to translate how they do in an arena to how they will do in the trail, despite the assurances by EVERY seller I talked to who assured me their horse was as close to bombproof as an animal can be. Hmmmmm

Plus, some of the horses had dulled, bordering on dazed looks in their eyes. Probably they were just tired, because they'd been ridden by a million tire kickers. But probably is not really good enough for me.

There were lots of people in the stands last night.

AND......not ONE helmet on anyone, including all the little kids riding. That's just wrong.

2 members found this post helpful.