The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

At this point, I'm part of a pile-on, but sometimes people need an intervention. Something else in the OP's own words (unrelated to mats or a 2 hour trial):

OP, from your blog on April 1: "He continues to be lame with no end in sight.... Two circles of the arena at the walk and it was obvious he was not going to work out of it. In fact he started to feel worse, not better. Took him back into the barn and he was obviously uncomfortable just standing there. Felt really bad because I had no bute at the barn. While I don't like buting very often, last night he just looked miserable. When I went to pick up his right foot to give him is durasole treatment he just about fell on top of me. That made my back feel really good. Not." (Bolding mine).

From a post on April 8th in the Western Forum: "His issue is that he gets really hollow, head goes up, back goes down.... Tonight I rode him in spurs for the first time to see if a little more refinement with the ques would do anything. Discovered that he has flying lead changes! No improvement with the asking for him to lift his back though. Worked for a good 45 minutes with this before we were both getting frustrated and decided to end with some lateral work and call it good. We were both very sweaty!"

If what you say is true -- A WEEK after a horse is dead f'ing lame (with no real diagnosis in hand), you are putting him through, not a light ride, but a heavy-duty workout -- you either are not knowledgeable enough to have full care of a horse or you are blinding yourself to the fact that this is terrible horsemanship. Sorry, this is NOT "excellent care".

If you are grossly exaggerating his lameness and/or the amount of work you are doing with him, please stop posting and try to figure out why you want to get attention this way.

I truly sympathize with the loss of your horse, and your posts indicate that you are sad and frustrated. I really hope that you will start to feel better, but stepping away from horses for a bit sounds like a good idea. I wish you well.

11 members found this post helpful.

Holy crap. Poor horse.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

6 members found this post helpful.

I had posted on your other thread regarding this gelding's lameness, not realizing the magnitude of all of your other threads. Then I took the time to read your blog. So, here's my opinion, take it or leave it (and seeing how you have responded to all of these other well meaning folks, I can only guess what you will do...)

Bottom line: this horse is in your custody and you are obligated to provide care for him. Regardless of how you are feeling over the loss of your mare (which, I am truly sorry. We all know how heartbreaking that is), you took this animal on. It is YOUR responsibility to do right by him. Right now, that means providing the proper level of care until you can GIVE him to someone more capable and with the heart to do so. I say GIVE, because your horse has had an unspecified lameness problem, one you have not addressed, so do not know the severity of. You should not be SELLING him to any potential buyers, as you do not truly know the soundness of this horse. It is unethical and unfair to do anything other then full disclosure here.(and, I believe you were also given this horse for free. Turning a profit should be secondary to ensuring this animal has a good home with proper care).

I truly believe you have gotten yourself in a situation where you are way in over your head. Your blog posts very clearly show that, while you may have been perfectly able to care for a 19 year old mare with a gentle personality, you are no where near at a skill level to handle a younger, more spirited animal. You contradict yourself from post to post. You very clearly are afraid of this gelding, which is exacerbating the problem. You appear to lack the basic knowledge in fundamental horse care. I would also venture to guess that the 'loping issue' you are having with him, if not based on a physical problem with the horse (i.e., lameness) is more likely due to your riding abilities.

Admitting some of these things to yourself takes a level of maturity that I hope you are able to reach. Because, at the end of the day, it's not about your ego. It's about the horse.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by UlysMom View Post
    I truly believe you have gotten yourself in a situation where you are way in over your head. Your blog posts very clearly show that, while you may have been perfectly able to care for a 19 year old mare with a gentle personality, you are no where near at a skill level to handle a younger, more spirited animal. You contradict yourself from post to post. You very clearly are afraid of this gelding, which is exacerbating the problem. You appear to lack the basic knowledge in fundamental horse care. I would also venture to guess that the 'loping issue' you are having with him, if not based on a physical problem with the horse (i.e., lameness) is more likely due to your riding abilities.
    Yes. Exactly. And this is not the fault of the horse. He doesn't look like a particularly difficult animal to me based on the videos, but I may be wrong. He also might be acting up because he is IN PAIN and is being poorly managed.

Additionally, the horse still looks foot sore in the recent videos I have seen, and that is probably part of the reason he is "hollow." A bilaterally footsore horse will not necessarily "limp," but that doesn't mean he isn't sore. And, heck, what horse would not be sore from standing on concrete constantly?

8 members found this post helpful.

Ok, OP, I vote that you quit horses. In fact, I vote that you quit animals. It's not a matter of "holier than thou," as cothers help others, including by sending money as well as by giving advice. Cothers try to help out people. Until we find out that we've been lied to. Then we get mad. Because we don't want this horse to end up with permanent lameness. he's dead meat then.
    The issue is that it appears that you are not doing what is best for this horse. Sell him, give him away, quit horses. Cody deserves better. I hope he gets a new owner who will help him get, and stay, sound. Cody appears, from the videos, to have something wrong both in fore hooves and in his back or hip area.

Damn you people are intense. You really know how to kick people when they're down

1 members found this post helpful.

I think if you read all the threads the OP opened, you will see that people are tired of her inconsistencies and not taking anyones advise including a vet and farrier. I think it is a sad situation.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger'sDelight13 View Post
    Damn you people are intense. You really know how to kick people when they're down
    Should we just tra la la, pretend that we agree that there is just *nothing* that can be done to help the situation and tell the OP how sorry we feel for her that she got herself, *yet again* into a mess that impacts the well being of a horse?

11 members found this post helpful.

Oh like she's the first nutty horse person out there! She's clearly struggling emotionally. If everyone is so worried about the state of this horse then maybe someone should offer to take it off her hands.

It could ALWAYS be worse. The horse could be starving and malnourished while left to die a painful death in a field somewhere. While I don't doubt she's a little cra-cra all this "OMG you're so crazy" is just keeping threads like these alive.

Reminds me of the George Carlin skit.... "A crazy man has boarded himself into his home and nobody is paying ANY attention to him....."

You know, everyone has been quick to offer "help" with their advice, but is there anyone local who would be willing to help the OP out? I know several COTHers local to me that I have helped out, or vice versa. Surely there is someone nearby who could help the OP get some mats, or visit the horse in person and make sure he's doing ok, or recommend a farrier or shoer?

Heck, even someone NOT local who could offer up some actual ACTION instead of harsh words.

ETA: I know that sometimes people (myself included) get a little overwhelmed with a situation that gets out of control too fast. Maybe someone can offer a little hand holding rather than a back stabbing?

(Yes, I admit that I have been rolling my eyes at the OP - but I'm now worried that the situation spiraled out of control for her and she's not sure how to address it.)

(I am also giving the side-eye to someone selling a horse they were given for free, but whatevs.)

3 members found this post helpful.

I actually looked at the OP's location to see where she is, because, yes, I agree that it would be great if someone local could just move the mats for her. It should not be difficult for the OP to handle on her own, but if she needs help, then it WOULD be nice if someone would offer it. I'm not in the same state as the OP and therefore can't do it myself, or I definitely would.

The problem with this particular OP is that, even if someone DOES take this horse off her hands, she is just going to go out and get ANOTHER one and find herself in either this same mess again or some new, equally disasterous mess.

It's very frustrating to watch. She seems to take no personal responsibility for anything, and makes snap decisions at the drop of a hat over and over again. That kind of crap is SO tough on horses.

Fine Already you're what's RIGHT with this board. Just so you know. You give me warm fuzzies that maybe there are nice people on here that want to help instead of just pass judgement.

Although one of my horse besties did come from COTH so......

Quote Originally Posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
    Oh like she's the first nutty horse person out there! She's clearly struggling emotionally. If everyone is so worried about the state of this horse then maybe someone should offer to take it off her hands.
    I'll take him! I think he's a cutie!
    And the OP just sounds young and sad, not in a place to have a horse right now.

OP, you've gotten some very kind and patient responses.

I think we've all felt frustrated with our horses at times, overwhelmed, drained, etc. I sympathize and so does everyone else.

However, in reading your blog (and I suggest everyone does who feels as though the OP is getting "judged"), it is obvious that you miss your mare (Skye), Cody was a free horse that you never wanted, you feel quite put upon by him, and you're not treating him with the care he deserves.

He's quite long backed, something you knew when you looked at him. He was skinny when you got him and now (according to some of your descriptions), he's "high", hot and not all together sound.

I read comments in your blog that, quite frankly, make my heart hurt for this paint gelding who never asked you to take him on. Your comments in your blog, such as "well, since it looks like he's not going anywhere anytime soon" and "I feel zero emotional attachment to him" and "I stare angrily at the gas gauge as it goes down as I make the drive to the barn", etc. make it evident that he is not a match for you and you should have never taken him on, free or not.

It's great to realize when you and your new horse are not a match. Move him on to someone who will love and want him for who he is. That is not what people are upset about. That's a mature decision to make and a good one!

Read the following exact quote from your blog. It does not reflect the occasional bad day with Cody, it is reflective of how you felt about him even before you got him (and you knew even before you took him that you didn't like him).
    I feel trapped. Nobody is going to want a horse like him in his current state. I didn't really want him in the first place, and any time I have to deal with his BS it is a big slap in the face to remind me what a really good horse Skye was. At this point I really, really want out from under this whole mess.
    You didn't want him in the first place??!! This poor horse. You bought tickets to Rolex and have a hotel booked (according to your blog). If you have the money to do that (and super! Rolex is an amazing experience!!), then surely you have the resources to treat your horse with all proper care and see him through to his next home.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    You know, everyone has been quick to offer "help" with their advice, but is there anyone local who would be willing to help the OP out? I know several COTHers local to me that I have helped out, or vice versa. Surely there is someone nearby who could help the OP get some mats, or visit the horse in person and make sure he's doing ok, or recommend a farrier or shoer?

Heck, even someone NOT local who could offer up some actual ACTION instead of harsh words.

ETA: I know that sometimes people (myself included) get a little overwhelmed with a situation that gets out of control too fast. Maybe someone can offer a little hand holding rather than a back stabbing?

(Yes, I admit that I have been rolling my eyes at the OP - but I'm now worried that the situation spiraled out of control for her and she's not sure how to address it.)

(I am also giving the side-eye to someone selling a horse they were given for free, but whatevs.)
    I asked her several times what part of Michigan she lives in and she never replied. If she was fairly local to me I have a jeep Grand Cherokee that I am sure the mats would slide into.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

5 members found this post helpful.

Great post, Carolina.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

2 members found this post helpful.

AUGGGHHHHHHH! I just read the blog post from today.

I just...

WAY too much is being asked of this horse following a very recent (and probably unresolved) lameness, and it is plainly being asked by someone who doesn't have the necessary skill set to deal with him. Someone who can't feel what lead they are on should NOT be working on flying lead changes, amongst other things.

Additionally, I find this: "He was testing me pretty good towards the middle of our ride, when I would stop him he would start flying backwards" pretty upsetting. HE IS PROBABLY IN PAIN. That's not really a normal reaction from a horse.

9 members found this post helpful.

In all seriousness, can someone upgrade this horse?

I grew up in MI. I'm currently asking my old horse friends there if they need a new horse. They'd buy him, of course.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow. Just wow. Read the blog entry and it is evident to me this young lady needs some guidance, a solidly educated horse person to mentor her. Now, if it were me, I would be using my cash reserves to make sure my horse was sound and maybe pay a trainer to get him 'more sellable' (is that how she phrased it?), rather than planning a trip to Rolex. The best thing the OP can do for this guy is to get him into a different situation with a new owner. Maybe if she looked at the investment in the horse as a means to an end to the stress this is causing her, it might seem more feasible.

Now, if I had an extra $600-800/month and a husband who wouldn't divorce me if I took on a project pony, I'd take him, get him evaluated by both vet and trainers, figure out what his 'issues' truly are, then set about a plan to finding a new future for him with a owner more suited to his needs. Anyone near the OP able to step in and help her (and, more importantly..him) by mentoring, or have a spot in their barn he could vacation? :-)

2 members found this post helpful.