The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but couldn't you strap the mats to the top of your fiesta? maybe use pool noodles or even a blanket to protect the paint, get a few ratchet straps, roll down the windows and loop the straps through. Its a little hillbilly, but as long as you stay off major highways, it might do the trick.

I think your current situation is the best if you can address the stall issue.

3 members found this post helpful.

I would move him to your friend's house and get him off those concrete floors. I ran a co-op in a barn with concrete floors back in the 1980s, before we even knew about mats as an option where I lived. We bedded very thick and the horses were out from dawn til dusk, but I never liked it for flooring.

If you move your horse to your friend's place, if he doesn't sell right away, at least he'll be in a nice arrangement with plenty of t/o and other horses which beats standing on concrete for 18 hours a day. You'll have a place to ride and a 45 minute drive isn't all that bad. I drive an hour 4 days a week to to be with my horse but it's worth it because the boarding arrangement is the best for his needs. If you have a good book on tape or good music, it's not bad at all. Good luck with your decision.

2 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I used to work at a place in the UK which had hard stone floors. It was a very old & well known/respected with highest BHS ratings riding centre. They used very thick straw bedding. The horses were fine and not one of ~20 was lame from it. Having said that, if you cannot address the issue with more appropriate bedding or mats, I would probably move to #3. I cannot see sawdust/shavings ever being ok for concrete - it would have to be extremely thick. No turnout is not fair for your horse, which rules out #2 unless she can do a geldings only turnout for him. It may be worth asking as lots of barns separate mares and geldings - all the ones I've ridden/boarded at recently do.

As for selling him, as I said, I really don't think you should advertise a lame horse anyway because how do you plan to show him to potential buyers? If he were mine I'd move him to place #3 if you cant sort out the bedding at current place and give him time to truly be sound, get him fit again, then think about advertising.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

I don' know where you live but where I am I've matted my horse's stall twice since the barn rather skimped on shavings and floors were concrete - but horses did have lots of turnout.. I got pretty much standard type mats I think 4'x6' and for the stall size I think I had to get 4 mats @ $34 per mat. had mine delivered w/ the feed and there is no way I could've strapped them on my car and gotten them off - heavy and cumbersome..If your horse is having some soundness issues, then I'd take him to #3 for sure =- but depending on what the soundness issue is.. did that require him to be kept up for awhile, is more turnout what he needs or not You need to find out what's in his best interest for full recovery.. If more turnout will help his recovery then by all means option 3, if he should have less turnout keep him at barn 1 and invest in decent quality stall mats - pay extra to have them delivered or shipped to your barn w/ BM ok ( not sure why they wouldn't ok but need to check w/ them as courtesy) I would completely rule out barn 2

18 hours in a stall? Is that what the vet recommended? That's an awfully long time to be in a stall every day. I would think that turnout would be beneficial for him but I don't know what the vet's final diagnosis and prescribed protocol is.

Does barn 1 offer pasture turnout? Or paddock turnout 24/7?

No way would 2 be an option. Barn 1 would definitely need mats. Uhauls rent for about 19.00 day.

Barn 1 does offer pasture board, however pasture board does not include feeding grain, and he needs grain to get his supplements. I asked the BO and she was very black and white about it, either he is on stall board and gets grain or he is on pasture board and gets no grain which would mean no supplements. I can't be there every day twice a day to feed him myself either.

There was never a vet involved, that is how the barn operates. They turn out between 9 and 10 and bring them in around 4. I do believe that getting him off the concrete would help him a lot. He is however sound right now. Thankfully he didn't lose any condition, and he can sit for a couple of weeks and be the same horse after. I started putting the word out about him before he went lame. I have kind of known for a while now that this wasn't going to work out, but that's a long story.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I've managed to put a stall mat in a dodge omni. I'm sure if you really wanted to you could figure out how to get some stall mats to your horse. It sounds like you don't want to work too hard.

5 members found this post helpful.

I see you've chosen to expand on the issue with your other thread.

Moving to option #3 might be the best for both of you right now.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default It's like a 'sauna'

I'm confused because on April 1st on your other thread about iodine on hooves, you pos

Still lame as lame can be 11 days later. Put an epsom salt poultice on him last night and wrapped both feet in a diaper just in case it is in fact an abscess. Also going to start buting him at night so that he can hopefully be a little more comfortable while standing in his stall which is mats over concrete. Also going to buy extra shavings to hopefully make it softer.ted this:

Did the BO remove the mats, as clearly stated in April 1st or do I have the timeline wrong?
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

4 members found this post helpful.

My mare's stall is also concrete but bedded with at least a foot and a half of straw. Also she is out from 8 30 till 7 pm right now and will be out 24/7 starting next month when the temperatures rise. No ill effect from the concrete. But they really do not skimp on straw.
    I would also go to no. 3. I travel more than 30 min. to the barn 3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    I've managed to put a stall mat in a dodge omni. I'm sure if you really wanted to you could figure out how to get some stall mats to your horse. It sounds like you don't want to work too hard.
    Oh there was no lack of try. One of the workers at TSC and I tried for 15 minutes to get those stupid mats into my car.
    The Blog

So... As per the quote off of the other thread , you state the horse is on rubber mats. I'm confused.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Barn 1 does offer pasture board, however pasture board does not include feeding grain, and he needs grain to get his supplements. I asked the BO and she was very black and white about it, either he is on stall board and gets grain or he is on pasture board and gets no grain which would mean no supplements. I can't be there every day twice a day to feed him myself either.

There was never a vet involved, that is how the barn operates. They turn out between 9 and 10 and bring them in around 4. I do believe that getting him off the concrete would help him a lot. He is however sound right now. Thankfully he didn't lose any condition, and he can sit for a couple of weeks and be the same horse after. I started putting the word out about him before he went lame. I have kind of known for a while now that this wasn't going to work out, but that's a long story.
    Yes, I'm confused as well. On your other thread about this horse, you stated that he had seen a vet. That's why I asked if the vet had said that keeping this horse in a stall with a concrete floor for 18 hours a day was the recommended treatment for him. I would guess "no", but that's why I was asking what the vet had said.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Yes, I'm confused as well. On your other thread about this horse, you stated that he had seen a vet. That's why I asked if the vet had said that keeping this horse in a stall with a concrete floor for 18 hours a day was the recommended treatment for him. I would guess "no", but that's why I was asking what the vet had said.
    He never saw the vet, and I am pretty sure I never said that. I was told by the farrier that any further lameness issues were a vet issue after he lamed my horse. I was going to have a vet out but both times he made an appointment he had emergencies and I had to cancel. Horse is now sound so I have not re-made the appointment.
    The Blog

You can rent a truck at Home Depot. Just FYI.

I'm confused as well, I read your blog and you say he is on Stall mats over the cement.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

Who would buy a lame horse?

6 members found this post helpful.

Well here is another 2 cents... sounds like barn 1 isn't going to provide what it sounds like your horse needs, however, its closer..barn 3 sounds like it has everything that your horse needs but is 30 - 45 minutes away. for me it's a no brainer, horse first, mileage 2nd

Oh boy.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

5 members found this post helpful.