The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Boarding dilemma

Board is due next Wednesday and I need to decide what I am going to do. I have three options: keep him there, move him back home, or move to a friend's house.

I currently have him boarded at a big barn with three outdoor arenas, an indoor, hay fields to ride around, and a cross country course. The major thing that I like about this place is that Cody gained a lot of the weight that he needed while there as they feed a lot of hay every day. I also like having the arena access. The major downside to me is that they spend at least 18 hours a day standing on concrete in their stalls. There are no mats and they put down just barely enough saw dust to soak up any wetness. I was providing my own shavings for a little bit but I couldn't seem to get them to understand to just pick the poo and wet stuff, not strip the whole stall every single day. They were stripping the whole stall and it was just going to be too expensive. I am concerned that him standing on concrete for so many hours a day is slowing his healing process after the farrier disaster. It's $300 there.

I could move him "home" to my neighbors place. He was there for a month before I moved him to the barn with the indoor. He seemed generally happier there. The big plus about there is that it is next door, and that I can trail ride on my own farm whenever I want. The downsides are that she feeds a lot less hay. I also had to constantly be filling water buckets while my mare was there, she only does stalls a couple times a week, she also wouldn't be able to provide Cody the individual turn out that he needs due to his mare mounting issue. She and I have however become really good friends and I am afraid that if I move him anywhere else I may offend her and lose that relationship. There really isn't anywhere to ride at her place other than in a pasture or on my farm. It's $250 a month.

Option number three is moving him to a friend's house. The major downfall there is that it is 45 minutes away. She however would be able to turn Cody out individually or with one other horse, she feeds round bales so he would have a lot of hay access, she has an indoor, and is pretty much drama free. She is constantly trailering to a couple of different state parks to trail ride as she lives right in the middle of trail riding country, so he would get some trail experience, and its fun. Her interests closely mirror mine. It's $180 and would have to provide my own grain.

Here is the major issue, Cody is for sale. If I moved him to my friend's house that would be his third home in three months, and if he sells that would be barn number four. Doesn't seem very fair to him. However, I think I will be a lot happier at my friend's house. Not really sure which direction I should go, leave him where he is, move him back home, or to the place where I would be happier?
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Can you just buy your own stall matt? Seems like if he is for sale you would get more exposure at the place you are.
    Standing on cement is not good.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

9 members found this post helpful.

^^^^this. But- if its such a nice facility- what about 30 days notice? Contract? If board is due Wed?
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Board is due next Wednesday and I need to decide what I am going to do. I have three options: keep him there, move him back home, or move to a friend's house.

I currently have him boarded at a big barn with three outdoor arenas, an indoor, hay fields to ride around, and a cross country course. The major thing that I like about this place is that Cody gained a lot of the weight that he needed while there as they feed a lot of hay every day. I also like having the arena access. The major downside to me is that they spend at least 18 hours a day standing on concrete in their stalls. There are no mats and they put down just barely enough saw dust to soak up any wetness. I was providing my own shavings for a little bit but I couldn't seem to get them to understand to just pick the poo and wet stuff, not strip the whole stall every single day. They were stripping the whole stall and it was just going to be too expensive. I am concerned that him standing on concrete for so many hours a day is slowing his healing process after the farrier disaster. It's $300 there.

I could move him "home" to my neighbors place. He was there for a month before I moved him to the barn with the indoor. He seemed generally happier there. The big plus about there is that it is next door, and that I can trail ride on my own farm whenever I want. The downsides are that she feeds a lot less hay. I also had to constantly be filling water buckets while my mare was there, she only does stalls a couple times a week, she also wouldn't be able to provide Cody the individual turn out that he needs due to his mare mounting issue. She and I have however become really good friends and I am afraid that if I move him anywhere else I may offend her and lose that relationship. There really isn't anywhere to ride at her place other than in a pasture or on my farm. It's $250 a month.

Option number three is moving him to a friend's house. The major downfall there is that it is 45 minutes away. She however would be able to turn Cody out individually or with one other horse, she feeds round bales so he would have a lot of hay access, she has an indoor, and is pretty much drama free. She is constantly trailering to a couple of different state parks to trail ride as she lives right in the middle of trail riding country, so he would get some trail experience, and its fun. Her interests closely mirror mine. It's $180 and would have to provide my own grain.

Here is the major issue, Cody is for sale. If I moved him to my friend's house that would be his third home in three months, and if he sells that would be barn number four. Doesn't seem very fair to him. However, I think I will be a lot happier at my friend's house. Not really sure which direction I should go, leave him where he is, move him back home, or to the place where I would be happier?
    The original.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

5 members found this post helpful.

Is there any way that YOU could buy rubber mats for you boy's stall? I think everything about the first place except the concrete floor is better. Maybe talk it over with the BO- that you could sell the mats to them when you finally do sell your horse- or you can take them with you or sell them to another boarder.

Although I think concrete floors should be matted as a matter of course- if the farm doesn't do it that way and you agreed to it- I don't think that means you have to live with it forever- you do what you have to to make your horse comfortable. Leaving isn't the only way to fix the problem.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I would buy a stall mat and keep him at current place. Also, I wouldn't be trying to sell him while he is lame.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

12 members found this post helpful.

I don't even think mats on concrete make concrete OK unless there is a LOT of bedding. Certainly not for 18 hours a day. That place would be unacceptable to me.

Option 3 sounds like the only real option with quality horse-care standards so that is what I would do.

4 members found this post helpful.

This is the very lame horse standing on concrete? I just hope you have deep bedding in there.

That's a long time for any horse on concrete. The one concrete overflow stall I've used I matted with a double layer of stall mats and deep bedding.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

I would go with option #3 as that sounds like the best for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

We actually appear to be in an upward swing with the soundness since Thursday. The two potential buyers that I have are fully aware of the issue, and I believe he will make a full recovery once his feet toughen up.

There was no contract, just kind of pay as we go. Three of us moved there at the same time and were only going to stay until we got out of mud season, so roughly two months total. One of the women took her horse home last week after a show, so I kind of feel alone. I don't know anybody there other than kind of knowing the other girl, and any attempt to introduce myself has kind of been met with coldness.

I have been wanting to get new mats for my trailer for a while now, and now for the stall, but my truck did not winter very well. Two flat tires and a dead battery! There is no way mats will fit my little Ford Fiesta, and I have been trying to ask friends and family to borrow a truck for a while now without much response. That is why I went with the extra bedding, but that kind of back fired. No way can I afford $150 worth of shavings a week! Going to keep trying to get mats though.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    This is the very lame horse standing on concrete? I just hope you have deep bedding in there.

That's a long time for any horse on concrete. The one concrete overflow stall I've used I matted with a double layer of stall mats and deep bedding.
    As stated in my original post, they do not put down a lot of shavings, which is an issue for me. I tried to provide my own but it proved too cost prohibitive.
    The Blog

[QUOTE=Skyedragon;6926290]Board is due next Wednesday and I need to decide what I am going to do. I have three options: keep him there, move him back home, or move to a friend's house.

I hope you mean that you have the option to give the current barn your 30 day notice and you did not mean that you would move him the day before your board is due.

Would the barn allow you to pay extra monthly for them to give extra shavings? Or, you could buy rubber mats (about $300 around here) and when your horse sells see if the barn will buy them from you or sell them on CL. The place you are at sounds nice.

Most of the care at this facility seems good. You need to put your own mats down. Could you tell them you would like to clean your own stall?

Another thought... These interested buyers may not want to drive an additional hour to go see a lame horse. It would depend on how much they like him I guess but 45 min + is a long haul depending where they were already driving to. May make them just move on and, again, you are selling a lame horse so any interested buyer is a god send.

I don't know how number two is even an option if she can't provide him the individual turnout he needs? So what, he would be in a stall 24 hours a day, instead of 18?

He appears sound at this point, actually. Hoping that the issues are behind us.

Number 2 I am not really sure what she plans to do. She was talking about putting up more fence this weekend.

As for the 30 day notice, when we moved to this barn it was under the agreement that we would only be staying a month, maybe two. We agreed to a pay month by month situation.
    The Blog

You should be able to fit one mat at a time in your little car. It may have to hang out but bring some ties/hay twine. It might mean 4 trips.

1 members found this post helpful.

For me it would not even be a difficult decision; I would go with option #3. If people want to look at a horse, a 45-minute drive is nothing.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    You should be able to fit one mat at a time in your little car. It may have to hang out but bring some ties/hay twine. It might mean 4 trips.
    One mat doesn't even fit. Have you ever seen a Fiesta? The driver barely fits!
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SharonA View Post
    For me it would not even be a difficult decision; I would go with option #3. If people want to look at a horse, a 45-minute drive is nothing.
    I am thinking really hard on it. If it takes longer to sell then I think I would be happier there long term.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    One mat doesn't even fit. Have you ever seen a Fiesta? The driver barely fits!
    rent a uhaul for a day and get them, and a load of extra shavings.

Seems to me all your options involve you paying for something, whether mats and extra bedding, extra hay, or GAS.
    All things being equal- with the nice arenas, buyers and his fatness... I would buy mats and bedding, ask if he can get more turnout... and be happy with that.

9 members found this post helpful.