The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jason Meduna - back in jail. (remember the horrors at 3-Strikes ranch?)

TORRINGTON, Wyo. — A former Morrill County rancher convicted in perhaps the worst horse abuse case in western Nebraska is back in jail.

Goshen County authorities arrested Jason Meduna, 46, for parole violation. The man, convicted in January 2010 on 145 counts of cruel neglect of an animal and ordered not to possess any animals for a period of 30 years, had been found by a probation official to be in possession of animals, including horses, Capt. Bryan Morehouse, of the Goshen County Sheriff’s Department told the Star-Herald.
    http://www.starherald.com/news/local...a4bcf887a.html

oops

figured nobody would care?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We care. I am so glad he is back in jail and he is SOOO typical of the hoarder who goes RIGHT BACK OUT AND GETS MORE ANIMALS. That case was one of the worst I've ever seen or even read of.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't recall hearing about it in the first place. What was the story? Cliff notes, anyone?
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timex View Post
    I don't recall hearing about it in the first place. What was the story? Cliff notes, anyone?
    made a big to do about how he was the second coming of some sort for the poor horses, wooed the ladies with his way...

then a bunch of starved and dead animals were found on his marvelous sanctuary property....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yeah he had a really nice piece of property in the sand hills (note SAND) and he kept taking in these mustangs and he had around 300 of them and of course in short order they turned the grassy hills into sand DUNES. He kept some up close to the house that were merely starving. The dead ones were scattered over the property, many in piles and pits. He started to bury them and guess he got side tracked. I think he did bury them because I don't think all the known horses were accounted for but I don't remember for sure. The neighbors blew the whistle (repeatedly) and finally the BLM came and took back the only horse they still had the title to and word got out.

He definitely was one of those smooth talkers that some people fall for because he seems so EARNEST and such a GOOD GUY. Turns out he had previously starved to death a whole herd of cattle in another state! I believe the whole sad story was reported on Fugly (which appears to be gone now along with the archives) and probably on ABR (don't think the archives go back that far but I don't know, haven't been there in a couple of years) But you might find it by searching google, I'm sure other boards talked about it.

Yeah there is still plenty of stuff out there about him:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Jaso...hrome&ie=UTF-8

This news made my day.

I'm not entirely sure of this, but all of the mustangs that he took in (the hundreds of them) were all "three strike" mustangs (not adopted after three tries). I'm thinking that he got paid by the BLM to take them, but not positive. After one batch would starve to death he would get another bunch from the BLM.

There were literally piles of carcasses out in the property, hundreds of dead horses stacked like cordwood.

Oh, and there was another mustang "rescuer" guy from Texas who kept insisting that Jason was framed and was the victim of an evil plot. It had all the makings of a soap opera except that the subject was so terribly sicko.
    Last edited by betonbill; Apr. 6, 2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: adding info

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    After one batch would starve to death he would get another bunch from the BLM.
    Nobody from the BLM wondered what happened to the last truckload?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Thanks RDR for this piece of news... I wish he could stay in jail forever!

http://www.habitatforhorses.org/conv...b_source=pubv1

and Habitat was there!

1 members found this post helpful.

If this had happened in another state from the one he was convicted in...can a ruling in one state about owning animals apply in others?

I don't think I have read of a cruelty case where the ban was as long as his (THIRTY!). More should be so.

My understanding is that the 30 year ban was overturned on appeal but that "no animals" is a condition of his parole.