The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Default Who would you breed this mare to?

Hi All,

I currently own a 12 y/o Oldenburg Mare (http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inde...all_font=1&l=) and am thinking about breeding her in the near distant future.

She's 17hh and quite leggy,is a great mover and has a good mind. She's a great hunter but has also shown in the jumper ring quite extensively as well. While not a hot horse, she is able to carry some pace and has a large stride.

Main area that I would like to improve upon is scope (she's not completely lacking, but tops out around 1.20-1.30m) and would like a little more expressiveness from the hind end.

Ideally, offspring would be geared toward the jumper ring.

Conformation (she's not normally so bum-high, picture is on a slight incline): http://www.judgemyride.net/wp-conten...09/photo21.jpg

Jumping: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...41020704_n.jpg

I've never bred a horse before, so I'm a pretty big noob with this whole thing. Let me know if you need other information in order to make a good suggestion. Budget is not a big factor at this point.

I basically just want some input from those with far more experience and knowledge than me - if this was your horse and you were breeding to try and produce a high quality jumper prospect, what would you do?
    Last edited by goodlife; Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: fixed breeding link

I really have no experience with jumpers but I can tell you this: you always want to pick a stallion that compliments your mare. All horses have flaws of one kind or another, the best you can do is make a note of the things you wish your mare was stronger in and pick a stallion who shows strength in those areas and who doesn't have any other very obvious flaws. Hopefully the foal will get each parents strengths

Really lovely mare. Do you know her damline?

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    Really lovely mare. Do you know her damline?
    I don't unfortunately, other than her Damsire being Phantast.

Bon Balou shows a lot of scope and has really nice hock action. Viva Voltaire would also give you scope and gaits - so long as you don't mind doubling up on the Furioso blood. :-) Couleur Rouge and Couleur Rubin may also top my list - I like a sire with Grannus in there pedigree when looking for both gaits and jumping ability. ;-) Banderas also carries Grannus blood and has scope to spare.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysabel View Post
    Bon Balou shows a lot of scope and has really nice hock action. Viva Voltaire would also give you scope and gaits - so long as you don't mind doubling up on the Furioso blood. :-) Couleur Rouge and Couleur Rubin may also top my list - I like a sire with Grannus in there pedigree when looking for both gaits and jumping ability. ;-) Banderas also carries Grannus blood and has scope to spare.
    Thanks so much! Between this and some PMs, I've got quite a few nice stallions to drool over.

Pretty mare. BTW, do you have the correct pedigree linked? That particular one indicates a grey mare.

Not to offend you at all, but I don't think that I would breed her. Her neck is tied in very low and her hind end is weak and built quite downhill.

In my experience, you'd need to find an extremely prepotent stallion to improve her. There are some out there, but not all of them. I've always found in most situations the mare is a bigger part of the breeding equation. And clearly, why the Euros revere the dams when it comes to breeding.

You can't expect a stallion to fix her conformational challenges, of which she has a few. Not just one.

If I were in your shoes, would just enjoy her and perhaps spend the $$ you would,r going the breeding rout, for a youngster who would better fit your criteria for what you want (and you'll get to where you want to be competitively faster since you don't have to wait for a foal and then raise it...

These are hard choices, but objectively, since you asked? I would not breed her, despite her bloodlines. You have to look at what is in front of you...not rely too much on bloodlines when you are breeding. The mare must be really stellar in every way -- especially conformationally, her way of going, her attitude to be considered breeding material. At least for me.

Best,

Susan

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Not to offend you at all, but I don't think that I would breed her. Her neck is tied in very low and her hind end is weak and built quite downhill.

In my experience, you'd need to find an extremely prepotent stallion to improve her. There are some out there, but not all of them. I've always found in most situations the mare is a bigger part of the breeding equation. And clearly, why the Euros revere the dams when it comes to breeding.

You can't expect a stallion to fix her conformational challenges, of which she has a few. Not just one.

If I were in your shoes, would just enjoy her and perhaps spend the $$ you would,r going the breeding rout, for a youngster who would better fit your criteria for what you want (and you'll get to where you want to be competitively faster since you don't have to wait for a foal and then raise it...

These are hard choices, but objectively, since you asked? I would not breed her, despite her bloodlines. You have to look at what is in front of you...not rely too much on bloodlines when you are breeding. The mare must be really stellar in every way -- especially conformationally, her way of going, her attitude to be considered breeding material. At least for me.

Best,

Susan
    Thanks for the feedback. Just trying to understand better what deems her to be so conformationally flawed other than the neck/weak hind end (your observations that you listed). I've had her evaluated by some pretty knowledgeable people and they've all praised her conformation and quality. Perhaps my picture that I posted doesn't depict her in her best light?

I'm not meaning to argue with you at all - just trying to understand further what would make her a bad choice for breeding. I've posted a video and more pictures below for reference:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...16369908_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtfBlHkal6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0eX7c2HM7g

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnybren View Post
    Pretty mare. BTW, do you have the correct pedigree linked? That particular one indicates a grey mare.
    Fixed the pedigree. Not sure where that grey mare came from - the parents listed on that one were the same as the ones listed for my horse, which is incorrect as my horse was that mare's first foal and that stallion died shortly after her birth and had no frozen semen.

She looks like a big mare. I'd look at Goodtimes. He puts on a nice shoulder and really strong hind end.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Gaits View Post
    She looks like a big mare. I'd look at Goodtimes. He puts on a nice shoulder and really strong hind end.

Kathy
    Thank you for the suggestion. She definitely isn't small. Love the hind end on Goodtimes.

She's lovely in the video. I would breed her for a hunter prospect with scope (i.e. a jumper-bred hunter sire) since she's such a nice hunter..... Then the baby could be multi-marketable as that kind of horse can go in the jumpers as well. Cunningham? Apiro? Cabardino?

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    She's lovely in the video. I would breed her for a hunter prospect with scope (i.e. a jumper-bred hunter sire) since she's such a nice hunter..... Then the baby could be multi-marketable as that kind of horse can go in the jumpers as well. Cunningham? Apiro? Cabardino?
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've shown against Cabardino so I'm pretty familiar with him but I will look up the other two.