The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

If the fitter gives you problems go straight to the main office! Send them a nice email and just let them know you ordered a buffalo saddle, and got something that is stiffer and not textured, as a buffalo saddle would be. Let them know you'd like the buffalo - like they have in all their custom demo saddles. I just saw their van at a show (granted, different region then you are in, but same company) and all the saddles are regular, textured buffalo leather. I'll try to ask them today if they are changing their buffalo leather!

Custom Saddlery is known for their generous trial and return policies - if they have a rep that is going against company policy, then that rep needs to be reported to the company so she gets some training! It is one of the main reasons I do business w/ them - they have a reasonable return policy and work toward customer satisfaction
    Last edited by MysticOakRanch; Apr. 6, 2013 at 04:32 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I went through this last year with a different saddle company. I was sent not one, but TWO saddles ordered semi-custom that were not what I ordered. The tack store, never resolved it, or even reasonably tried to for that matter. The saddle company didn't even respond to me. Hell, I didn't even get an actual apology.

I've had to come to peace with it for myself, because for a while, every time I went to ride, I'd get all mad about it. But it still stings, so do what you need to do to get what you want.

Oreo, I'm sorry! I'm glad you're at peace with it, and I appreciate your encouraging me to see this through.

Thanks to everyone for responding - private messages too! I'm learning a lot. Mystic, I'll be interested to see what you find out today!

Here's my take at this point. It is a beautiful saddle, no question. It may truly be buffalo. And this buffalo may be even better than the textured buffalo. But it's not what I ordered. Thanks, 2tempe, for pointing out the website descriptions...I had briefly looked at it last night but not in the depth you did. There are clearly "plain" and "buffalo" examples of leather. I thought they were referring to cow as plain, but still... the big difference is noted here in this description of the Constanze:

ll soft, supple buffalo with an extremely grippy
    textured buffalo on the skirts and flaps giving an
    instant broken-in feeling standard with silver
    stitching

which is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It clearly states in their description "extremely grippy textured buffalo...giving an instant broken-in feeling." The saddle I have is NOT extremely grippy textured buffalo. It may be buffalo, but it's not the extremely grippy textured buffalo. It is plain buffalo, and that is not how it is advertised or described on the website.

Based on that, my plan is this. I'm going to ride in it today to see how it feels, and then I will contact fitter, who is still in the area through this afternoon. If I'm not satisfied, I will give this saddle back and get my cow Constanze back so that I have something to ride in until Custom makes me what I want.

It's like giving back a Christmas present .
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

A website that sells buffalo hides. You can see the difference in the hides (and their prices) Look under 'Saddle'.

http://buffaloleatherstore.com/santa-fe/

My Hennig Buffalo saddle looks more like the 'Heritage' and the 'Navajo Tan' type of leather and really not like the 'Santa Fe' I think you are looking for. My saddle has the nicest/grippiest/smoothest leather I've ever seen on the market.

Give it a try.

You could always ask for a reduced price or something in compensation for the disagrement if the saddle fits you and your horse perfectly otherwise.

Have a good ride!

1 members found this post helpful.

Is posting about a new saddle like a challenge to the saddle gods to mess up the order, just to put us in our place?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Is posting about a new saddle like a challenge to the saddle gods to mess up the order, just to put us in our place?
    Never heard of the 'custom order' devils?

Just sign here at the bottom of the custom order...

Alibi, thanks for this and your other message! I'd like to take you up on your offer to send me a close-up pic of your leather if you get a chance.

The website you sent shows exactly what I'm looking for. I compared this saddle's leather to the ones on the site - including Heritage and Navajo - and the more I look at it, the more it doesn't look like any of these. Custom site states that it is Asian Water Buffalo. I think I should ask for the DNA of the animal used.

Mine feels smooth and slidy and stiff. Not sticky and soft. Not grippy. I'm going to ride in it today and see what I think. Rode yesterday but just for a few mins to check fit.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Lol Bristol! I will never (ha!) post my excitement again until the fat lady has sung . Now tell me the karma dance I have to do to straighten this out!!

I did have an incredibly bad image in my mind yesterday when out to dinner...I was 99.9% sure that I closed my bedroom door (where the saddle was) to separate my sweet, innocent, wonderful leather-loving Labrador from it...can you imagine coming home to a destroyed new saddle that you didn't like but now clearly were stuck with? The teethmarks probably would have added texture, don't you think??

Your card will not be charged until you authorize us to do so, or if the saddle is not returned. At the end of the trial period you will need to notify us of your intention so we may process your sale. Weather and horses can be unpredictable. Give us a call if you need to extend the trial period.
    http://mysaddle.com/SERVICES.html

If you don't want to keep the saddle, don't ride in it. Just return it to the rep and e-mail them that you don't want them to charge your credit card. There is no reason to think that this will blow up into a huge problem but you want a clear, written paper trail in case it does.

You may also want to contact your credit card company (after you have notified Custom of your intentions to return the saddle). Describe to them the conditions under which you ordered the saddle (the trial and return policy), that you are returning the saddle and the Custom does not have authorization to charge your credit card. Be sure to do this clearly and in writing.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Thanks - yes - I did this so far (told them not to charge my card).

Can you send the flying monkeys my way?

I had no idea that so many people have problems with their custom/semi-custom (any brand) saddles... and I thought the hard part was deciding which one to get!!

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    and I thought the hard part was deciding which one to get!!
    Mouhahahahahahahahaha!

Wait till you want some 'custom' boots, bridle, jacket, trunk, blankets, name it...

OMG I can't imagine!! I buy a lot of my clothes at a consignment shop (a very nice one!) now...horsie gets all the good stuff!!!

I do still have the saddle pad I bought him with his name embroidered on it...and the Dutch Warmblood symbol thing...and then I found out that he really wasn't a Dutch Warmblood!

Luckily (or unluckily) my budget will ONLY allow such purchases every once in a while, so I'm hoping to keep the drama down to a minimum!

Wait, did you say custom BRIDLE?? :wink grin:

I did have my eyes on one of those bracelets or rings you can have made with the tail hair set into a channel...
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Apr. 6, 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: left out an important word!

I hope that this is resolved to your satisfaction. I've been very lucky and the only custom (semi) saddle that I bought new was delivered as ordered.

All the rest of my saddles have been new or demos as I feel it's safer to buy a saddle that I have already ridden in.

I know that the majority of people probably get saddles that work for them but the minority who don't post some pretty amazing tales.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    I had no idea that so many people have problems with their custom/semi-custom (any brand) saddles... and I thought the hard part was deciding which one to get!!
    OMG, you have no idea! I have lived through so many stories with friends of mine. Custom saddles that DON'T even come close to fitting - one saddle maker (name not mentioned, but it isn't Custom) has scarred (yes SCARRED) two horses' backs - the saddles fit that badly. And it happened fast! One friend paid for "refittings" at least 6 times (at $250/pop) before she gave up and dumped the saddle. One friend walked away from the 2nd refitting ($200/pop plus she had to haul to one of his fitting clinics) - the saddle was bouncing - air time - when he trotted! And the saddle fitter said it fit fine. The horror stories are pretty common. And some saddle companies won't let you return the saddle - you order it, you buy it. Custom saddle doesn't always mean it fits. Read the fine print before you hand over your credit card!

Custom boots - well, that is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Thanks! First thing - I need to clarify that above I stated that "my budget WILL allow purchases every once in a while" ...I left out the world ONLY . So it should read that my budget will ONLY allow purchases every once in a while, so the drama should be kept to a minimum. I'm happy with my consignment store field boots that hopefully will last for a few years! (Then we'll talk, Mystic!!)

Fitter texted that was coming to barn this afternoon, which was unexpected and very nice. Fitter showed me three of the same model (Constanze), all in buffalo, and all looked different, honestly. There were some that had more of the deep textured lines look, and another halfway between mine and the deep textured lines. Fitter offered me any of the three. I had the opportunity to compare feel, softness, stickiness, etc.

Fitter also said that the date stamp on my saddle is wrong and that we can tell from the serial number - which I believe based on the order numbers of other saddles and serial numbers.

Fitter wanted me to be happy but explained that this is buffalo, just different.

Based on some private messages about other people's buffalo leather appearance and quality (THANK YOU) I received, I believe this to be true. I had a chance to compare them against each other and feel them side by side, etc. I actually really like the one that was shipped to me. Doesn't look like I expected, but it's gorgeous. I rode in the one that was delivered to me, and all was fine. (Except that I became totally overheated and had to get off horse - no more afternoon rides in the Arizona weather until fall for me.)

I explained to fitter that it just was very different than I expected, but that I wanted to think about it.

It reminds me, in a very, very MINOR way, of one of my favorite essays called "Welcome to Holland," which is near to my heart. Yes, it isn't what I expected, but it just "is." And unlike in other situations such as in Welcome to Holland, I DO have a choice in this, which would be to return the saddle. Just knowing that I have the choice to do so gives me the freedom to fall in love with THIS saddle, which I just may decide to do in the next 24 hours. It's like a piece of advice that mvp gave me in another thread about fear and owning the decision-making piece. Sometimes just knowing that we have choices frees us to make choices rather than feel backed into a corner.

Enough philosophizing about a d&mn saddle. Clearly the heat got to me today. I'm feeling very grateful to have such a wonderful horse, situation for horse, trainer, and the ability to scrimp and save in order to have a great saddle as well.

Oh, and today trainer taught me how to use draw reins for a few minutes in hopes that I will be able to learn to feel him get rounder faster without my hands working busily. It takes me quite a while to get him round, and then I'm left with a horse who is probably frustrated with me. He doesn't need them with trainer - I'm of course the problem. And I'm working on it! But wow, when he was round, wow. And then I spent an hour hanging out with him in his stall, which has to be the best part of my day .

Who's tagline is it (paraphrasing) that you can change your horse, saddle, etc., but you have to change yourself? I'm on it!! My goal for this week after I make the saddle decision is to get rounder faster and work on feeling more comfortable with...um...increased horsepower.

And anyone who likes hunter green and navy, wants a hunter saddle pad, has a Dutch WB, and wants to change horse's name to my non Dutch WB horse's barn name is welcome to have my saddle pad .

FWIW, I stopped by the Custom booth today - they had unloaded all their saddles and some of them are different looking leather I felt the "pitted" leather and it feels stiffer, not as broke in. I didn't like it as much - wonder how it breaks in? One of the nice benefits of the old style buffalo - it was instantly broken in...

Didn't get a chance to talk to anyone - they were too busy. Darn, I hope they aren't switching to this type of leather...

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Darn, I hope they aren't switching to this type of leather...
    I doubt they are "switching", I suspect most of it comes down to market availability & pricing.

right horse at the right time go ahead & ride in the saddle, CS is pretty insistent that you actually give the saddle a go before deciding yay or nay

Mystic, thanks for looking at them; at least I know I'm not going crazy! I was promised to the end of the earth that it would break in just as soft as the other buffalo...

Alto, thanks! So far so good but the whole breaking in thing is my concern. I'm over the looks...

Default Excellent customer service...

Talked to Custom this morning and I believe they are really making this right. Could not have been nicer. Big kudos to fitter and Custom! Will update once we decide final outcome.

Thanks to everyone for the support, advice, and for sharing experiences!

Default Update; opinions welcomed (I know we have them!)...

For a variety of reasons, I'm not going to keep the saddle. I'm not happy with it.

I do need a saddle. I have ready access to Albion, Amerigo, and Lovett & Ricketts (sp?). Thoughts? I had no interest in going through this (again)...

1/2 TB, roughly 1/2 Perch. withers. Can't remember the term...but has longer distance from top of shoulder (some kind of dip?) to lowest point of back? I'm totally messing that up but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. his shoulder needs to move. I have long legs, long femurs especially. Current saddle is 18 but is very small. other saddles appear to be 17 or 17.5. I have no cares in the world about what number I am. I liked the long roll but at this point I'm starting over.

I won't say cost is unimportant...but fit to horse and me is more important. I don't care about the buffalo. I just want something that will be great for my sweet boy and for me, and that can be adjusted easily by someone as he grows his top line.

I guess I can take some pics tomorrow.
    AARRRGGGGHHHHHH