The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Got another question. Is there a date stamp on the Customs?
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

I'd be willing to bet the saddle you got is not buffalo leather. If your fitter says it is, she's handing you a line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

My saddle is at the barn and I won't be out until tomorrow. I know it has a serial number on it. Not sure about the date. I had a hard time getting the fit right on mine - I had them out multiple times in the first year trying to get it right. I am probably due for another re-fit but I'm just using a saddle pad with shims for now. Those trips out are expensive as is the refit work! If you don't mind the leather, you can always see if they can refund your dough but I really do love the buffalo leather.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

I have an older Custom VLX with buffalo. Like everyone else said, it has lines and feels almost sueded. There is an option for Vienna leather, what does your receipt say?

Good news is I believe Customs have a pretty generous trial period (no obligation)
    http://mysaddle.com/SERVICES.html
    When I bought mine they were pretty good about things.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

receipt says wolfgang constanze dressage saddle in buffalo 18/2/lr...no vienna option...

nhwr, does yours have a date stamp?

I think that even if it IS buffalo, it's not what I wanted when I ordered it, so I will call fitter tonight and see what we need to do. I do really want the other leather. I just do. It is softer, and I like it better. I just do. It's just too much money to not be totally in love with it. I bought the constanze in the cowhide and have been riding in it since November, so it's not like I'm trying to return it...just get what I want.

Sad. I don't like conflict. I'm not worried about waiting for a new saddle, just don't like conflict and people to be unhappy. Including myself

THANK you all for helping. I realize that this isn't life or death, really, and I am still very grateful that I was able to buy a nice saddle that fits me and horse. But if it is custom, it needs to be custom.

Mystic, what did you end up getting? I don't remember...
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Apr. 8, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

idk if mine has a date stamp, never looked and it's at the barn so I can't check right now.

Stop minimzing your concerns and don't look at this as a conflict. There is a no obligation policy which means you are not obliged to accept the saddle if it isn't what you like. You are paying for that service. Just put on your big girl panties and tell the rep you specifically wanted the nice soft, supple buffalo with an extremely grippy textured buffalo on the skirts and flaps. That's how the saddle is described on their web site and evidently what they showed you when you were trying their saddles
    It probably won't be the first time they have had a saddle sent back. And putting different panels and flaps on isn't really a big deal.

That does not look like buffalo to me. I'd call and say it is not what you wanted or expected, and push back on that being a different section of hide.

Thanks to both of you . I put on my big girl panties last Sunday when I rode in our first dressage test, and I can do it tonight, too. Thanks for the welcomed kick in the pants .

If I learned that the saddle was made last year, and wasn't made custom for me and horse, should I have a problem with that?

Yes, I'd have a problem with that for sure!

It's ok to get mad. Get what you want
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Custom Saddlery saddles are either off the shelf, semi custom or full custom. It sounds to me as though, you got the semi-custom Wolfgang Constanze, correct?
    http://mysaddle.com/WolfgangConstanze.html
    Semi-custom is what most people order. That's what mine is.

These saddle are made (tree and seat) and inventoried, then flaps are sized, positioned and attached to the rider's specs and the panels stuffed to fit the horse when you place an order. So I wouldn't expect that the whole saddle was made to order for you unless you selected the full custom option. Those saddles are usually well over $5K.

Got it. I didn't realize there was a semi custom and custom, so yes, it looks like I bought the semi custom.

Got it - so if what I'm looking at is a date stamp from last year, then that would be the flap date it was made.

Actually...wait. That can't be right for the stamp - because the serial number would have to go with the whole saddle, right? So they couldn't issue the serial number AND the date stamp AND stamp the seat size and flap length on the flap until they actually made the entire saddle, right?

Mine has a date stamp, if that's what it is, of March, 2012, along with the serial number and the flap and seat size.

I will ask saddle fitter when I call. But the bottom line is that this isn't exactly what I want, so I will get exactly what I want and stop worrying about hurting people's feelings or being a pain in the a$$. Or at least I will try

And again, thanks for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.

I have a Solo in buffalo and it doesn't look like yours. However that saddle is gorgeous! However if it isn't what your ordered or want then send it back.

Don't feel weird about expressing your concerns. That is way too much money for anything less than perfect. And this isn't a small thing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ok this is getting ugly. Lovely.

Not that I have any experience whatsoever with stuff like this, but good luck!

And make sure you get what you want.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

You don't have to "get mad" or have "conflict."

Just have a conversation:
    "I was expecting the buffalo leather to have the lines as pictured."
    And then, whatever the rep says, "But still, I was expecting it to arrive as pictured."

Just be reasonable and steadfast.

So the conversation wasn't what I would have expected, but I remained steadfast like meup and others suggested and like any reasonable adult would do.

Looks like I will get my former saddle back this morning and call custom on Monday. fitter doesn't think that custom will help me as states it is just a difference in hide and that all of the saddles look like this now.

Now I'm pretty irritated. It's not what I ordered. I wish custom was open today. Thanks for the great advice, will let you know the outcome. Maybe I will start a bareback thread .

Boy, that really stinks. Hopefully the company will be more professional than the fitter and give you the saddle you chose and paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Maybe I will start a bareback thread .
    Oh please don't.

Good for you! I agree with the others; that sure doesn't look like Buffalo to me. At that price, you deserve to get what you want. Good luck and hope it goes well for you!

I just looked at their website; Every saddle description says "buffalo leather" but they don't all look textured like we all think Buffalo leather is. But then on the saddle care page, they differentiate between care of "buffalo leather" and care of "smooth" leather. Then on the Options page, if you scroll down, they seem to differentiate between Buffalo and Plain leathers.
    So OP, hang tough. But I will say, those saddles all look lovely; I've been a County girl for years, but would love to sit in one of these!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........