The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default pics posted - ANOTHER update - need feedback on saddles. sigh.

Last post contains link to pics (poorly taken, by me )
    Update in last post. Thanks

GOOD UPDATE: See last post. Custom and fitter are doing what I think is the right thing. Will update once we decide. But I'm very happy they're working with me.

For those of you with Customs, or who know about these things, what is the variation in leather? Does all buffalo look the same, generally, soft with all of the lines in it in no particular pattern?

feeling like a brat with a first world problem, but...

I can hardly contain myself! Whee!!

And now I'm COMPLETELY broke and will have to put horsie on a restricted treat diet for budgetary reasons.

Please tell me that aside from monthly expenses, vet bills, farrier bills, etc., I'm DONE with the capital expenses. PLEASE.

Whee!!!! Can't wait to sit in it!
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Apr. 14, 2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: update

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh the expenses never end! That's part of the appeal

Please post pictures or at the very least describe it well for us
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

What did ya get?
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

There is always something to buy! Your horse will probably get a new wardrobe more consistently than you do, mine does
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Love that feeling! I was in your shoes a month ago when, after 13 long weeks of waiting, my County Perfection arrived!! It truly is Saddle Nirvana!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I guess a retirement account will have to take second priority...kidding! (well, not really)

I know you're all guffawing when I say that he can't possibly need anything else .

I got the Custom Saddlery Wolfgang Constanz. I posted on this board and had some very good advice. I tried so hard to save money and buy used, and I tried lots of saddles. I tried to talk myself into the Solo, as I could find that for tons less... but in reality, the Constanz was the clear winner. It was the one that the fitter had originally recommended but I wanted to explore all of my options.

I've had the calf one since November but this is the buffalo...no fancy crystals or patent leather...but I'm so excited!!

Just got a text from fitter - he'll be there in 40 minutes! Early!! I will post pics this afternoon

YAY!!

Ramen noodles for dinner for the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzodm View Post
    There is always something to buy! Your horse will probably get a new wardrobe more consistently than you do, mine does
    For sure! I think I've bought clothes for myself twice in the past 6 months. And even then, one trip was to get a few cheap t-shirts to ride in. You'll always find something your horse needs/should have.

OP, can't wait to hear what you got!

Ha! And YAY! I did the same thing about 2 years ago, I got a Custom, too. I haven't regretted it too much but it was way more than I ever wanted to spend The shock will wear off soon enough and you'll just be delighted!

I can't figure this posting thing out. Update: *******update. For those of you with Customs, or who know about these things, what is the variation in leather? Does all buffalo look the same, generally, soft with all of the lines in it in no particular pattern?

feeling like a brat with a first world problem, but...

IMO you don't buy buffalo for looks but rather for durability and the softness/grippiness. I have a friend who has a custom buffalo wolfgang something or other, and imo the leather does not look nice at all. But it wears like iron and is comfy to ride in so...

What are you not liking about yours? Am guessing saddle got there and does not quite look like you expected?

Also just out of curiousity what makes the Wolfgang Solo Constanze different from the regular Wolfgang Solo that you didn't like as well? They kind of look the same on Custom's website.

perceptive

It's beautiful. Don't get me wrong. It is very comfortable and I love the grippy seat.

Edited: Arabiansrock: you're right; I did buy for those reasons. And the leather doesn't seem like it's that soft grippy leather I loved.

It looks nothing like any of the Custom buffalo saddles I've ever seen. The leather looks completely different - more like cowhide. It is a tiny, tiny pock marked pattern rather than the bigger textured with lines pattern. The flaps are nowhere near as soft and bendable.

The difference between the Solo and the Constanze, from what I could feel (and I'm not an expert!):

1. The Solo is bigger - twist is not as narrow. I have fairly small hips from the inside, so in the Constanze I don't feel like my legs are pulled apart, and I'm less perched. My legs hang down straighter.

2. Seems like the Solo's flaps are longer from front to back.

3. I felt much more connected to horse in the Constanze. I can "feel" more in it. I can feel him in it.

4. The seat doesn't feel quite as deep. It feels perfect to me.

edited again! 5. It has a different tree - not wood. "polyflex." maybe a gimmick, but I feel my horse more in this saddle for whatever reason.

I tried all of the Customs and some other brands. This one was by far the one I felt the most "at home" in. I feel like I'm riding horse, not a saddle on horse. I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Apr. 8, 2013 at 01:01 PM.

your leather description sounds a lot like Memal leather. That is why my saddle is, it basically kind of looks like de feathered skin, little dots where a "feather" would have been. All the buffalo I have seen has lines. I would question the rep asap, and specifically call out that the buffalo doesn't look like any buffalo you have seen! My friends Custom buffalo saddle has quite deep lines in hte leather.

If the Constanze has a different tree then that would totally explain how it feels so different. Wonder why they didn't give it a diff name than Wolfgang Solo tho?

anyway, its a lot of money, don't accept something that isn't what you ordered.

Yeah, my buffalo leather has lines - though it is an Albion not Custom. You need to contact the fitter to make sure that it is what you ordered and paid for. I know Customs Saddlery is awfully swamped with orders and I have heard more than one mistakes (wrong saddles delivered to the wrong customers, etc).

I have a Smith Worthington buffalo, and it's just as the others described - thicker, soft, grippy leather, with random lines.

Can you post a photo?

My Custom is an Icon Flight and has buffalo leather. It's definitely got lines, not pock marked. It was soft and grippy right from the start. Not sure if there are different 'types' of buffalo but if that's what you ordered, I'd make darn sure that's what you got. Mine is a monoflap so maybe that is one difference??

well, crap. Fitter was out today and I asked...said it was just a different piece of leather with variation. Fitter has been great. Don't want to knock fitter at all. Perhaps the order did just get screwed up. Good to know that there have been errors.

OK: here is a photo of mine. Please excuse the unmade bed.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/ri...tml?sort=3&o=0

I can't figure out how to post the pic from the website of the saddle I thought I bought, but here is the link:

http://www.mysaddle.com/wolfConstanzeLarge.html.

Hey, thanks, you all. I was thinking that I was being a total brat and this was a normal variation. But it isn't, is it. It looks entirely different.

Luckily, the rest is fine I hope!!

Yeah, all the buffalo I've seen has been deeply textured too. I also love the Constanze - it is really close contact. I think we are similar in build - narrow hips, longer leg - and finding the right saddle is important!

The flex tree is interesting - if you put your hand under the saddle as your horse is walking, you can feel the give and take of the tree. There is an FEI trainer in this region that won't use anything except the flex tree saddles, he swears the horses go so much better in them.

I think all the "C" line saddles (Constanze, Coda, etc) have the flextree. So within the Wolfgang line, they have a few different models - Solo, Constanze, Expression. Solo and Constanze are two different models within the same line of saddles - if that makes sense?

If the saddle doesn't fit/ride right - Custom has a very lenient return policy - let them know you wanted the buffalo style leather, this leather isn't soft or comfy, and I'm guessing you can get another saddle?

Yours looks to have a bit of a sheen to it. The buffalo leather on mine has never had a sheen to it, really. More of a dull look. I don't think that looks like the same leather as the one on the website.

Sorry but that does not look like buffalo to me. I would call them back asap and say uh uh, not what I wanted. Not what I ordered.

Sigh. How do I have this conversation. And I need to get my other saddle back.

I don't like conflict. But this was a lot of money for me.

1 members found this post helpful.