The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Whoopsie!! Abler/Omeprazole Fraud Issue

So.... I wanted to try the Abler Omeprazole. Unfortunately, the country the cc# is processed thru was rejected. (Blocked Country.) That's fine, I can pay by online check, etc. EXCEPT the next day, my credit union called me and said another charge for the same amount was attempting to process from Nigeria.

So, that card is cancelled, but maybe the cheapo transaction thru Abler alerted some fraudsters? Anyhow, heads up on that. I don't buy much online, but I have purchased a few horsey items from ebay, the standard veterinary supply houses, tack catalogs, etc. This is the first time I got a wing-ding off of an internet purchase.

I am guessing the Vanuatu processing route is a part of the problem?

My CU said the country wasn't on their blocked list, but they held up my first charge as it appeared suspicious. Fair enough. The second time I ordered, it came through no issues, but I did give my CU a head's up that it was coming.

Wierd that its on the blocked list. Must be every CU or bank is different?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I don't doubt that. And I wasn't totally surprised when there was an issue the first time. But this second time, I don' know if Abler tried to run the # thru another country (oh yeah, Nigeria) or if the # was somehow stolen.

Worth being vigilant about, but CC fraud is often from numbers simply being stolen.
    Click here before you buy.

Am I right to guess though, that it is more likely from a company like Abler than from, say, Dover, Smart Pak, PayPal, etc?

My Cc company has a virtual number generator which I use religiously for all online purchases. It's a virtual number tied to my account and is good for 1 transaction. You can steal that all you want - wont do any good.

2 members found this post helpful.

ooohh cool. Abler says their server is secure and they have never been hacked.

What do you expect them to say?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

I haven't purchased from there but we use credit cards for online purchases at work and I can't tell you how many times we have had to get new cards due to fraudulent charges.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Yep - twice in about 3 years my card was hacked. Since moving to using the virtual numbers, not a single peep in 4+ years now.

Just this past Christmas both my discover and debit card numbers were stolen. The only place I had both of those on record was Amazon. Both my bank and discover caught them right away but it was still a huge inconvenience. Now I only keep my discover on file.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Oooo, I never, ever allow any site to store my CC info. I even hate it when I order something and part of the order is back-ordered and they don't charge until they ship, which means they will keep the info on hand until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    ooohh cool. Abler says their server is secure and they have never been hacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    What do you expect them to say?
    *snort*

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Oooo, I never, ever allow any site to store my CC info. I even hate it when I order something and part of the order is back-ordered and they don't charge until they ship, which means they will keep the info on hand until then.
    THis also inspired the same laugh from me as above, and for the same reason!

What on earth makes you think that any or all sites do not store your credit card info on some level? Just because a site doesn't do automatic charging or doesn't store your credit card on file on your user account, where you can see it, sure doesn't mean that they don't keep it! Or that it isn't accessible to hackers or, more likely, a random unethical employee.

Hey, my own employer has a policy that explicitly states that we won't keep credit card info on fie, even if a client requests it, but nothing keeps me or them from stealing and keeping every single credit card number and all the other security info. The people read it off to me over the phone when they make payments, for goodness sakes, so I don't even have to be high tech to do it! Think about it!