The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How is the drive from Lexington,Ky to Lexington, Va?

Thinking of heading to Virginia Horse Trials in May. We would be leaving from the Lexington, Ky area and wanted to know how bad of a drive is it? Thanks!
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Not bad at all. It gets a little twisty through the mountains of West Virginia-- heed the 50mph warning signs in the curves. It's about a 6-hr drive, give or take a few, depending on your stops.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Agree. Quite a bit of terrain, so be sure your truck and trailer are road ready (including brakes). Agree with 6 hours, but plan for 7 and be pleasantly surprised.

The good news is that the entire route is quite lightly traveled, totally different than heading out on I-75. I-64 to Charleston is really nice. A bit of traffic in Charleston at 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., but nothing like Cincinnati. Charleston to Beckley is quite curvy and charges tolls. Beckley to Sam Black is kinda cool, then you cross a big range of mountains into Virginia. Lexington, VA, sits at the base of those mountains. You actually pass (and can see) the VA horse park from I-64 just before you exit.

As hauls go, a pretty easy one as long as your truck is appropriate for your trailer.

1 members found this post helpful.

How is it in relation to hauling up Jellico Mtn in TN?
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

There are more hills than going south on 75; however, none of them are as big and long as Jellico. It can be a bit more taxing going east vs south...as you only have about 2 hrs of mountains from Corbin to Knoxville, whereas you'll have about 4 hours of smaller mountains to climb/descend from Ashland eastward. It's a pretty good climb crossing the New River gorge, but I still think Jellico is longer.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Sandstone mt in WV is long and curvy steep grade. Is a 7. Or is that 7%? Steeper than Afton on the other side of Lex

Tolls are $2 per car. Can't recall if different for trailers. Prob is more. There are only 2

Speed trap in SW Va section of I-64. They hang out in a really remote area I've been nabbed heading west.

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    It's a pretty good climb crossing the New River gorge, but I still think Jellico is longer.
    You will not cross the New River Gorge per say. You will cross the new river. But the gorge is actually crossed on rte 19. You do go over the New River near Meadow Creek/ Sandstone.

Edited to say. My bad you do cross the new river park at sandstone... And sandstone mt is the big haul. 7 miles of 7% grade. But what we like to call "The Big Ditch" is actually crossed on rye 19 to the north
    Last edited by NRB; Apr. 6, 2013 at 06:23 PM.