The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Temple only requires 95% of horses to be knocked insensible by the bolt or firearm. That means she is okay with 5 out of every 100 horses needing additional impacts or shots.
    The rara sisterhood likes to cite Grandin's work, but they have difficulty accepting her emotionless stats. Temple can't relate to the sisterhood's 'poor little pony' emotional rollercoaster.
    Grandin also has no problem processing wild mustangs, she just advises the processors to adjust a couple things due to their flight instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Ye gods. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. If this is the kind of scumbags you pro-slaughter people want to jump into bed with, have at it, but leave the rest of us OUT of it please.
    I am sorry to inform you, but this is what happens when ill thought out regulations are put in place.

And no, it's not the pro slaughter who caused this. Not by a long shot.

Now, being dumped in an undignified way does not mean the horse was now by default tortured to death either...

But I have to agree, the scenario is rather grotesque and surreal.
    And no, I don't think anybody condones dumping anything in a manner that threatens the environment and the community in this fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    I know of one track that had to relax it's policy on taking horses directly to slaughter because of all the dead horses in the river bottom with their upper lips cut off. It was creating a public health hazard. The policy is still there, but not enforced at all.
    This sounds like a track that should consider shutting down if it is so inundated with such unethical owners. If your only two options for what to do after your racehorses are no longer useful is slaughter or disposing in a river with its lip cut off, you need to reconsider your business plan. Or your business. Of course, I am reading "all the dead horses" as dozens upon dozens, not just one or two from one random jerk. Are there any news stories on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I am sorry to inform you, but this is what happens when ill thought out regulations are put in place.
    Actually - if it happened - its what happens when race horse owners are poor business planners, unethical, and don't give a crap about their community or the environment.

I'm not going to argue the ethics of slaughter vs. euthanasia and proper disposal here, but if slaughter is taken away by legislation, race horse owners should have a business plan to properly deal with their horses after their usefulness if over. If they are living so hand to mouth to not be able to afford proper disposal or breeding/buying a horse quality enough for a second career, perhaps they should rethink their career plan.

2 members found this post helpful.

So many quotes from individuals who "disappear" when they are asked to provide dates of their last inspection tour of a slaughter plant.

Most of the posters have never been to Canada let alone a slaughter plant..

Therefore all that can be stated is the recycling of your old old old information.

I do not deny some plants were terrible, brutal and should have been shut down
    I do not deny that back alley abortions are terrible, brutal and should have been shut down.

We have evolved from the standard of the 1950-1970's when horses were for dog food and fox meat..

I heard the story about horses in rivers with lips cut off...Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, New York state etc and yet..never was EVIDENCE provided.

Dead bodies in consumable water would have caused a national scandal even decades ago...so..where is the story?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Dead bodies in consumable water would have caused a national scandal even decades ago...so..where is the story?
    I am not going to search for it, but quite a few pictures were provided showing a waterway a Canadian slaughter plant used to dump carcasses. The area was stained in red. IIRC, this was two years ago.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

That is of course one point to consider.
    1200 pounds rotting flesh in the water does usually cause concern...let alone several....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Skyking,

Auction=Slaughter because the rescue groups and hsus et al have worked very, very hard and craftily to make everyone believe that. This whole scam of going to the auction house and 'rescuing' a poor unfortunate horse from slaughter is the modus orperandi of most of the rescues. It is how they pay the mortgage on their farms, pay for the farrier, and even the diapers on their babies! It's how they invest in the 401-k retirement plans! The smalls have learned from the talls, as hsus and other nationals/internationals have grown outrageously wealthy by pleading for money to intercept a horse on the 'slaughter ride'.
    Your question proves that their deceptions have had an effect.
    7, I'm going to tell you the condensed version of the story of the horse I fed breakfast to this morning, who I rode yesterday for the first time.
    Back in February a good friend told me about a horse that she thought would be good for me. Four days before Christmas, I lost my oldest gelding, and OTTB who I'd had for 18 years.
    I didn't feel ready to look at another horse yet, so I passed.
    The horse got given to a "good" home.
    Sixteen days later, he was shipped to OLEX, which is a fairly large regional auction.
    He sold to slaughter.
    Through a ton of good fortune and hard work by a former owner, he was pulled from the feedlot. I offered him a home if they were able to pull him.
    I picked him up on the day that he was scheduled to be slaughtered - he was brought back to the same auction facility for convenience.
    While I was there, my friends who were trailering us stayed to watch for a while.
    Out of over thirty horses who went through the ring while we were there, THREE were not sold to the meatman. ( am not counting two minis)
    The rest, mostly healthy drafts, standardbreds and saddle horses were shipped.
    Is auction = slaughter? Perhaps not at all auctions, but if what I witnessed is any example, it sure can be.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

7arabians, I'll ask again. Do you have a financial interest in slaughter?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Found this gem while googling 'dead horse in water supply':

My questions is, why did the owner go take care of her elderly mother instead of the ailing horse? How is her mother more important than the horse?
    Again, DO NOT own an animal if you aren't going to put it on the same level or above humans. I'd say above, since humans are the worst species on the planet.
    I sure hope the person spoke with pure sarcasm....

http://www.havasunews.com/news/dead-...=image&photo=0

yes, we have entered a new level of weird!

Alagirl, you can see that on COTH. Go to Menagerie to the thread about the family who needs to rehome the cat because their child is having chemo. Same bizarre reaction from some COTH posters.

So many quotes from individuals who "disappear" when they are asked to provide dates of their last inspection tour of a slaughter plant.

Most of the posters have never been to Canada let alone a slaughter plant..
    Are you jumping conclusions again?
    I hope this time you're wearing your ASTM helmet at least.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Are you jumping conclusions again?
    I hope this time you're wearing your ASTM helmet at least.
    Oh Hi Angela

You always answer a question with a question.

You did confirm you have not been involved with PETA however you have refused to directly state you have never been, are not active with nor have had a HSUS membership.

Most posters have never been to Canada.

I think you should study the travel habits of Americans. They are more apt to travel to Mexico and other "exotic" countries like Hawaii.

So..where did you go in Canada? When was your last trip?
    Which slaughter plant did you inspect or even "drive by"

Dee..auction is NOT against the law. The Canadian Horse Defence are directly involved with HSUS and they are always in the face at that sale.

That is what an auction is about. You were able to purchase or acquire a horse. There is no demand, however, for them to give you special consideration and the fact they did is GREAT., That flies in the face of the posters who are claiming this never happens and only kill buyers are given consideration.

I hope your horse and a great and long life to share with you.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Alagirl, you can see that on COTH. Go to Menagerie to the thread about the family who needs to rehome the cat because their child is having chemo. Same bizarre reaction from some COTH posters.
    And this is in some way comforting?

On the other hand, I was just being reminded of the drive here on COTH to collect some money for real animal welfare, courtesy of the Horse and Donkey Trust for Gambia. The goal was low enough at 333 pounds. Yes, the goal was reached - barely.
    I found it rather disappointing, considering the number of posters alone who claim to be all about animal welfare. But they had no consideration for the creatures with cut tongues and nutritional challenges. With just the ones running their mouths the loudes contributing a few bucks, the total should have surpassed the goal by far.

But I guess it is the actions that separate the spirits.

Ontario racehorses slaughtered for meat – vet says

Posted on November 1, 2012 by canadianhorsedefencecoalition

An equine veterinarian near Windsor, Ont., says thousands of horses have been slaughtered for meat in the wake of Ontario’s decision to end the Slots at Racetracks Program. Mark Biederman estimates 50 per cent of the province’s nearly 4,000 broodmares

Not only did Mark FORGET who this vet was...IT NEVER HAPPENED

Period

In fact..when the rumour circulated (it is true however about the governent cancelling) many major Kentucky farms tried to purchase mares at 100$ each..and were told..go away until you are talking $100,000.

Of course Mark left the story up without any corrections. That is what the defence group does.

They also had a member come on COTH and state she called Europe and spoke with a head of the EU who told her NO MORE SLAUGHTER..isn't that right False Impressions !!!!

On the other hand, I was just being reminded of the drive here on COTH to collect some money for real animal welfare, courtesy of the Horse and Donkey Trust for Gambia. The goal was low enough at 333 pounds. Yes, the goal was reached - barely.
    I found it rather disappointing, considering the number of posters alone who claim to be all about animal welfare. But they had no consideration for the creatures with cut tongues and nutritional challenges. With just the ones running their mouths the loudes contributing a few bucks, the total should have surpassed the goal by far.

So how much do you contribute to animal welfare since you don't have the expenses of owning any horses?

So..where did you go in Canada? When was your last trip?
    Which slaughter plant did you inspect or even "drive by".
    So Leo, when was the last time you followed a slaughter load in the U.S. without you alerting them to the fact first?

Next time you come to KY I will be happy to help you experience (close up and personal) the 'wonderful ways' our horses are treated in the slaughter pipeline.

3 members found this post helpful.

No, it's not at all comforting...just pointing out it happens everywhere.

As far as Gambia, I keep my donations local for many reasons, mostly because I want to make sure my money is being used as promised. That's not to say the Gambia fund raiser is not on the up and up, just that it's not local.

Did any of the sisterhood realize that at the micro-levels that the rara's are testing for bute and other substances, even higher levels can be found in flesh of cadavers in the nyc morgue?
    And now I see they wish to return to the 'horrors of the trip' to the SH as a reason to end all slaughter. For goodness sake, 1/2 of the attendees at Scottsdale, Az, or Columbus, Oh, subject their horses to worse experiences than a quick trip over the border!

7arabians, do you have a financial interest in horse slaughter?

Wait, Is this the same thread? Nope, different title, same conversations.
    Oh God I need to get rid of my wifi .
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.