The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle name plate

I have purchased an engraved name plate for my saddle. The previous owner had one on and removed it and I would like to use the same holes if possible. First time I tried it the plate did not stay on. Any advice?

Does yours have small nails or screws? I'd imagine the previous owner had screws, whereas yours has nails, or the nails/screws she used are bigger than what you have...

Could you move yours ever so slightly so the plate still covers the existing holes but the plate is not too off center? Or if you have a tack store nearby they may have different screws/nails you can use.

I have a number of used saddles and, what I do, if the previous owner had a name plate on it, is to measure the holes and then order a name plate that has the same distance between the holes. I ALWAYS use screws..you might get away with a little nail if you are the first person putting a plate on, but not after that. Nails don't hold well anyway. Make sure your screws are long enough. I've taken a plate and a saddle down to the local hardware store to pick screws, they might need to be a bit longer than what came with the plate to get a good "grab".

Invest in set of jewelers, or computer hardware, screwdrivers, they are tiny enough to work on the little screws you need to set a saddle name plate. They are not expensive.