The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WWYD

So, this will be my first venture into breeding. I'm very excited, and up until this morning I had a game plan. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe the experienced breeders on this forum can help me decide where to go from here.

So, I acquired a mare this last fall with the intention of breeding her this spring. I picked out the stallion (who has excellent fresh semen) and paid the fees and have been waiting anxiously for spring! Along the way I also picked up some frozen semen unexpectedly.

I am very excited for both of these boys because I think they would both be excellent crosses on my mare. The quality of the frozen and the fresh is reportedly excellent-from the research that I have been able to do I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Now, back to the mare.....she is 16 this spring and she has been open for the last three years. Her previous owner also stands her sire, so once he got a beautiful replacement filly out of her (from an outside stallion) he has not bred her since. When I bought her i had a repro check done and she got the green light, all looks good!

so, my question for you breeders out there is: For her first trip back to the breeding shed, considering her age, would you go with fresh this year and 'knock the dust off' or would you use frozen this year and not wait for her to get another year older? Thanks!

I would definitely go with the fresh first to make sure she will indeed take, especially if you have a finite amount of that frozen semen available. You don't want to use up your frozen if you aren't 100% sure she's still going to take.

Another reason to use the fresh is your studfee is probably only good for a limited amount of time (1-3 years) while the frozen is frozen and you can use that at any point in the future--it just may not be on this mare.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

fresh with frozen as a back up if stallion owner or fed ex fails to meet the window of opportunity, as it were

Thanks, I just spoke with my vet and she agrees with you guts about going for fresh this year for the same reasons as above. Phew! I feel better now