The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which Blue Seal feed to use ?

I'm moving my mare to a new farm on May 1st. The new place will feed
    whatever feed I provide. If I set up an account with the local Blue Seal
    dealer, I can have feed delivered directly to the farm as they go there
    anyway. I believe they get a delivery every other week or so.

Currently she is on Strider and Hay stretcher pellets (both Blue Seal products),
    along with a grass/timothy hay mix. In the winter, I add Omegatin (another Blue
    Seal product). This combination has worked well for my easy keeper mare for
    the last 8 years.

At the current farm, there is mininal grass. But at the new farm, she will have quite
    a bit of grass. She's had issues in the past with grass (laminitis), so she will
    be muzzled and we have a plan in place to slowly increase the grass time
    each day over a period of 3 - 4 weeks. I am also hand-grazing her as much as
    I can right now. She's been fine with the muzzle in the past.

So ... I am thinking of trying a low-starch Blue Seal feed for her to offset the
    sugar/starch in the spring grass.

Carb Guard looks good, but Sentinal LS has higher fat - so I can eliminate the Omegatin. I want to keep her on the hay stretcher pellets.

Carb Guard: http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-an...Carb-Guard.pdf

Sentinal LS : http://blueseal.com/files/other-pdfs...llSheet_LS.pdf

Which should I go with ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    So ... I am thinking of trying a low-starch Blue Seal feed for her to offset the
    sugar/starch in the spring grass.

Carb Guard looks good, but Sentinal LS has higher fat - so I can eliminate the Omegatin. I want to keep her on the hay stretcher pellets.

Carb Guard: http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-an...Carb-Guard.pdf

Sentinal LS : http://blueseal.com/files/other-pdfs...llSheet_LS.pdf

Which should I go with ?
    Hm, I can't actually find a carb number for the Sentinel.

My BO feeds Sentinel, either the Performance LS or the Senior, which is also LS. The Senior seems to be better for older horses and those who aren't being worked heavily. My mare's on Performance LS and she loves it. The Sentinel feeds may be a bit more expensive.

If your mare is at all an easy keeper and is out on grass, she probably won't need Hay Stretcher and may not need pellets, either. There are various "ration balancers" and vitamin/mineral supplements for horses that get all their calories from pasture.

You know what I'd do? Call Blue Seal and ask them!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

She'll be on grass, but with a muzzle 24/7.
    Last time she was on grass with the muzzle, she did need some
    grain (maybe 1 qt total a day if that).

I added the hay stretcher years ago because most boarding farms don't/won't feed
    as much hay as I'd like my mare to have. She's 16.1 hands and 1200lbs and
    very muscular (not fat).

She doesn't get grossly fat without the muzzle, but her feet heat
    up as she is prone to laminitis - esp in the spring and fall when the grass
    is growing like crazy and has a lot of sugar/starch. So, she's muzzled.

I'm sure I'll have to play around with the feed to get it 'just right' for her,
    but I need to start somewhere !

I should probably mention that she tends to be a bit full of herself and hot, so she doesn't need anything that will rev her up too much. And she's 19 going on 3 !

Neither, and I would use their Min-A-Vite Lite (ration balancer).

Add forage cubes and/or oil if she needs additional calories for weight.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Strider is around 30% Nsc, blue seal hay replacer pellets are around 23%. Sentinel LS is around 17%.

Does she need grain to keep her weight up? Personally I loved the Performance LS - my old guy did great on it - very high in fat with a low NSC of 13. He was on it for years right up until his last day. It makes a great mash too. The Carb Guard has a NSC of 7.8 (and 8% fat vs. 12% for the LS). I also prefer extruded nuggets (which the Perf. LS is) over pellets - some horses are picky and prefer one texture over the other. The other thing about the Sentinel line is that the nuggets are rather large and light and some horses get overwhelmed when a huge amount is dumped in their bucket. You have to remember to feed by weight and not volume. Pellets weigh more per quart than the extruded nuggets. The Sentinel Senior is great too but only 5.5% fat and my old guy needed more than that (hence why I fed him the Perf LS). Their Hay Stretcher is 17.2 NSC - higher than I like but most horses I know are on it - that also makes a great mash (I have always soaked all my feed every morning and every night).

Definitely stop the Strider! That is super high in NSC's - 33.6%!

(all those NSC's were emailed to me by a Blue Seal sales rep - you can call them and get all the info you need - they are super helpful).

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

One of mine would not touch the carb-guard, it has a fake cherry sort of smell. If your horse is picky, she might not eat it.

I like trotter for easy keeper types as it is lower NSC and high fiber.

Min-a-vite lite and alfalfa pellets might also be a good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    Does she need grain to keep her weight up?
    She gets the same amount of Strider year round now where she is now because there is no grass. In winter I add Omegatin for the higher fat content. On grass, she does not need as much but she def needs some. The barn before this one had quite a bit of grass and she only needed maybe 2/3 or half of what she is currently getting. She is in moderate work, I hunter pace on the weekends and she needs to be reasonably fit.

My current barn only feeds Strider - they don't offer another grain. They do buy the hay pellets because they are cheaper than grain and come frome the same place. The hay pellets have enabled me to keep my mare's weight were it should be without adding too much Strider - she is on the hot side so less grain is better. And, they don't really feed an adequate amount of hay.

I was worried that she wouldn't like the taste of Carb Guard. She can be a little picky and is suspicious if her feed changes.

Ughhh Strider - sorry that's all they feed. A lot of people feed the hay stretcher to help with weight which is okay as long as they know it's not a feed that contains any vitamins/minerals. If your mare is picky you can always try their Dynasty line - the Pro 14-10 replaced their SBP 14-10 - the SBP was low in NSCs (12%) - not sure what it is for the Dynasty but I'm assuming its comparable. Blue Seal created that line to compete with Triple Crown Senior and Complete. The Carb Guard does have a cherry-like smell to it and some horses don't care for it while the Dynasty line smells really good. Trotter has a NSC of 19.9% and is low in fat but high in fiber - not my choice of feeds but many barns feed that as kind of an all-around type of feed. Min-a-vite lite is also a good choice for getting required vitamins/minerals - a lot of easy keepers are on this as they don't really need grain. Maybe that with hay stretcher or alfalfa pellets like mentioned above? I'd probably contact Blue Seal to see what they suggest but it might also depend on what your mare will like :-).
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I've had great luck with Sentinel with all matter of horses. I use either the Senior or the Performance, depending on what horse I'm dealing with.

I think I'm going to start with the Sentinel & hay pellets, and then adjust as I see how
    it goes.

She may only need the ration balancer in the end, but it's been 8 years since
    she was on any kind of grass, and she is 19 now, so I'm not sure what to expect.
    I'd rather see her gaining a little weight and need to cut back/adjust than see her
    loosing it and then trying to play catch-up. She's at a pretty good weight now.

I should probably mention that she's getting SmartPak Senior, Quiessence, SmartHoof
    and pelleted electrolytes. The supplements are all pelleted as she will leave the
    powder in the bottom of the bucket otherwise.

Another proactive measure you can take is to get a plastic bin and soak her hay for several hours before she comes in each day. Then drain and feed it to her. That will help leach out the sugar in it. The owner of the laminitic horse at our barn just began soaking the hay again last week and lowering the horse's turnout hours. She goes out in the morning and is in by noon.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I feed the Blue Seal Dynasty SBP-14-10. It is very comparable to Triple Crown Senior. In fact, BS used to make TCS, and this is essentially the same feed. LOw NSC I believe as it is Beet Pulp based. Horsie does well on it.