The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dear Kentucky I'm glad you advocate NOT wearing helmets... not

This add popped up on my side bar and annoys me that they would choose this advertisement with helmet-less kids.... just my opinion. Felt the need to vent.
    http://caffeinephotography.smugmug.c...sdCXm&lb=1&s=A

Dunno if that will work

I am sure you can send them a copy of your FB post.

I am all for people wearing helmets.

but seriously, the constant rants about it and the lack of tact in the eduction attempts are off putting.

Remember to take that deep breath and the adult beverage we talked about!

The truth is that the people who do suffer brain injuries while riding are probably only a small percentage.

of course, it sucks if you are that 0.001% but the odds are in favor of the rest of the participants.

Yes, kids should wear a helmet
    yes, it helps to wear one as adult....
    heaven knows, the only time I bumped my head was in the indoor, not wearing my bucket....every other time I bruise the other parts of my body...wonder if the horse knew? hmm.....

But should you decide to contact them after your vent here, compose the message in Word, walk away from it, edit before you send it, so you can be sure it is a tactful informative message.

And not some nutter rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

6 members found this post helpful.

lmao!! I most assuredly will!

I live here and I'm not surprised. The TB industry is the largest proportion of equines, followed by the ASB, and after that comes the Knott County Trail Ride set
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EC52YS-GU4 Nascar on hooves. (not my video so pls leave the uploader alone)

Great fun but i don't think I've seen a helmet yet.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I just saw my neighbor and her greenie rider boyfriend riding green horses down the side of the main road...two lane road, no shoulder, people regularly go about 60 mph. No helmet of course. You can't fix stupid.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I am sure you can send them a copy of your FB post.

I am all for people wearing helmets.

but seriously, the constant rants about it and the lack of tact in the eduction attempts are off putting.

Remember to take that deep breath and the adult beverage we talked about!

The truth is that the people who do suffer brain injuries while riding are probably only a small percentage.

of course, it sucks if you are that 0.001% but the odds are in favor of the rest of the participants.

Yes, kids should wear a helmet
    yes, it helps to wear one as adult....
    heaven knows, the only time I bumped my head was in the indoor, not wearing my bucket....every other time I bruise the other parts of my body...wonder if the horse knew? hmm.....

But should you decide to contact them after your vent here, compose the message in Word, walk away from it, edit before you send it, so you can be sure it is a tactful informative message.

And not some nutter rant.

See we do agree on things!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

On Tuesday one of my dear friends mounted a horse that did not belong to her but that she had ridden before. The horse instantly started running backwards and ran into a jump and flipped over on top of her. She was unconscious and seizing for ten minutes. I held her airway open as she showed bad sign after bad sign fully expecting to start cpr any second. I truly thought she was dying in my hands. It took over ten minutes for the ambulance to arrive. She was flown to the best trauma center in the country and is now home recovering from a head injury. We would not be having this conversation had she not been wearing a helmet.

4 members found this post helpful.