The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Filly doesn't want to finish her meals?

My upgrade filly is doing great; however, now that she is not bones with skin ontop, she doesnt have the absolutely ravenous appetite anymore. She gets hay twice daily (grass and high quality alfafa), enough where there's still a few bites left between meals. She also has access to mediocre-quality pasture.

It's her grain that I'm having issues with. Per the vet's instructions, she gets 3 quarts of DuMor Equistages once per day. It weighs approximately 3.5 lbs... it's also one full plastic grain scoop.

She eats most of it... I'd say 75-80%. But then she gets bored, and either moves onto hay, irritates her neighbor, does other naughty baby horse things.

But she could put on a few more pounds, and I want to absolutely be sure her nutrition is covered. She is supplemented with Grow Colt, also per vet's instruction.

She is 12.3hh, and about 575 lbs. Any suggestions? I don't know if I fed something tastier, if she'd be more inclined to eat every bite?

I really wish I could split it into two feedings, but I'm at a self-care place and cannot get out there twice daily. She IS continuing to gain weight even when she's not finishing her grain, I'm just worried.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Just as with any animal ( or kids for that matter) you can't make them eat what, when and as much as you would desire. Does she go back eventually and finish it? You might have better luck to split the grain into 2 feedings. That is almost a gallon of feed all at once and she is really no bigger than a pony. I think you will see a difference in her appetite when she has a growth spurt.

ETA: I missed where you can't feed 2x a day. Can you leave 1/2 for a friend to give her when you are not able to?

Eh, Dumor isn't on my list of great feeds to begin with.

Foals can develop gastric ulcers just as easy as adult horses, and the stress of weaning can throw them over the edge if they didn't already have them.

I would suspect some tummy issues here. Generally, a good indication is a horse not wanting to eat grain.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Eh, Dumor isn't on my list of great feeds to begin with.

Foals can develop gastric ulcers just as easy as adult horses, and the stress of weaning can throw them over the edge if they didn't already have them.

I would suspect some tummy issues here. Generally, a good indication is a horse not wanting to eat grain.
    I should clarify; I use the term "baby" loosely. She'll be 2 next month, so she's way past weaning stress.

I really don't think it is ulcers, as she shows no other signs. She also will happily vacuum up any tasty treats I toss into her feed bin, and leave the grain.

If left in overnight she will finish the grain, but she's on basically 23/7 turnout, and comes in just to eat.

Dumor is such a low quality feed, this is a good time to swap of it. Even Nutrena's feeds would be better. At least try the Life Design mare and Foal. But if you can get Triple Crown, the Growth would be leaps and bounds better

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Dumor is such a low quality feed, this is a good time to swap of it. Even Nutrena's feeds would be better. At least try the Life Design mare and Foal. But if you can get Triple Crown, the Growth would be leaps and bounds better
    Unfortunately no Triple Crown. I have Purina, Nutrena, DuMor, and sometimes Kent.

I'm just concerned about palatability(sp?). I just hate to switch to a costlier feed, which she won't eat any better than the DuMor.

Oh, and I also have Standlee hay products, as well as just plain cereal grains (oats & corn).

What about Purina Ultium Growth? It's formulated for growing horses, and is high in calories, so you could probably feed less and still end up with the same number of calories.

And do you have a Tribute dealer close to you? They make some really nice feeds and have a lot of distributors in this regional area.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    What about Purina Ultium Growth? It's formulated for growing horses, and is high in calories, so you could probably feed less and still end up with the same number of calories.

And do you have a Tribute dealer close to you? They make some really nice feeds and have a lot of distributors in this regional area.
    I've actually never heard of Tribute feeds, so I'm going to guess no. But I'll look it up and see.

Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Purina Ultium Growth is actually a pretty good feed - see if you can get that.

Kent has some good feeds, I am just drawing a blank on whether it's one of the young horse feeds.

I'd vote for Purina Strategy or Ultium Growth...far better quality than Dumor and even picky eaters love the taste of most Purina Feeds...Dumor is probably the equivalent of Alpo dog food-bottom of the barrel

Tribute is also wonderful if you can get it

If her appetite doesn't improve you should give her an ulcer supplement...Smart Gut Ultra Pellets and Smart Digest Ultra are wonderful for helping the tummy and appetite

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I should clarify; I use the term "baby" loosely. She'll be 2 next month, so she's way past weaning stress.
    That doesn't mean that she didn't get the start of them during weaning, and they're just now raising their ugly heads.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."