The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Designing 2 minute indoor xc exhibition with 1 minute set up! Your ideas?

I'm in charge of designing this exhibition ride (horse is upper level, so can have some fun!) however, since this is a "freestyle challenge" competition they have a strict 60 second set up, then the 2 minutes start whether you are done or not. This is at a horse expo and the winner over two nights gets a nice cash prize. I was told no one has ever jumped before during the freestyle part

So I'm thinking of how to build the most portable (and cheap), yet safe xc type fences. I'm thinking of putting small wheels on one end of each jump so one strong person can roll in a jump.

Like this website:
    http://www.hunterjump.co.uk/index.php?p=1272&lang=392

Then making jumps with minimal lumber such as a frame for brush and stuffed with pine tree branches (or something else???). Like the 4th and 5th photo from the bottom on this page:

http://www.hunterjump.co.uk/index.php?p=1272&lang=392

Then I'd like to have a water jump (you can't say I'm not ambitious!) I'm thinking of having a tarp rolled up with two sj poles. Place the "jump" at the edge of the arena, unroll, add poles on the other two ends and pour 10 gallons of water in the center. Then I have a water pump that pumps 5 gallons a minutes, so we can get the water out without leaving a big puddle to spook the competition (that wouldn't be nice).

As a side note, the horse can be demonstrating dressage movements if we need more time to set up. 1 minute of jumping is probably enough to make the crowd excited and not redoing the same thing over and over.

And to make if fun, the arena is 90'x 130' or about 27x40 meters.

Any outside the box ideas?

Sounds really interesting, but I don't think your water jump idea will "hold water" (pun totally intended, sorry). Any way you could get or borrow one of these? http://www.doversaddlery.com/small-p...ool/p/X1-2782/
    In your shoes, I wouldn't even bother with actual water, as 10 gallons isn't going to be more than a small puddle, and where would you pump the water when you're done? Have a helper drag the liverpool out and toss a few rubber duckies onto it - that should get the "water" point across, no? You could even just use a regular blue tarp...

Maybe use a barrel? Easy to roll out to where you need it, turn it on its side, though if you could jump it standing upright all by itself, that'd be a pretty impressive skinny...

I do like the idea of wheeled jumps - how many helpers do you have?

1 members found this post helpful.

Skinny jumps would be exciting and impressive for the audience - easier to move too. Jumping an upended barrel wouldn't be something most people have seen.

Could you have a 4-wheeler/ATV with a little trailer to drive in to the ring, do a once round the middle to drop off the jumps in the set up time? Then a once round the middle to pick up afterwards. Heck, could you jump the ATV or trailer as well? They do jump trucks at Badminton, right?

The "water jump" actually does hold water. I've done it for a water phobic horse. We used 6 poles, put sand in the bottom and ran a hose to it. It lasted all summer in the arena being ridden on every day. Never leaked (unless we over filled it!) used a premium tarp and filled it a couple of times a week when it was hor out.

The point of 10 gallons is to make a splash effect. Even most beginners know horses don't like galloping through water!

I do have a motorcycle and an atv I was thinking of using. The horse has already jumped both at a power sports meeting.

Upright barrel is a no go. The horse thinks mini-skinnies MUST be flagged. We could try adding flags...

I think you are right about people being impressed by skinnies.

Where's Gnep when we need him? Maybe RAyers can help?

I'd be thinking theater. As long as it looks solid, it doesn't have to be solid. Make a lightweight 2x4 wood or plastic frame, stretch canvas or tarp over it and paint it to look like a stone wall, coop, whatever. You could even make a corner that way, and pre-flag it. Your experienced horse will jump it (especially if you have a dress rehearsal ). Old fake Christmas trees make great brush if needed.

And if you can wrangle enough kids (pony clubbers?) or friends so there's a team for each jump, have them know where they each have to take their jumps, they an run the jumps out in under a minute. My nephew's high school theater group was into competing, and part of it is putting up and striking quite elaborate sets in next to no time (can't remember if it's 1, 2 minutes or something else, but it's timed).

Oh! Just had another thought. Can you build a Lucinda Green arrowhead out of PVC pipe, tarp on the arms, and buckets painted to look like tree stumps or stones? You can jump it three different ways: open end of the arrow to the point, point to the open end, and across the arms as a corner. If this is the middle jump in your area, you can ride it to other jumps and have lots of flexibility.

This is so much FUN!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Thanks frugal! Some great ideas!! I've just hear that I may have about a dozen helpers!! They are non-horsey though, so need to keep it simple still.

Fly racing, this sounds like fun!

Do you have enough friends - one pair per jumps - that could act as standards? Then make very lightweight but impressive looking jumps using just one pole and colored tarps etc as fillers. If you have enough people you could build a whole course and that would be impressive in itself. If you can get 20 people together that's 10 jumps that can be set up very quickly. (Just to be clear the people would be holding the poles.)
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Hi Tuppiesmom! Congrats to your DD on her big win last week!! That is so exciting!!

For the expo, I was thinking that most people are familiar with SJ and unless I could jump a 5' oxer (not going to happen), it wouldn't be that unique. However, I think it's a perfect chance to introduce a wide audience to XC! Now all I have to do is figure out how to make a coffin, water jump and a bank inside.

On a side note, are you guys offering any xc schooling days this month? I am thinking of running Pacifec at a couple of trainings if he can stay sound and comfortable. He been doing really well the last 2 years of flat work and light 3'6" jumpers (after 2 suspensories, and joint infection, and epm in the same 3 months. He went through the ringer). We could use some schooling before we travel!

Fly racing, we are back to CA this next week. Third trip there this year LOL. We have planned a XC clinic day, or days, April 27, 28.

We need more eventers around these parts!