The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Continued from Off-Topic: Discussion about the Farmer Assurance Provision

I did not get to reply back to the "Is anybody concerned with the passing of the "Monsanto Protection Act" thread on the OT. However, since it is a farm related topic, I was hoping we could continue over here.

In that thread, Daydream Believer posted this:

"Recently in India, organic farmers outproduced the GMOs by huge margins.

http://www.naturalnews.com/039766_ri...re_yields.html "

The first 3 paragraphs make me itch. Here's why:

#1 - Kumar (the grower) planted half the number of seeds. So yes, he has less competition between each of his plants, therefore allowing each one to use what is around it for nutrients without sharing with anyone.

#2 - In this example, it says THE WEEDS WERE HAND REMOVED. (Enough Said.)

#3 - This was a TWO ACRE plot. Two acres is GARDENING, not FARMING. I had trials that average 340 bushel corn on two acre plots in 2012 - in a historic drought. That is compared to 2012's national average of 123.4 bushels per acre. But I don't get articles about that in magazines, because that is NORMAL for plots. Micro-small samples of the overall picture.

Also, his 22 tons is compared to the national average. There are parts of the country where rice doesn't grow well, and their yields would also be factored into the national average they are comparing to. Do we know what his NEIGHBORHOOD, TOWN, and REGION averages were? My corn yields compared to the national average look pretty darn good, but if you compare them with my immediate region, they aren't quite as impressive.

#4 - In many of my trials, I use "unlimited" nutrients. We don't know what his fertilizer plan was. There is no info about that in the article. For me, I would expect that he used high fertilizer rates than "normal." This would be a good example of typical results of "unlimited" nutrients. However, putting "unlimited" nutrients on entire fields is highly impractical, not economical, and not recommended.

#5 - The weeds were HAND REMOVED. When you removed competition for sunlight, water, nutrients of course your yields improve!

#6 - Genetics. What variety did he plant? Does the whole nation plant the same genetic family? Is he using a new hybrid that has a naturally higher yield potential? Are others using a more defensive hybrid, rather than high yield, and he just lucked out with good weather conditions?

#7 - Did I mention that he hand picked his weeds?

Do a little digging into the credibility of NaturalNews.com before you get too up in arms. Not exactly an unbiased and reliable source of information.

The source (Truth Publishing and that cast of characters) is far more frightening than a few pesticides, if you think about it.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenrow View Post
    #3 - This was a TWO ACRE plot. Two acres is GARDENING, not FARMING. I had trials that average 340 bushel corn on two acre plots in 2012 - in a historic drought. That is compared to 2012's national average of 123.4 bushels per acre. But I don't get articles about that in magazines, because that is NORMAL for plots. Micro-small samples of the overall picture.
    this is what I was trying to say in the other thread. This 2 acre plot is going to feed a few people. A few. Not many, a few. Without GMO and the fertilizers/pesticides/soil enhancers we have now, there won't be enough food to feed people. Monsanto is a company, I am sure they aren't perfect, but sometimes I think people in this country forget what we have.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    this is what I was trying to say in the other thread. This 2 acre plot is going to feed a few people. A few. Not many, a few. Without GMO and the fertilizers/pesticides/soil enhancers we have now, there won't be enough food to feed people. Monsanto is a company, I am sure they aren't perfect, but sometimes I think people in this country forget what we have.
    People lately love to bash farmers and agriculture in general.
    No one can do right, while their bellies are full, their pantries overflowing and they have superstores with some of the most abundant, varied, cleanest, already prepared and safest food the world has ever seen.

People also love to bash doctors and medicines, alternative medicine is perfect, of course, all that until they are very sick and the ER doctor saves their bacon.

People will bash attorneys right and left, until they need one, then that one is perfect, of course.

And so on.

When we live in a first world, we have first world problems, as reflected above.

May they be so lucky to never have to live in times and places where they may have any real need.

4 members found this post helpful.

land in India is messured in hectares which is about 2.5 US acres to one hectare

22 tons of rice is pretty good pile.... While in Cambodia we uncovered a 100 ton storage pile and that took two days to fly out and we couldn't get it all so I called in F4s with napalm to burn it

so are you saying that in Cambodia they routinely grow 22 tons of rice on what, 2.5 acres? And they will feed the world? Which then means Monsanto doesn't need to be protected in Cambodia?

Honestly, I don't understand what you mean by your post unless it is that Cambodia can grow 22 tons of rice and hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    so are you saying that in Cambodia they routinely grow 22 tons of rice on what, 2.5 acres? And they will feed the world? Which then means Monsanto doesn't need to be protected in Cambodia?

Honestly, I don't understand what you mean by your post unless it is that Cambodia can grow 22 tons of rice and hide it.
    My point, dear, is 22 tons of rice is a hell of lot of rice that will feed a lot of people

Also when using comparison data is nice to know the base lines. If one is supposing an acre is an acre but not aware of the different measurements then whole discussion become worthless

Also the article does not say if the weight is in metric or US tons.... my thoughts are the messurement is in metric tons (long tons) with is 1.10231 times greater than a US short ton.

I had a Fb friend post about "suicide farmers" in India yesterday. I googled up some information on the Prince of Wales trust Bhoomi Vardan Foundation including some commentary by a native Indian blogger.

Neither GMO nor organic seem to work for the chronically impoverished small Indian farmer.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible