The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can you help me construct a kennel?

So, my neurotic dog has been shown to not be safe alone in the house while we are at work. We are taking steps to reduce her anxiety, but for everyone's safety, I have to confine her to a crate, which I hate doing and she is not a fan.

We have a big, new barn that is cool in the summer, and cozy in the winter, and the ability to seal doors as well. I would like to build her a kennel in there, so she has more room to move during the day but is still confined safely.

Any ideas on how to make one? I could purchase a kennel, and I've been scouring craigslist, but due to the space I have in mind, I might have to do it to a custom size.

Would a wood framed structure with some heavy mesh work? Sort of like a chicken coop? I want it to be solid, and look decent as well.

Like this, minus the "house" part
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...psf42ed9bb.jpg

That is cute! But, not knowing your dogs issues, would she chew the wood? Dig at the wire and maybe detach it from the wood?

I'm assuming you don't have an extra stall? I would really just advise getting a wire "kennel in a box" from Lowe's or Home Depot. They are quick, easy to put together and worth the money. If you need a custom size I'd do a google search and find one that's 10x6x6.

I wouldn't advise making one yourself. The gauge of the wire necessary is too hard for most diy-ers to handle.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

how big is the dog?

We had a dog once who could not be contained by normal fences. She would yank on the DIY grade chainlink until it fell open like unzipped! Climb over, dig under.

I like that pictured kennel!
    But the wire components I would suggest to use heavy gauge wiremesh, welded. The area is not too expensive to go commercial grade!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I bought a "Lucky Dog" kennel at, I think, Lowes. It came with 7 five foot panels and a 5 ft gate panel. I used it against my house where the doggie door came out, so I could have made it even bigger, not having to fence that size. It had hollow feet so I had the handyman pound rebar in and then slide the panel over that to help stabilize it. Easy to install, might not work for a really determined dog, but plenty strong for most! I think I paid $300.

If your dog is not safe to be in the house because of anxiety, s/he may not be safe outside either. Outside, as in away from her people, may increase her anxiety and create worse and/or different behavior issues. I've seen where dogs have chewed through walls, chain link, plywood or variations.

Right but she's away from her people regardless. It's while we're at work only. I just figured she'd be happier in a larger area, and the only place we can do it would be our barn. It wouldn't be outside, it would be inside our (closed up) barn.