The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Very interesting thread and timely! I have been considering heading over the dark side with my current horse and have had several people comment that he needs to be an eventer. This is him Carols Hero

He LOVES hacking out and jumping outside of the ring. I think he is starting to "get" jumping in the arena and is beginning to enjoy it. My dressage instructor thinks he has talent for dressage; we are currently taking lessons just to get good flatwork basics on him. I love hacking this horse out, but I wish he had a better work ethic in the arena. I am not used to a push ride, and that is what he is in the arena. He is also a bit quirky and I wonder how much some of his other ancestors play into that (Halo?).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

To each his own. To me Mull of Kintyre looks downhill/butt high and his pasterns look long and skinny. Where are his hooves?

Hay Patcher was the dam of Broad Brush.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Australian racing is even more sprinting oriented than the US, so I've read.

My girl is of Danzig descent, (she looks just like her father's whole line https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...37874298_n.jpg ) and she has 3 or 4 full siblings up in VA that compete Hunters or Eventers and do very well. We are the slackers, being that I'm not currently competing but she has a great disposition, never marey, has some spook that we've been working on. And absolute yes about the warmblood build! Her Coggins always comes back labeled as anything but TB.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Quote Originally Posted by xcatheart View Post
    I have a Danzig grandson (sire is Belong To Me). Big warmblood looking and moving type with huge suspension! Very brave and cocky; thinks he is THE KING and we are here as his peons! Very level headed, if he spooks, it is in place. God forbid if he let on that anything shook his KING status! Lol! Bold xc, but sometimes pulls a rail in SJ, partly because we are still developing and partly because he likes HIS idea better, since he is THE KING after all! Lol
    I've got a half brother to your guy, Eightyfive Union (out of Close to the Top). He goes by Gunar now. Gunar is also a big solid warmblood looking horse who moves beautifully. He is very friendly, gets along with all other horses and expects every person who sees him will instantly fall in love with him. He has had, however, a wicked spook and buck. MagRestore and a low NSC grain have pretty much solved that issue. He isn't likely to ever make it big as a sport horse as he belongs to me, a 50-something cowardly re-rider. I love him to pieces, though. He is the horse I've dreamed of since I was 12 years old. I love him so much I lost 25 pounds last year so I could ride him.

This is my daughter on Gunar a couple of years ago.
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ndGunar045.jpg

This is me on Gunar 6 years ago. We took 2nd place in the 4-H leaders pleasure class. The appy trotted slower. http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...r/3-day223.jpg

This is Gunar and I sharing some quiet time.
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...azingGunar.jpg
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Thank you all so much for your reply's! I did buy him he is home with me now, and he is absolutely incredible!! Huge 17 hands 5 yrs old bay no white. He has an enormous stride and enough suspension to go with it! A beautiful eye and sweet personality! He is going to enjoy some down time, then he will start retraining to be my next event horse!! I am so excited I have been looking for a while and nothing ever seemed to work out, then he came along! It's true good things come to those who wait!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations on finding your next partner.

Quote Originally Posted by xcatheart View Post
    I have a Danzig grandson (sire is Belong To Me). Big warmblood looking and moving type with huge suspension! Very brave and cocky; thinks he is THE KING and we are here as his peons! Very level headed, if he spooks, it is in place. God forbid if he let on that anything shook his KING status! Lol! Bold xc, but sometimes pulls a rail in SJ, partly because we are still developing and partly because he likes HIS idea better, since he is THE KING after all! Lol
    Would love to see your Belong to Me child. We also had a Danzig grandson by Belong to me. Shortish, pony gaited and quite frankly one of the single worst purchases I ever made horse wise. Stakes winner. He was a machine XC though.

1 members found this post helpful.

Congrats on your new horse!

I bought a Danzig grandson as my first event horse last May. He does fit in exactly to what Vic_007 said about being somewhat tough and bold, but talented.

Pedigree - http://www.pedigreequery.com/call+me+champ2

He's quite nervous and spooky horse overall and I find that he tries almost too hard a lot of the time, but that's getting better as he learns more and gains some confidence in himself. We also addressed his ulcer issues which made a big difference. He's a fantastic mover and has a really super canter - a LOT of ability for the dressage, but often thinks he knows best and has difficulty accepting corrections sometimes. Over fences, he's incredibly bold and for the most part pretty easy, although the same issue of accepting corrections comes up every once and a while. Even with all of his quirks, I really love him and get a ton of positive feedback on him everywhere he goes.

I also have a Belong to Me, out of a Roberto mare. He is flashy, big and big boned, moves with suspension, and also has this "I am the King" attitude. He would have made a great eventer if I had moved in that direction earlier (rather than hunters).

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Would love to see your Belong to Me child. We also had a Danzig grandson by Belong to me. Shortish, pony gaited and quite frankly one of the single worst purchases I ever made horse wise. Stakes winner. He was a machine XC though.
    This is my experience with Belong To Me, as well... they can be nice horses, but tend to be small/downhill. That's what I've seen from certain Danzig-line sires: stocky, chunky little horses who are tough, quick, but would not be my go-to for an UL prospect. I schooled a filly by Danzig ($$$$!) on the farm, and while she was Nice, she was a small 15h and a bit downhill. Danzig got a lot of good mares, though, so it's quite likely to have a great influence from the female side of the pedigree.

I've seen Hard Spun and Langfuhr throw some nice event prospects; I've known 2 Langfuhr geldings who were big (17h) with a huge stride. Hard Spun is still a young sire, but he has a lovely mareline and proved to be a tough, versatile racehorse. Hard Spun is out of a Turkoman mare...I assume that's where his size comes from (Point Given is also out of a Turkoman mare, and as a big boy himself, tends to throw size).

Here are some Danzig sons. You'll notice many of them are short/stocky types (with the big ND butt, perhaps a little downhill). IMO, the best sport ones are made by their dam's influence, not as much the Danzig.
    Belong To Me
    Brahms
    Exchange Rate
    Hard Spun
    Langfuhr
    Outflanker (same 2nd Dam as AP Indy)
    Rimrod
    US Ranger (dam is close relative to Dynaformer)
    War Chant (out of an outstanding Kris S mare)
    War Front (out of a Rubiano mare)
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

I don't want to hijack this thread but would anyone good with TB pedigrees like to offer some insight into my gelding's pedigree? I'm relatively unfamiliar with all TB pedigrees and bought him purely based off what he is physically, but I would love to know more about his breeding.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/call+me+champ2

I'm curious because he is not fitting the description of a Danzig that EventerAJ gave. He isn't huge (16.1 on a good day) but not stocky, chunky or downhill. However, his personality sounds similar to a lot of what is being said here. I don't have pictures accessible right now (on my iPad) but can post some later if that would help anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by quoteworthy View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread but would anyone good with TB pedigrees like to offer some insight into my gelding's pedigree? I'm relatively unfamiliar with all TB pedigrees and bought him purely based off what he is physically, but I would love to know more about his breeding.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/call+me+champ2

I'm curious because he is not fitting the description of a Danzig that EventerAJ gave. He isn't huge (16.1 on a good day) but not stocky, chunky or downhill. However, his personality sounds similar to a lot of what is being said here. I don't have pictures accessible right now (on my iPad) but can post some later if that would help anyone.

Lovely pedigree! Danzig crossed quite well with Alydar; Alyzig is similar to Hard Spun, in that he's Dazig over an Alydar-line mare. Call Me Champ has a lot of Old lines up close-- you don't usually find them so close on a young horse!-- as his dam was 25 years old when he was born. I really like Appalachee and Double Jay. Really nice pedigree, can see why he would be a lovely horse! Danzig could be a rather "minor" player in this pedigree with all those other great influences.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    This is my experience with Belong To Me, as well... they can be nice horses, but tend to be small/downhill. That's what I've seen from certain Danzig-line sires: stocky, chunky little horses who are tough, quick, but would not be my go-to for an UL prospect. I schooled a filly by Danzig ($$$$!) on the farm, and while she was Nice, she was a small 15h and a bit downhill. Danzig got a lot of good mares, though, so it's quite likely to have a great influence from the female side of the pedigree.

I've seen Hard Spun and Langfuhr throw some nice event prospects; I've known 2 Langfuhr geldings who were big (17h) with a huge stride. Hard Spun is still a young sire, but he has a lovely mareline and proved to be a tough, versatile racehorse. Hard Spun is out of a Turkoman mare...I assume that's where his size comes from (Point Given is also out of a Turkoman mare, and as a big boy himself, tends to throw size).

Here are some Danzig sons. You'll notice many of them are short/stocky types (with the big ND butt, perhaps a little downhill). IMO, the best sport ones are made by their dam's influence, not as much the Danzig.
    Belong To Me
    Brahms
    Exchange Rate
    Hard Spun
    Langfuhr
    Outflanker (same 2nd Dam as AP Indy)
    Rimrod
    US Ranger (dam is close relative to Dynaformer)
    War Chant (out of an outstanding Kris S mare)
    War Front (out of a Rubiano mare)
    I agree, the Dam side is usually of great influence I did have the chance to meet Ascot Knight though when I worked at Windfields and my mare is the spitting image of him personality and conformation wise. I did not ever meet or see her dam though... AK was known to be quite an arrogant stallion (I really liked him though).

Regarding conformation, she is built very warmblood like and most people mistake her for a wb! She is only 16.1hh but her canter stride is very generous and ground covering, and it is very natural to her. We usually have trouble finishing lower levels without time penalties for being too fast, and she is not even "trying" to go fast!
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Just saw this post... I have a Danzig great grandson. http://www.pedigreequery.com/delaware+bound
    Not sure how much Danzig influences him but I feel like bragging. Easy going guy, incredibly brave. Same as xcatheart, if he spooks it's in place. Point and shoot jumper, has never stopped at a single fence. A bit more stubborn with dressage, but very willing to learn and tries so hard. Also acts like he is the king. If he doesn't like something he definitely lets you know, but in a comical way. Above all, the sweetest most in-your-pocket horse I've ever met.