The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Their stuff seems pretty shady to me. I wouldn't order from them, personally.
    FWIW, I put my Oldenburg on this stuff for a month. Vet checked it out, healed her ulcers. Nothing shady about it at all. Ships from FLA, not Canada.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I have used and was happy with the result-- it is "suppose" to have buffer in it. I thnk Big D also offers a similar paste with buffer in it for a little more.
    Have also used with happy success the pentasan in individual vials (but I understand Wedgewood pharmacy for the pentosan is a lot cheaper.) Came from Florida.

We have 3-4 prescriptions here in the house. None of them made in the USA. It's a comfort level thing, totally--I get that. My comfort level is A-OK with India.
    I keep waiting for you (especially) to provide evidence of the efficacy of the "pop rocks" with before/after scopes

(or maybe I'm incorrect in my assumption that you medicate your horse with the Abler product, in which case, most humble apologies )

I just put an order in to HorsePreRace on Monday, got a conformation from Fedx saying it will arrive on Thur. My mare has done wonderfull on the canadian omperazole. I will be tapering it down to 1/4 of a tube this week. I also have her on RiteTrac and she is eating well and her behavior is so much better. Overall I have my 4 year old back.

I guess I should ask my BO or vet this, but can anyone tell me what dosing they used? % of tube per day for how long? My horse doesn't have regular ulcer symptoms, and is on SmartCombo (includes SmartDigest) as well as the U Gard poweder (I think I said this already?) but she just feels... wound too tight? to me. I can't really describe it. She's very alert/sensitive anyway, but I think she needs to chill out a hair more. The spooking on trails on the property (the same trails we walk every time we ride...) needs to stop.

Also, her tying up is stress related, so I'm doing everything I can to manage that.

Quote Originally Posted by emirae1091 View Post
    I guess I should ask my BO or vet this, but can anyone tell me what dosing they used? % of tube per day for how long? My horse doesn't have regular ulcer symptoms, and is on SmartCombo (includes SmartDigest) as well as the U Gard poweder (I think I said this already?) but she just feels... wound too tight? to me. I can't really describe it. She's very alert/sensitive anyway, but I think she needs to chill out a hair more. The spooking on trails on the property (the same trails we walk every time we ride...) needs to stop.

Also, her tying up is stress related, so I'm doing everything I can to manage that.
    I would almost be inclined to try a magnesium supp before treating for ulcers. With the disclaimer to talk it over with your vet first, of course..

1 members found this post helpful.

We actually started magnesium yesterday or the day before. I tried it a while ago (a year or two?) and it didn't help, but it's worth a shot again.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I keep waiting for you (especially) to provide evidence of the efficacy of the "pop rocks" with before/after scopes

(or maybe I'm incorrect in my assumption that you medicate your horse with the Abler product, in which case, most humble apologies )
    I may be WAY off base... but I thought SOMEONE did a chemical study of the buffering/coating on the blue pop rocks and posted it on COTH. I truly can barely remember but it sticks out in my brain that someone did. IF the buffer works... and IF what is inside is omperazole... then there's no reason the pop rocks shouldn't work as well as any other buffered omeprazole product. And there's certainly plenty of data that omeprazole works if it gets to the right place via a coating/buffer.
    Last edited by vxf111; Apr. 9, 2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typos
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post

I use the Abler products as a general preventative for horses that travel, not to treat ulcers--haven't had the misfortune of a horse with ulcers, thankfully.

But what you're really asking is whether I "believe" there is omeprazole in Abler's product, yes? Not whether I think omeprazole works. The answer to the former is yes, I am willing to take them at their word that their product contains omeprazole. It is, yes, a bit of a leap of faith. But I don't consider it (personally--remember this is an opinion held by one person, myself) any more of a leap than what many people make when they buy a supplement, an herbal product (those I consider WAY more iffy both in quality, safety, and even guaranteed analysis), a poultice, or many other things that we hear about daily. Including MANY of the items in the HorsePreRace catalog. I don't do "proprietary formulas".

Hope that clarifies. If I had an ulcer diagnosis, yes, I would scope and I would use pop rocks and if I had the cash and the horse had tolerated the initial scoping well, I would probably scope again for academic curiosity. I would probably do the same if I were using the "brand name" stuff.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I may be WAY off base... but I thought SOMEONE did a chemical study of the buffering/coating on the blue pop rocks and posted it on COTH. I truly can barely remember but it sticks out in my brain that someone did. IF the buffer works... and IF what is inside is omperazole... then there's no reason the pop rocks should work as good as any other buffered omeprazole product. And there's certainly plenty of data that omeprazole works if it gets to the right place via a coating/buffer.
    Yes it was hey101 - this I think

the collective "we" of COTH has loads of anecdotal evidence but I'd like to see Abler who is pretending to be real Pharma, actually act like it

I use the Abler products as a general preventative for horses that travel, not to treat ulcers--haven't had the misfortune of a horse with ulcers, thankfully.

<snip>
    If I had an ulcer diagnosis, yes, I would scope and I would use pop rocks and if I had the cash and the horse had tolerated the initial scoping well, I would probably scope again for academic curiosity. I would probably do the same if I were using the "brand name" stuff.
    Yes there was my miscomprehension, I though you'd actually treated for ulcers & was confounded at your lack of scoping - except you didn't, so it wasn't out of character at all

I don't disagree with you in regards the HorsePreRace catalog; but I also am less critical of "proprietary" formulas - which exist to protect the developer ... way back when, in a before this is how the world works time, "we" spent several years synthesizing, testing, labelling, isolating, identifying & stoopidly publishing in the scientific journals, then applied for a patent, only to be scooped by The Big chemical company who had far more clever lawyers (in multiples!) ... lessons learned

Proprietary formulas can ALSO exist to dupe the buyer and to make a product seem more impressive than it really is. It is, unfortunately, up to the potential buyer to figure out which reason is being used!

I'd like to see Abler who is pretending to be real Pharma, actually act like it
    I see what you're saying, but I'm fairly certain they are using the same reasoning that Wal-Mart uses when marketing their own "store brand" of omeprazole or whatever. Why should they re-invent the wheel when these products have already been tested and studied? For those who are skeptical, I suppose some sort of independent analysis of their actual INGREDIENTS (are the pop rocks, in fact, omeprazole?) would satisfy, no?

I've used the omeprazole from HPR twice. Both times I treated using their recommendation, 1 full tube for 7 days then 1/2 a tube for the rest of the month. I've been happy with it both times.

As other posters said, it ships very fast and comes from Florida. I've not tried any of their other products and probably wouldn't.

I have been buying the tubes from HPR for several months (especially when it goes on sale ). I use it before and after I travel with Tess. She likes the flavor and does not spit it out like Ulcergard. Tess will not eat the pop rocks. This product seems to work and she likes it, so I will be sticking with it.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I have ordered from horseprerace.com and had no problems with them. I have ordered from many online sites but they seem to ship quick. There omeprazole paste worked well for me. Would recommend

I have ordered from them with no problem. I did not have great success with the product however, so I am back to paying the big bucks for ulcerguard. Disappointed it didn't work for my horse when so many others have had good luck.

I am considering trying it. I will have to talk to my vet. I am probably moving barns in the near future, and I know that will be stressful for her. There's basically no where to go but down from where we're at now! It's the nicest and best care I've ever seen, but with a relaxed attitude and lots of turnout time. No matter where we go, I'm sure it will be stressful at least for the first month for both of us.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

I have ordered the paste from HPR and my horse HATED it. He has never been bad about medications, but actually started head butting me when he saw the tube. 1 month of using it with no real results so I went back to Ranitidine. I recently bit the bullet and went with Gastrogard (my check book has yet to forgive me). Can we say dramatic difference? I did not scope my horse because he reacted to well to the TUMS and Ranitidine test. We do not know what grade my gelding's ulcers are but they must be bad. 2 weeks of GG and 1.5 weeks off and they seem to be flaring up again. So back on GG for a full 28 days.

A barn mate of mine is using the Abler Poprocks. She feels like she sees results and is happy with it. For me, a laboratory test is not enough to convince me to put my horse on it. I want to see a study of the before and after endoscopy as well as a detailed explanation of the procedure used. I also want to see true quantitative data. Sorry, but I have worked in clinical research for humans and know how stringent the FDA can be when it comes to making pharmacologics legal. I won't give my horse something that is not approved.

While the FDA is still government driven therefore influenced by $$$$$ there is a reason they exist and I'm sticking with it. Human medications go through 3-4 phases of studies and take years to become legal so why should it be any different for our animals? Just my two sense. The thought of spending another $1000 on GG makes me cringe but it works and there is research behind it.
    "As you get older, the hardest thing about riding is the ground"- anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    Human medications go through 3-4 phases of studies and take years to become legal so why should it be any different for our animals? Just my two sense. The thought of spending another $1000 on GG makes me cringe but it works and there is research behind it.
    You do realize that the Abler product contains the very same drug that is in the Merial product, right? It really comes down to a matter of believing, I guess, that the company is selling you the drug they say they're selling you. Since most of the drugs I prescribe and use are also made overseas, I personally have no issue with using products that are not made in the USA.

You do realize that the Abler product contains the very same drug that is in the Merial product, right? It really comes down to a matter of believing, I guess, that the company is selling you the drug they say they're selling you. Since most of the drugs I prescribe and use are also made overseas, I personally have no issue with using products that are not made in the USA.
    Agree. x100.

If you believe omperazole heals ulcers (and there's plenty of empirical data for that)-- then it heals ulcers no matter whether the tube says Abler or Merial.

If you don't believe that the Abler product has a proper buffer-- that's a different issue. Hey101 did a lab test and it did appear that the buffer was effective.

If you don't blieve that the Abler contains omperazole (or the proper amount of omperazole) then I am not sure why you'd be confident that the Merial product does. The tube of Merial product used in their testing is not the exact same tube you get and any company can fall down when it comes to product control etc. Maybe you think Merial has better standards than Abler, and you're free to think that, but you don't know where the Merial tubes are produced and for all we know it's side by side in the factory where the Abler products are produced.

I find it unlikely that any company making an equine Omeprazole product is going to try to get FDA approval. Merial has the market cornered, why spend the money?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/