The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Has anyone heard of HorsePreRace?

http://horseprerace.com/

I saw it mentioned in another thread, and they have a LOT of odd stuff. BUT they also have omeprazole for pretty cheap.

Has anyone heard of or ordered from them?

They also have an injectable tying up med. Sounds suspicious, but might be worth a try if someone else has ever used it.

Yes...I've ordered their Omeprazole paste a couple times...got my order within 2-3 days...I'm seeing better results with Abler's Abrazole aka blue pop rocks

http://www.abler.com/products/abprazole

Default Can we revisit or up date interstate health cert

Is there anything new as far as traveling to MD and state requirements for health certificates. I now have a 6mos passport and a self exam form to fill out. What are events and shows looking for?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Is there anything new as far as traveling to MD and state requirements for health certificates. I now have a 6mos passport and a self exam form to fill out. What are events and shows looking for?
    Haha how is this related!?

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    Yes...I've ordered their Omeprazole paste a couple times...got my order within 2-3 days...I'm seeing better results with Abler's Abrazole aka blue pop rocks

http://www.abler.com/products/abprazole
    Cool. I've seen those. I was just shocked how cheap the paste on that site was. Seemed too good to be true. My mare is on U gard powder. Thinking about switching to something a little stronger though. She's just... not quite right. Spooky and sensitive about stuff.

Their stuff seems pretty shady to me. I wouldn't order from them, personally.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't ACTUALLY planning on placing an order. I just saw it mentioned elsewhere and thought it was odd, so I wanted to ask my fellow Cothers

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Their stuff seems pretty shady to me. I wouldn't order from them, personally.
    Do you have any citations for the Abler product?
    They have a pretty cleaned up website these days but I still don't find any actual data for their product ...

Abler sells omeprazole. There are reams of information on that drug.

Some of the products sold by HorsePreRace are "proprietary" formulas. Which means the ingredients are basically "a secret". I have a big problem with that. Not to mention that some of the products used by the racing industry in general (and sold on that site) are barbaric, 19th century relics IMHO.

Do you have any citations for the generic tylenol you buy at the local CVS? It was probably manufactured overseas.

Abler sells omeprazole. There are reams of information on that drug.

Some of the products sold by HorsePreRace are "proprietary" formulas. Which means the ingredients are basically "a secret". I have a big problem with that. Not to mention that some of the products used by the racing industry in general (and sold on that site) are barbaric, 19th century relics IMHO.
    But the omperazole paste HPR sells is, as far as I can tell, plain old omperazole paste and pretty inexpensive.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

^ This
    & rumour is that it's from the same source that local vets use ...

I also thought we were talking apples & apples i.e. omeprazole paste.

And I'll repeat that Abler has "cleaned up" their site a lot ...
    and I've yet to see any actual studies on their
    Abprazoleâ„¢ sachets of enteric coated blue colored granules containing Omeprazole

As for Pre, at least they are transparent
    HorsePreRace.com is Your Shopping Source For:
    Vitamins & Supplements for Horses, Dogs / Greyhounds, Camels, Alpacas, & Racing Pigeons

I have used the omperazole on my mare with success. It took 3 weeks to start to work though. She is on a half dose right now and I added RiteTrac. She has not gone off her feed since treating. She was very ulcery to start with. They do ship fast and will answer any questions you might have.

Have you seen studies on the product(s) from HorsePreRace?

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I've been thinking about the generic omeprazole pastes from HPR and other similar sites... if people don't want to wait for Abler products, one thing folks may want try is giving their horse baking soda (sodim bicarb) immediately prior to the omeprazole paste. You don't need much- just a few grams- so either top-dress their feed with it, or simply make up a slurry paste in a big syringe and squirt it in, then give the omeprazole paste. As long as there is actually omeprazole in the tube (that's where the shady factor comes in, but folks have said they've seen good results with the HPR stuff, so I'm assuming there is at least some in there) this should help increase the effectiveness of the Canadian stuff. You could do this for any of the paste products, actually (UG/GG/ Abler paste)

(Detailed explanation of why I suggest this for those who are interested)
    I suspect that the reason the Canadian pastes "don't work as well" is that they are poorly formulated and that there is either no or not enough buffer (NaHCO3, bismuth salicylate, or similar). I wish they would list their ingredients on the website- do the products come with an insert or label information?

Omeprazole needs to be delivered to the lower GI for absorption, but is degraded in acidic environments (ie the stomach), so it needs to be formulated in a way that will either 1) deliver a buffer in conjunction with the drug, so the acid in the stomach will be neutralized for the length of time it takes the drug to pass into the lower GI (this is the concept behind UG/GG/Abler/HPR pastes), or 2) protected by a special coating that will allow the intact dosage form to pass undissolved through the stomach and into the lower GI where it will then dissolve and release the drug (the concept behind the Abler granules).

Hmm, I think 've just convinced myself to stop with the Abler products and give the compounded Canadian stuff a try... way more convenient and fast,and a sure thing they will arrive. And will also buy a big bag of Baking Soda from Costco to sit in my tack box
    ~Living the life I imagined~

I went to the website. It comforts me to know that if I ever need supplements for my racing pigeons and/or camels, they've got me covered.

12 members found this post helpful.

I used HPR's omeprazole with good results on a very ulcery horse. I wouldn't hesitate to use again. Shipping was very fast and I could see a much improved horse within several days.

1 members found this post helpful.

FWIW, for all of you looking for a cheapish, fast shipping omeprazole option:

Precision Pharmacy makes a BUFFERED omeprazole/ranitadine paste. You do need your vet to call in the order, so they have to be on board with a compounded product. My cost INCLUDING overnight shipping was about $250 for a month of treatment dose.

My vet has done the scoping before and after treatment to confirm it's the real deal and it works.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you seen studies on the product(s) from HorsePreRace?
    Nope, but have had some interesting experiences with Pharma in India ...

Abler is the developer, manufacturer & retailer - where's the data?
    Pre just flogs product, different expectations ... of course if I personally used either product, I'd be a trifle more rigorous.

We have 3-4 prescriptions here in the house. None of them made in the USA. It's a comfort level thing, totally--I get that. My comfort level is A-OK with India.

I have ordered from horseprerace, the shipping was fast, but my package was flagged for agricultural review at customs, I'm in Canada. Hpr stated on the invoice that my items were valued at a total of $25 when it was actually $200. I had to pay duty and a review fee. I was also not pleased with how my order was packaged originally, and really unhappy with hiw it was repackaged by the customs people. I ordered vials of an im med and several vials were rolling loose in the box!
    I was pleased with the product itself, but am leery to order from them again.