The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Big Chested Eventer Problems

Does anybody know of a company that makes safety vests in XL or XXL sizes? My chest measures to about 50 1/2 in. I don't need a vest quite yet because I am just getting back into riding so i will be doing a lot of flat work for a while till i feel comfortable jumping again. Thanks!

I thought you were going to ask about breast collars.

Did you contact the companies that make those to see if they have larger sizes and if not, ask why?
    Did you ask on the eventing forum?

To think that we didn't even have helmets, we had a pretty cork and velvet cap we used only at shows, but trained bareheaded, without a second thought.

Good luck in your hunt, it is good to be ready when you get started back with cross country jumping.

I'm more like 44 inches and something but I have a Casel Equi in XL that looks to be pretty adjustable (laces up the sides and the parts over the shoulders adjust). Might be worth looking into.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Try Rodney Powell--they are essentially all custom made. I ordered mine through Smartpak.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

You will most likely have to go custom, but you could check the measurements for Kantec and Airowear Outlyne-- both of them have vests designed specifically for women. Tipperary also makes custom vests.

Another vote for Airowear and Kan Teq. If you email their British customer service offices, they can tell you whether they can accommodate you. But let's just say that Airowear sizes are generous and their largest off-the-rack size goes up to 124 cm (which equals 48.81 inches, just shy of what you're describing so it's very possible that you could buy an extra 1.5 inches by letting out the custom shoulder straps.) And Kan Teq sizes all of their stuff custom, so they could almost certainly help you--but you'd have to order sight unseen from Britain.

I have another VERY big-chested friend who gets along with the biggest size of Custom Tipperary and then letting out the laces.

1 members found this post helpful.

OP, Kanteq rep is going to be at Rolex. Just in case you're going.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Aerowear Outlyne. I'm big-chested (well, bigger in general AND big-chested, lol)and have one, fits well.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I recently spent some time on a search for plus-sized protective vests. What I found was that there are several available, but the standard retailers (SmartPak, Dover, etc.) often don't carry the full line.

Check out Tipperary vests on the manufacturer's web site: http://www.phoenixperformance.com/tipperary/catalogue/. Some of them go up to a 56 inch chest.

The largest Airowear Outlyne vest fits up to a 49 inch chest (OK, 48.8 converting from metric).

Charles Owen jL9 goes up to chest size 50 inches.

Thanks for some of the suggestions guys. I hate being so big chested. I've already said that if i have to i will duct tape them down and wear a few sports bras to squish them down. i think i see a breast reduction in my future

Go with a type that uses multiple "bars" (like the Tipperary event) so it will fit around the girls better. If you get one that is a solid one piece, it just rides up. I lucked out and found a custom Tipperary that hadn't been claimed on Tack of the Day that fit me several years ago.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

I have a medium casel Equi and it is very adjustable I had the casel rep measure me at equine affair in mass 4 yrs ago and have brought the vest back for multiple small changes through the yrs. love casel Equi!!