The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Raynaud's disease....

I haven't been diagnosed with it but I have all the symptoms. Just started this winter. Fingers will turn white and numb up to to the second knuckle. And wow, it doesn't feel good.

I wear mittens to the barn and in the car. That really helps. Otherwise, I have white, painful fingers.

Anyone else? They say cold or stress can bring this on. So far, it's only cold weather for me.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

My Mom had Raynaud's. It was secondary to another auto-immune disease.

Her saving grace were hot hands!! She'd also go to Wally World and stock up on cotton gloves and mittens at the end of each winter. She always had a pair on her, just in case
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I have it. One thing that helps me is wearing down vests with long sleeve t-shirts and gloves. Someone once told me if they keep their core much warmer than their arms it helps...sure enough it helps me too!

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    My Mom had Raynaud's. It was secondary to another auto-immune disease.
    Interesting. I have other weird physical problems that may or my not be auto-immune.

Can I ask if she always has had this problem? This is the first winter I've noticed it. I'm 47 y.o. It might have raised it's head earlier but I have a strange pain tolerance - sometime things have to get out of hand before my brain gets that heads up.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

I have it. My toes turn really dark purple in winter and my hands get really painful if they get too cold. I had to quit snowboarding and I am much more prepared when going out in cold to the barn. My doc wasn't overly concerned. He said take asprin and to come back if it gets worse. Mine started two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I have it. One thing that helps me is wearing down vests with long sleeve t-shirts and gloves. Someone once told me if they keep their core much warmer than their arms it helps...sure enough it helps me too!
    Thanks. I started noticing it when I was bundled up with long johns, coat and hat but no gloves. I've ALWAYS been a cold weather wimp.

My SO thought I was blowing smoke until I stepped out of the office to bring my laptop in from my trunk. I wasn't outside two minutes but my hands went crazy. SO was horrified at my hands but at least he knows I'm not makind it up.

I have it (un-diagnosed) but thankfully this winter has not been cold enough to cause me problems. Last winter was hard and painful - I couldn't be at the barn for too long without suffering!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    I have it (un-diagnosed) but thankfully this winter has not been cold enough to cause me problems. Last winter was hard and painful - I couldn't be at the barn for too long without suffering!
    I've been lucky so far since I seem to be able to control it. But OMG, if it moves to my feet like the other poster???!!!

And honestly, I just find it a cruel joke on someone that hates to be cold in general. Kind of like, "oh cold is bad?, here let me freeze you digits off."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiddenspot View Post
    I have it. My toes turn really dark purple in winter and my hands get really painful if they get too cold. I had to quit snowboarding and I am much more prepared when going out in cold to the barn. My doc wasn't overly concerned. He said take asprin and to come back if it gets worse. Mine started two years ago.
    Dark purple? I bet your doc thought you were exaggerating. I don't. That would scare the crap out of me. Mind if I ask you age range?

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    Interesting. I have other weird physical problems that may or my not be auto-immune.

Can I ask if she always has had this problem? This is the first winter I've noticed it. I'm 47 y.o. It might have raised it's head earlier but I have a strange pain tolerance - sometime things have to get out of hand before my brain gets that heads up.
    She had it when she was younger but thought it was from minor frostbite when she was a kid. The Raynaud's really kicked up when she was 40-45. At 48 she was diagnosed with her auto-immune disease.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I've had it since I was...9 or 10? My hands and feet will get ice cold in 100 degree Florida weather, it's no fun. And to top it off, I have something called cold urticaria angioedema; basically means if I go from cold to hot too quickly, I anaphylax. So I can't even run my hands/feet under warm water when they're icy!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I have it too but it only really seems to effect my feet. Once they are cold (which can happen in any temp really) I cannot! get them warm again. For some reason laying down often causes this, so I have a heat pad but it can take up to an hour with my feet wrapped in the heat pad to warm up.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I have it-- started happening in my late 30s. Does seem a little worse as I've gotten older. Calling it a "disease" is a misnomer--it's more properly called Raynaud's "Phenomenon". It's quite common --up (to 15% of women experience it-- and in vast majority it's nothing to worry about or medicate). Looks absolutely freakish though.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

I have it... luckily this winter hasn't been too rough... I was either in my 20s or 30s when I was diagnosed. Nothing like it being 50 degrees outside and having your hands freeze and burn.... other times I'm find in the 30s w/ no gloves.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I have it too, in conjunction with other autoimmune diseases. I also find that keeping my core warm helps quite a bit (I wear vests almost every day - to the point that when I was a teen, friends/family assumed it was me trying to hide my body, not stay warm!)

I also buy hand warmers in bulk and have multiple pairs of gloves with me in case one gets wet.

I sometimes have issues with my feet too, but it takes much longer exposure/colder weather than with my hands. Sometimes my hands can be very painful after 5 min or less of weather that is not that cold (50 degrees or under).

I definitely was developing it. I was always impervious to the cold but one winter I could hardly go outside. Even in warm socks, boots and gloves, as soon as I went outside my toes and fingers became almost immediately painfully cold. It was excruciating.

Then I found out that I had serious gluten intolerance (which had been making me sick for years) and when I stopped the gluten, the issues with the cold pretty much went away.

So, if any of you feel like you have undiagnosed autoimmune issues, try going gluten free and see if it feels better.

I was waiting for Off Topic to reopen to echo what Sketcher said.

I developed Reynauds in my toes sometime in my early 40's for no apparent reason.

When I went gluten-free at 49, the Reynauds was one of the things that disappeared. I now no longer have it.

I used to have to wear socks and slippers all the time, going barefoot would trigger it. I used footwarmers outside every day. Now almost none of that is necessary (well, footwarmers still for comfort some days).

(I also lost joint pain and some digestive symptoms going gluten free).

Reynauds correlates with some autoimmune conditions, notably lupus. I do not think anyone's done research on the correlation with celiac or gluten sensitivity and Reynauds, but I suspect there is one.

Got it.

Started around 40 and has gotten progressively worse, affecting hands and feet. My physician put me on a low dose calcium channel blocker (Norvasc) when it became severe. I only take it in the wintertime and it helps dramatically.

Miserable stuff.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I have it. I had a saga.

When I was 14-16, I developed the same symptoms in conjunction with swollen, painful fingers. My skin became discolored and the tips would be so affected they would be red, painful, and crack. It only happened in the cold weather/winter. I had to give up horseback riding as I couldn't bend my fingers enough to hold the reins, and I had problems holding a pencil in school. I underwent Lupus testing and tested positive only once, and I went under a number of other tests, including dietary exclusion tests (gluten, etc) and other auto-immune testing. I was miserable. My joints ached, they would swell, and my fingers would be painful. Warmth helped, and paraffin dips helped too, but they weren't curative. I spent years seeing a rheumatologist who helped me find the only thing that fixed it -- Prozac.
    Yep, Prozac. It has nothing to do with being depressed, but the action of the antidepressant was found to help people with similar symptoms, and it helped me. However, I sill have horrible circulation (and a condition known as livedo reticularis) which is aggravated by the cold.
    The only thing I've found that offers complete relief is to avoid the cold. Thus, I moved to Florida. I'm 29 now and haven't had symptoms in 4+ years since moving. I did not want to take the Plaquenil they had me on to control the circulatory issues as it has a risk of retinal damage as a side effect, and the temperature control is the only thing that consistently works.

The final diagnosis I have is an "unclassified connective tissue auto-immune disorder." Many women with auto-immune disease are young to middle-aged when diagnosed, and they never will have a disease that has a true name or classification. That's life.

I hope this helps some, and I encourage you to seek the consultation of a rheumatologist if you are concerned. Raynaud's itself is not reason for concern, but it could be a sign of concurrent diseases. Good luck and STAY WARM!

This is my hand.... in Hawaii!!!
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL11.../406317343.jpg

I had been out in the water paddling a boogie board for about 45 mns, but still...

My hands and feet both get affected and will turn white. I've never really had it looked at by a doc, but I know someone that has had good results with acupuncture. I live up in the mountains and spend a lot of time skiing and have yet to find a pair of gloves that will keep my hands warm...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.