The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Excited, potential horse

Tonight I stumbled upon an ad for a Thoroughbred for sale, and realised the seller was a friend of mine! Not a really close one, but we both used to be at the same barn. I haven't seen her since I left in order to keep jumping, just kept in contact via FB. She is moving out to Virginia soon, and can't afford to bring him with her, she is really looking for a good home for him. He is very reasonably priced, and I can't believe my luck. The only drawbacks to this guy is that he has Storm Cat in his pedigree, and he is quite tall at 17.3hh. But, it never hurts to go look anyway. It's not that I'm afraid of taller horses, I ride our 18.0hh Hanoverian giant occasionally, it's just I usually prefer the shorter ones. I have contacted her and hope to hear back from her soon!

Here's his pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/mr+dredge
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Kalila--If you like him, don't be put off by his pedigree. We were fortunate to have Fusaichi Samurai for several years. He was out of Hidden Storm, a Storm Cat daughter. As some may recall, he was a $4.5 million 2yo who won his first race & was touted for the Derby. However, he truly hated racing and was finally donated to the TBRC. He also was 17+ hands. And a super mover and athlete. And one of the sweetest, most willing to please horses I've ever sat on. Tragically, he fractured his hock in a pasture accident, but I felt somewhat better knowing that he had a happy couple of years, enjoying life and what he was doing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Great find -- isn't funny how small the world is? Judge him by what he brings in the trial ride and what your friend tells you about him. Ask her how he is at shows, traveling, moving into new barns etc -- everything she can tell you from her experience. She probably cares very much for him and is bittersweet to lose him?

Careful not to hold his ancestors against him - esp. since he may not have any of the "colorful" qualities. Fingers crossed that he is golden! Good luck.

How exciting! I'm not much of a pedigree guru but he's got Roberto on the dam's side and I've liked all the Roberto's I've seen.

And like Justa Bob and CW said, judge him for him not for his family tree.

Keep us posted!!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! I've always kinda been a pedigree person, but judging by his dosage number, he's supposed to be suited to longer distance type races. Which is interesting because his sire has such a high dosage number.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

He actually has quite a few good lines for sport scattered throughout, although most are several generations back. On top he's got Fortino, who was the sire of Caro, one of the best lines for sport. On bottom he's also got Graustark and Raja Baba, two more that are always nice to see in sport pedigrees. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in and can give better pedigree insight... Good luck if you get him!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Love Graustark, Roberto (through him Hail To Reason), Raja Baba... All great stuff and in his dam line. Remember .. Storm Cat is just ONE of his ancestors, there are many others that can influence him. Especially since he is a gelding, judge the horse you have in front of you. Now the only potential exception to that IMO is lines known for soundness issues, but again if the horse is sound and the PPE goes well it can also mean nothing. And I didn't see any of those lines in there anyway! Hope trying him out goes well!

Wow, he has no inbreeding for 5 generations! That's very unusual. I'm another Roberto and Raja Baba fan.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Default I'll tell you the most important thing about pedigrees you'll ever need to know.

1. He never met his Daddy.

2. He has no idea how much you paid for him.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalila View Post
    The only drawbacks to this guy is that he has Storm Cat in his pedigree, and he is quite tall at 17.3hh. But, it never hurts to go look anyway.
    Here's his pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/mr+dredge
    You're right; it never hurts to look! My guy has Storm Cat in his pedigree as well and he is unbelievably sweet and friendly. There isn't a mean bone in his body.

My girl has Storm Cat in her lines (http://www.pedigreequery.com/happy+minstral) and we love her! She's sweet, easy, and while she's forward she's not hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

After saddle breaking...performance means more to me than pedigree!!! You don't ride the pedigree...good or bad. (I've got a Storm Cat grandson who is very quiet and sane...and a great mover/jumper!!) He also had a mother!!! And as for size...as long as you stay "on" it is irrelevant!! Good luck. Hope he works out for you!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I'm schedulng now to go out to see him. I'm very excited! It is sad I already have a new name picked out for him? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalila View Post
    I'm schedulng now to go out to see him. I'm very excited! It is sad I already have a new name picked out for him? LOL.
    LOL! Not at all. There's a horse I'm watching on the track and dreaming of buying when he's done running. I'm already thinking of names for him.

Well, I've hit a problem. The owner is going to be out of town from the 12th to the 15th, which is exactly when I am going to be in town. She is already going to be showing him to another person on the 11th before she leaves. Problem again, is that I leave town again on the 15th and don't return until the 18th. So I might have to wait a week after this other person looks at him, which could mean they could like him and snatch him up before I even have the chance to look at him. I'm really frustrated about this because this guy is the best prospect I've found so far near me in the last 8 months I've been looking. Any suggestions? I would like to think since I know her personally, she would at least let me look at him before selling him, even if the other person is already sold on him. But of course, I can't expect special treatment as we are both good paying buyers.

I hate to say it, but a good buyer with cash on hand will win out every time. IMHO, I think it would be a bit selfish of you to ask her to wait to sell him (if there was already an interested buyer) until you'd had the chance to see him. She needs to see a horse. Period. Whoever ponies up the funds gets the prize regardless of one's relationship with the seller.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I wouldn't expect special treatment. If I were her cash wins, what if you don't like him now she is out a sale?

Yeah, I don't expect it, just wishful and naive thinking on my part. Now I just have to try to get out there quicker so if I like him I can get to him first before the other party does.

Arrange to see the horse before the 11th, have deposit in hand
    (or travel with trailer ) ...

or be zen, if it's the right horse, everything will work out

Just be careful to keep your practical hat on when viewing any horse - even better if a friend/trainer comes with & is the official "practical hat" carrier

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Arrange to see the horse before the 11th, have deposit in hand
    (or travel with trailer ) ...

or be zen, if it's the right horse, everything will work out

Just be careful to keep your practical hat on when viewing any horse - even better if a friend/trainer comes with & is the official "practical hat" carrier
    LOL, yes!